Sign in with
Your question

Will this be able to handle games?

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
July 24, 2012 2:23:35 AM

Hello. I was wondering if this PC would be able to handle games such as Bf3 and Skyrim at high settings, 1080p. I know Best Buy is not the "best buy" a lot of the time, but I do have a large amount of gift cards for the store, and it would be easier to buy it off them. I cannot build a PC (long story). I noticed that this PC has a NVIDIA GTX 560, which isnt bad.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/iBuyPower+-+Gamer+Extreme+D...

I feel like a loser giving a Best Buy link on here, but you gotta do what you gotta do, eh?

More about : handle games

July 24, 2012 2:55:15 AM

Well, it might work out.

I'll just throw out this list... it is NOT NOT a list of recommended parts, just an approximate list of what you would get in the computer

• SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner SATA Model SH-222BB/BEBE - OEM
  • NZXT Crafted Series Vulcan Black Steel / Plastic Gaming mATX Computer Case
  • Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
  • MSI N560GTX-M2D1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
  • MSI Gift - NBA2K11 PC GAME
  • hec HP585D 585W ATX12V Power Supply - No Power Cord - OEM
  • Pareema 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model MD313C81609L2
  • BIOSTAR H61MGC LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
  • Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.4GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 ...
  • Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM
    TOTAL: $751.41

As I have indicated with the PSU selection, whatever power they are supplying will be very poor. You are missing out on some better motherboard features also.

Still, the price is not bad for what you get.... Can you get an extended warranty? Make sure that poor PSU is their problem for a few years. OR replace it as soon as you can.
    July 24, 2012 3:37:37 AM

The system mentioned isn't that bad but I agree that you could do better.

Basically, try going to NCIX Canada ( www.ncix.com and click the Canada logo) and try piecing a system together. *You don't need to buy it there, it's just that that site is really well laid out and the USA site isn't for some reason.

For about $800 to $1000 you can put together a pretty nice system.

The core components:
    - Intel 1155 CPU
    - Z77 motherboard (Asrock?)
    - 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Memory
    - 650W (approx) PSU
    - HD6870 or better graphics card (budget depending. See benchmarks)
    - Antec or similar inexpensive case ($60 roughly. fans preinstalled. USB3 front panel)
    - CPU HSF (heatsink fan, about $30 such as Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus)
    - hard drive
    - Windows 7 Premium 64-bit OEM ($100) or just use Windows 8 RC 64-bit for now (get code when it's released)

There are several good points to building your own system:
    - don't need to send entire system back for minor issues
    - can get better quality parts for same price
    - sense of satisfaction
    - don't have preinstalled software crap

Summary:
    The system you mention isn't too bad. It will play Skyrim nicely if you don't run the HD texture pack. BF3 is much more demanding (but also looks better).

*If you'd like me to help you put together a system I'd be happy to. All I need to know is your budget, NOT including Windows, and any other pertinent details (mouse/keyboard?, Country?).

A lot of games use the XBox 360 controller now. You can get one at Walmart and other places for $40. Any Lego game, Batman Arkham Asylum/City, Prototype etc plays best with the controller.
    Anonymous
    July 24, 2012 4:11:32 AM

Thanks for the help guys. Unfortunately, I can't build my own (folks dont trust me with building something over $100), and they would rather spend more money than have me ruin something. I also have heard bad things from sites like ibuypower, so I won't be going there. Here is another system I was thinking about. Will its performance justify its added cost? (Its HP with a different graphics and PSU)

Operating system...Windows 7 Home Premium [64-bit] edit
    Processor AMD FX-6120 six-core processor [3.6GHz, 6MB L2/8MB L3 Cache] edit
    Memory...8GB DDR3-1600MHz SDRAM [2 DIMMs] edit
    Hard drive...1TB 7200 rpm SATA hard drive edit
    Office software...Microsoft(R) Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word & Excel w/ ads. No PowerPoint or Outlook edit
    Graphics card...EVGA GeForce GTX560 ***
    Power Supply...Corsair HX Professional Series 650-Watt***
    Primary optical drive...SuperMulti DVD Burner edit
    Networking...Wireless-N LAN card (1x1) edit

Total: About $900

How's it look? Notice the graphics is NON SE and NON TI.
    Here's the link to-
    The computer- http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products...
    The graphics card- http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Superclocked-Mini-HDMI-Graph...
    The PSU- http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Professional-Certified-co...

The way its going, the PSU might be sold out soon!!
    !