New build, need suggestions on mobo/processor.

mattangle

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2012
I want to build a backup gaming computer, something that will run games like Sc2, LoL, CSS, and maybe even WoW. It truly is not going to be fancy, it will only get used if my first system is under maintenance, or during one of the rare times I can convince my wife to game with me. I don't have a budget, but I am going as cheap as possible. First thing is that I have an old graphics card around, its a GeForce GTX 260 (896MB GDDR3), will that run the games I am after? If so what is my best bet for a mobo and processor that are as cheap as possible while not funneling this graphics card? If this graphics card is not sufficient suggest the bare minimum graphics card that will run these games. Tyvm for any who suggest/help with my questions here!

Solution

Here is a list from newegg, of an AMD CPU, Motherboard & Cooler, for a total of $203, This AMD chip is slightly slower then the Intel, but is cheaper, and makes use of a stronger IGP built into the CPU itself -

ASRock A55M-HVS FM1 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - $54

AMD A8-3870K 3.0 GHz Quad Core Socket FM1 - $120

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro (works with FM1) - $30

And one of an Intel CPU, Motherboard & Cooler for a total of $220, This Intel chip, despite being a dual core, is faster then the...

DComander1x

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

The Geforce 260, or at least its 216 core variant, is capable of running League Of Legends at around 50 or so FPS at the highest settings, though SC2, and WoW it might bottleneck at around 30 or less FPS, but none the less, it is still capable at medium to low settings on many games, so paring that with a Core i3 or i5 from Intel, or An A8 from AMD, with a reasonably priced motherboard, will do pretty well for a backup system.

mattangle

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2012
I would like too be under 250, between the mobo/processor, I am only hoping for decently playable fps, on medium settings. I can up my budget if I am being too cheap, but 250 between the two was what I had planned on.

DComander1x

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

Here is a list from newegg, of an AMD CPU, Motherboard & Cooler, for a total of $203, This AMD chip is slightly slower then the Intel, but is cheaper, and makes use of a stronger IGP built into the CPU itself -

ASRock A55M-HVS FM1 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - $54

AMD A8-3870K 3.0 GHz Quad Core Socket FM1 - $120

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro (works with FM1) - $30

And one of an Intel CPU, Motherboard & Cooler for a total of $220, This Intel chip, despite being a dual core, is faster then the AMD, considering that the design is stronger and makes use of Hypethreading, but is more expensive as a consequence -

GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3V LGA 1155 mATX - $70

Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155 Dual Core - $120

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro - $30

These builds can both run games decently, and at considerable FPS, but as this is a low-end build, FPS is limited here due to budget. $200+ for the CPU will net you an i5 or i7, with considerable performance.

Solution

g-unit1111

Titan

A Hyper 212 is so much better than that Arctic Cooling fan - I have one of both and the Arctic Cooling fan broke in several pieces when I was installing it, horrendous choice.