Data CDs not being read

Adam

On my new CD drive when I insert a data CD the drive is not being read -
when I right click and OPEN or EXPLORE I'm prompted to insert a CD. If I
insert a music CD it will read and play, if I then eject the music CD and
insert a data disc it is read ok. I have tried right-clicking properties in
MY COMPUTER - I can change the autoplay options for music CDs but not for
data.

Thanks, Adam

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 17:00:56 GMT, Adam wrote:

> On my new CD drive when I insert a data CD the drive is not being read -
> when I right click and OPEN or EXPLORE I'm prompted to insert a CD. If I
> insert a music CD it will read and play, if I then eject the music CD and
> insert a data disc it is read ok. I have tried right-clicking properties in
> MY COMPUTER - I can change the autoplay options for music CDs but not for
> data.
>
> Thanks, Adam

Usually means the CD drive is on the blink. You might get by with cleaning
the drive but chances are good that the drive should be replaced.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

I've seen this problem a lot and it tends to originate from faulty cd writing
software. Take a look at this KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;886568

If you follow the steps in that link, it will usually solve the problem.

-Nate

"Adam" wrote:

> On my new CD drive when I insert a data CD the drive is not being read -
> when I right click and OPEN or EXPLORE I'm prompted to insert a CD. If I
> insert a music CD it will read and play, if I then eject the music CD and
> insert a data disc it is read ok. I have tried right-clicking properties in
> MY COMPUTER - I can change the autoplay options for music CDs but not for
> data.
>
> Thanks, Adam

Adam rambled on in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:

> On my new CD drive when I insert a data CD the drive is not being read -
> when I right click and OPEN or EXPLORE I'm prompted to insert a CD. If I
> insert a music CD it will read and play, if I then eject the music CD and
> insert a data disc it is read ok. I have tried right-clicking properties in
> MY COMPUTER - I can change the autoplay options for music CDs but not for
> data.
>
> Thanks, Adam

Look to see if any new firmware is out for your rom

Wrong.

"Black Baptist" wrote:

> Adam rambled on in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:
>
> > On my new CD drive when I insert a data CD the drive is not being read -
> > when I right click and OPEN or EXPLORE I'm prompted to insert a CD. If I
> > insert a music CD it will read and play, if I then eject the music CD and
> > insert a data disc it is read ok. I have tried right-clicking properties in
> > MY COMPUTER - I can change the autoplay options for music CDs but not for
> > data.
> >
> > Thanks, Adam
> >

> Look to see if any new firmware is out for your rom

=?Utf-8?B?TmF0ZQ==?= rambled on in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:

> Wrong.
>
> "Black Baptist" wrote:
>
>> Adam rambled on in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:
>>
>> > On my new CD drive when I insert a data CD the drive is not being read -
>> > when I right click and OPEN or EXPLORE I'm prompted to insert a CD. If I
>> > insert a music CD it will read and play, if I then eject the music CD
and
>> > insert a data disc it is read ok. I have tried right-clicking properties
in
>> > MY COMPUTER - I can change the autoplay options for music CDs but not
for
>> > data.
>> >
>> > Thanks, Adam
>> >

>> Look to see if any new firmware is out for your rom

Is that your solution?

You also can't read. Amazing....