Has my PSU damaged the other parts?

ethilen

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Hey guys

some days ago I was playing black ops 2 when suddenly I heard a terrible sound came from the back of my PC. It was my PSU which is Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W. I took it for guarantee. It suddenly turned off after that terrible sound and wasn't turned on again.

I am worried as it might have damaged the other parts like VGA which is Gainward Phantom GTX 580 connected directly to PSU by an 8pin and a 6pin,,,and my mainborad and Ram.

Is it possible that my PSU has damaged the other parts considering the fact hat Cooler Master PSUs are great PSUs and of course the company has already thought about such incidents and has put something in its PSUs to prevent damage to other parts in case of such incidents? (hope they have)

Please help me as I am worried a lot till my PSU gets repaired so I can check to see if the other parts are still ok.

ethilen

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Hey guys

some days ago I was playing black ops 2 when suddenly I heard a terrible sound came from the back of my PC. It was my PSU which is Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W. I took it for guarantee. It suddenly turned off after that terrible sound and didnt come back on again.

I am worried as it might have damaged the other parts like VGA which is Gainward Phantom GTX 580 connected directly to PSU by an 8pin and a 6pin,,,and my mainborad and Ram.

Is it possible that my PSU has damaged the other parts considering the fact hat Cooler Master PSUs are great PSUs and of course the company has already thought about such incidents and has put something in its PSUs to prevent damage to other parts in case of such incidents? (hope they have)

Please help me as I am worried a lot till my PSU gets repaired so I can check to see if the other parts are still ok.

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
If you bought a good quality PSU then it is likely it has saved all the other hardware in the pc from electrical death. Since they have alot of protection for overvolt, voltage spikes. or under volting and ripple protection. If you bought a cheap power supply then the chances are if it blows it will take another bit of hardware of the pc out at the same time.

ethilen

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009

Thank you, you are absolutely right about buying a good PSU, I do agree .

D

Deleted member 217926

You are very mistaken. Coolermaster power supplies are junk with very few exceptions. Coolermaser and Thermaltake both have great cases and other accessories but sell junk power supplies. Most people just don't know any better.

Could it have taken other parts with it? Yep. Only way to know is to try them.

Get a quality unit. Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, XFX, Silverstone, Enermax, OCZ, Antec and the 80 Plus Gold Rosewill units are all good to great.