I want to kill the My Documents folder icon in Win Explorer

April 13, 2005 5:20:54 PM

I am in the final stages of kicking XP Home, which I installed about a
week ago, into shape.

Like a bad dog that it is, I have taught it to obey my will in every
respect so far except this one and those I have not thought of yet.

I would like to make the My Documents folder shortcut icon disappear
from the left hand pane of Windows Explorer.

I don't need to know how to remove the My Documents folder icon from the
actual desktop. I have done that already.

I wish to banish it from the left hand pane of Windows Explorer, both
from the from Desktop folder view and the Documents and Settings folder
view.

I want never to see it again.

I do not care if it lives in some dank, dark recess of XP's bowels, but
I wish never to see it again in this lifetime or the next.

I have already tweaked the registry thusly, as per this website,
http://www.jsifaq.com/subh/tip3600/rh3633.htm
QUESTION: How do I remove the 'My Documents' folder from the desktop,
Windows Explorer, and the standard Open dialog?

ANSWER: Add Value name {450D8FBA-AD25-11D0-98A8-0800361B1103}, a
REG_DWORD data type, at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\NonEnum

A data value of 0, the default, displays the My Documents icon. A data
value of 1, removes the icon.

On my system, the last sentence is not quite true. This tweak merely
moved the My Documents folder icon from the top of the Desktop view in
the left hand pane of Windows Explorer to the bottom of that view. While
this is a vast improvement, I wish rather to drive the wooden stake into
the heart of this beast and lay it to a good Christian rest or eternal
damnation. I do not care which. I have hardened my heart.

Jack

And this masquerades as progress:

"Click here if you're using Internet Explorer 6.0 with Windows XP or if,
for any other reason, your download doesn't begin automatically."

This says it all:
http://hp.msn.com/%5B!/BF+K%7DTXR%603U%7BEW3BOST3W.jpg
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 10:38:44 PM

Why?

"Jack" <jack@xyz.com> wrote in message
>I am in the final stages of kicking XP Home, which I installed about a week
>ago, into shape.
>
> Like a bad dog that it is, I have taught it to obey my will in every
> respect so far except this one and those I have not thought of yet.
>
> I would like to make the My Documents folder shortcut icon disappear from
> the left hand pane of Windows Explorer.
>
> I don't need to know how to remove the My Documents folder icon from the
> actual desktop. I have done that already.
>
> I wish to banish it from the left hand pane of Windows Explorer, both from
> the from Desktop folder view and the Documents and Settings folder view.
>
> I want never to see it again.
>
> I do not care if it lives in some dank, dark recess of XP's bowels, but I
> wish never to see it again in this lifetime or the next.
>
> I have already tweaked the registry thusly, as per this website,
> http://www.jsifaq.com/subh/tip3600/rh3633.htm
> QUESTION: How do I remove the 'My Documents' folder from the desktop,
> Windows Explorer, and the standard Open dialog?
>
> ANSWER: Add Value name {450D8FBA-AD25-11D0-98A8-0800361B1103}, a REG_DWORD
> data type, at:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\NonEnum
>
> A data value of 0, the default, displays the My Documents icon. A data
> value of 1, removes the icon.
>
> On my system, the last sentence is not quite true. This tweak merely moved
> the My Documents folder icon from the top of the Desktop view in the left
> hand pane of Windows Explorer to the bottom of that view. While this is a
> vast improvement, I wish rather to drive the wooden stake into the heart
> of this beast and lay it to a good Christian rest or eternal damnation. I
> do not care which. I have hardened my heart.
>
> Jack
>
> And this masquerades as progress:
>
> "Click here if you're using Internet Explorer 6.0 with Windows XP or if,
> for any other reason, your download doesn't begin automatically."
>
> This says it all:
> http://hp.msn.com/%5B!/BF+K%7DTXR%603U%7BEW3BOST3W.jpg

April 14, 2005 4:23:02 AM

In news:115qvoq8auc2g5f@corp.supernews.com,
Jack <jack@xyz.com> had this to say:

> Like a bad dog that it is, I have taught it to obey my will in every
> respect so far except this one and those I have not thought of yet.

That is probably an option in XSP (X-Setup Pro) from www.x-setup.net

Galen
April 14, 2005 6:11:50 AM

To remove it from Documents and Settings, simply right-click and drag it to an out-of-the-way folder you don't browse.

If you've set non-enum correctly (you did set it as hex 1 and not decimal 1, right? ;-), it won't show as a subfolder under the desktop, when you, for example, explore My Computer or any normal folder on the file system. It will show at the bottom of the subfolders if you access it by right-clicking on the My Documents shortcut on the Start Menu and select explore, because it does still exist in the desktop namespace. But surely you're not keeping the shortcut on the Start Menu if you've gone to all this other trouble. To get it to show in the folder pane after setting NonEnum, you've got to go looking for it -- so stop looking for it.

I did play around before responding to your question. Even if you remove the CLSID from the Desktop namespace, it's still there. I found that surprising. So accepting the fact that it will be there in some way, why not learn to live with it? You can rename it, you can have it point to any folder you like....don't let it get to you!

I haven't tested the following, but, the search results folder is also rooted at the desktop but seems to do a better job of staying hidden. It's CLSID is
{e17d4fc0-5564-11d1-83f2-00a0c90dc849}

you might compare entries under HKCR\CLSID\<clsid>\shellfolder for search results and my documents, and see what you can come up with.

Keith

"Jack" <jack@xyz.com> wrote in message news:115qvoq8auc2g5f@corp.supernews.com...
> I am in the final stages of kicking XP Home, which I installed about a
> week ago, into shape.
>
> Like a bad dog that it is, I have taught it to obey my will in every
> respect so far except this one and those I have not thought of yet.
>
> I would like to make the My Documents folder shortcut icon disappear
> from the left hand pane of Windows Explorer.
>
> I don't need to know how to remove the My Documents folder icon from the
> actual desktop. I have done that already.
>
> I wish to banish it from the left hand pane of Windows Explorer, both
> from the from Desktop folder view and the Documents and Settings folder
> view.
>
> I want never to see it again.
>
> I do not care if it lives in some dank, dark recess of XP's bowels, but
> I wish never to see it again in this lifetime or the next.
>
> I have already tweaked the registry thusly, as per this website,
> http://www.jsifaq.com/subh/tip3600/rh3633.htm
> QUESTION: How do I remove the 'My Documents' folder from the desktop,
> Windows Explorer, and the standard Open dialog?
>
> ANSWER: Add Value name {450D8FBA-AD25-11D0-98A8-0800361B1103}, a
> REG_DWORD data type, at:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\NonEnum
>
> A data value of 0, the default, displays the My Documents icon. A data
> value of 1, removes the icon.
>
> On my system, the last sentence is not quite true. This tweak merely
> moved the My Documents folder icon from the top of the Desktop view in
> the left hand pane of Windows Explorer to the bottom of that view. While
> this is a vast improvement, I wish rather to drive the wooden stake into
> the heart of this beast and lay it to a good Christian rest or eternal
> damnation. I do not care which. I have hardened my heart.
>
> Jack
>
> And this masquerades as progress:
>
> "Click here if you're using Internet Explorer 6.0 with Windows XP or if,
> for any other reason, your download doesn't begin automatically."
>
> This says it all:
> http://hp.msn.com/%5B!/BF+K%7DTXR%603U%7BEW3BOST3W.jpg

April 14, 2005 11:03:41 AM

Because he, like a lot of other people such as myself, don't work that way.
We like our personal filing system just fine. We don't like the way "the
others" organize "documents" and don't want MS making it mandatory to do it
that way.
It's like arriving for a new job and the ever smiling office manager comes
over and starts showing how "we" organize our desk. "The stapler always goes
in the center, and we only use black fine line pens...."
Unfortunately, I am quite painfully aware of why a mass produced OS like
Windows needs a "My Documents" filing system. I can also understand why it
can't and shouldn't be easily disabled by an errant click. But I don't
understand why it can't be disabled on an advanced level. That's just wrong.

"JoeM" <joem83@msn.com> wrote in message
> Why?
>
> "Jack" <jack@xyz.com> wrote in message
>>I am in the final stages of kicking XP Home, which I installed about a
>>week ago, into shape.
>>
>> Like a bad dog that it is, I have taught it to obey my will in every
>> respect so far except this one and those I have not thought of yet.
>>
>> I would like to make the My Documents folder shortcut icon disappear from
>> the left hand pane of Windows Explorer.
>>
>> I don't need to know how to remove the My Documents folder icon from the
>> actual desktop. I have done that already.
>>
>> I wish to banish it from the left hand pane of Windows Explorer, both
>> from the from Desktop folder view and the Documents and Settings folder
>> view.
>>
>> I want never to see it again.
>>
>> I do not care if it lives in some dank, dark recess of XP's bowels, but I
>> wish never to see it again in this lifetime or the next.
>>
>> I have already tweaked the registry thusly, as per this website,
>> http://www.jsifaq.com/subh/tip3600/rh3633.htm
>> QUESTION: How do I remove the 'My Documents' folder from the desktop,
>> Windows Explorer, and the standard Open dialog?
>>
>> ANSWER: Add Value name {450D8FBA-AD25-11D0-98A8-0800361B1103}, a
>> REG_DWORD data type, at:
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\NonEnum
>>
>> A data value of 0, the default, displays the My Documents icon. A data
>> value of 1, removes the icon.
>>
>> On my system, the last sentence is not quite true. This tweak merely
>> moved the My Documents folder icon from the top of the Desktop view in
>> the left hand pane of Windows Explorer to the bottom of that view. While
>> this is a vast improvement, I wish rather to drive the wooden stake into
>> the heart of this beast and lay it to a good Christian rest or eternal
>> damnation. I do not care which. I have hardened my heart.
>>
>> Jack
>>
>> And this masquerades as progress:
>>
>> "Click here if you're using Internet Explorer 6.0 with Windows XP or if,
>> for any other reason, your download doesn't begin automatically."
>>
>> This says it all:
>> http://hp.msn.com/%5B!/BF+K%7DTXR%603U%7BEW3BOST3W.jpg

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 1:48:07 PM

> Because he, like a lot of other people such as myself, don't work that
> way. We like our personal filing system just fine. We don't like the way
> "the others" organize "documents" and don't want MS making it mandatory to
> do it that way.
> It's like arriving for a new job and the ever smiling office manager comes
> over and starts showing how "we" organize our desk. "The stapler always
> goes in the center, and we only use black fine line pens...."
> Unfortunately, I am quite painfully aware of why a mass produced OS like
> Windows needs a "My Documents" filing system. I can also understand why it
> can't and shouldn't be easily disabled by an errant click. But I don't
> understand why it can't be disabled on an advanced level. That's just
> wrong.

I'm totally with you, but the fact is that it's now too late to do anything
about it...too many apps now depend upon it, and I suspect that removing it
(if it could be done) would cause more harm than good for anyone.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 2:43:43 AM

SFGAO_NONENUMERATED = 0x100000

is how search hides.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{e17d4fc0-5564-11d1-83f2-00a0c90dc849}\ShellFolder
Attributes=

So add 100 000 to the equiv in My Docs.

Use Calculator in scientific mode and in hex mode. Take My Docs attributes, AND it with 100 000, if SFGAO_NONENUMERATED is set it will return 100 000, if not set it will return 0. If it returns 0 then add 100000 to the existing attributes.

On the other hand, I'm only saying this for Kieth's benefit. It's a dammed stupid question. If you don't like something ignore it.

"Keith Miller" <k.miller79@verizon.net> wrote in message news:uG3O6EMQFHA.3196@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> [...]

> REG_DWORD data type, at:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\NonEnum
>
> A data value of 0, the default, displays the My Documents icon. A data
> value of 1, removes the icon.
>
> On my system, the last sentence is not quite true. This tweak merely
> moved the My Documents folder icon from the top of the Desktop view in
> the left hand pane of Windows Explorer to the bottom of that view. While
> this is a vast improvement, I wish rather to drive the wooden stake into
> the heart of this beast and lay it to a good Christian rest or eternal
> damnation. I do not care which. I have hardened my heart.
>
> Jack
>
> And this masquerades as progress:
>
> "Click here if you're using Internet Explorer 6.0 with Windows XP or if,
> for any other reason, your download doesn't begin automatically."

April 16, 2005 7:31:38 AM

I wouldn't suggest that, Galen unless you have plenty of time on your hands
to walk them through the workarounds!

--
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

> In news:115qvoq8auc2g5f@corp.supernews.com,
> Jack <jack@xyz.com> had this to say:

>> Like a bad dog that it is, I have taught it to obey my will in every
>> respect so far except this one and those I have not thought of yet.
>
> That is probably an option in XSP (X-Setup Pro) from www.x-setup.net
>
> Galen
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

April 16, 2005 7:38:27 AM

Thanks David for Keith and myself! :o )

--

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> [...]

> REG_DWORD data type, at:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\NonEnum
>
> A data value of 0, the default, displays the My Documents icon. A data
> value of 1, removes the icon.
>
> On my system, the last sentence is not quite true. This tweak merely
> moved the My Documents folder icon from the top of the Desktop view in
> the left hand pane of Windows Explorer to the bottom of that view. While
> this is a vast improvement, I wish rather to drive the wooden stake into
> the heart of this beast and lay it to a good Christian rest or eternal
> damnation. I do not care which. I have hardened my heart.
>
> Jack
>
> And this masquerades as progress:
>
> "Click here if you're using Internet Explorer 6.0 with Windows XP or if,
> for any other reason, your download doesn't begin automatically."

April 17, 2005 3:28:57 AM

In news:edtDt6lQFHA.3596@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> had this to say:

> I wouldn't suggest that, Galen unless you have plenty of time on your
> hands to walk them through the workarounds!

*chuckles* Time? What's that? I swear to God I had lots of free time but now
it's all gone. I'm not too sure why I got rid of it or even where it all
went but it's surely gone lately. Usually if the OP is willing to walk
through it I'm willing to take the time to do so even if it's an insane
idea. People want to customize so much of their OS these days, even beyond
the things I would normally try. These days I mostly stick to case mods and
have learned to like the OS pretty much the way it is.

Galen
April 18, 2005 6:08:47 AM

I hear you, and I can't seem to find my bottle from Jim Croche. :o (((

--

> In news:edtDt6lQFHA.3596@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> had this to say:

>> I wouldn't suggest that, Galen unless you have plenty of time on your
>> hands to walk them through the workarounds!
>
> *chuckles* Time? What's that? I swear to God I had lots of free time but
> now it's all gone. I'm not too sure why I got rid of it or even where it
> all went but it's surely gone lately. Usually if the OP is willing to walk
> through it I'm willing to take the time to do so even if it's an insane
> idea. People want to customize so much of their OS these days, even beyond
> the things I would normally try. These days I mostly stick to case mods
> and have learned to like the OS pretty much the way it is.
>
> Galen
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

April 18, 2005 2:05:43 PM

In news:o 1n12V%23QFHA.2972@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> had this to say:

> I hear you, and I can't seem to find my bottle from Jim Croche. :o (((

IIRC You dumped out the time and filled it with work which is only a single
step above filling it with a double malt. We'll have to figure out a way to
rig the DST to make an extra bottle's worth. Maybe if we sail back and
fourth across the International Date Line we'll be able to save up enough
time to make an extra day and then we could just take that day off or use it
to catch up on stuff? I don't suppose that works but with as little sleep as
I've had I'm afraid that I don't see any flaws in this theory. <g>

Galen
April 19, 2005 6:36:05 AM

Learn to sleep fast, Galen?

--

> In news:o 1n12V%23QFHA.2972@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> had this to say:

>> I hear you, and I can't seem to find my bottle from Jim Croche. :o (((
>
> IIRC You dumped out the time and filled it with work which is only a
> single step above filling it with a double malt. We'll have to figure out
> a way to rig the DST to make an extra bottle's worth. Maybe if we sail
> back and fourth across the International Date Line we'll be able to save
> up enough time to make an extra day and then we could just take that day
> off or use it to catch up on stuff? I don't suppose that works but with as
> little sleep as I've had I'm afraid that I don't see any flaws in this
> theory. <g>
>
> Galen
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

April 19, 2005 9:43:03 PM

In news:%23EHl1JLRFHA.2932@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> had this to say:

> Learn to sleep fast, Galen?

Every 24 to 36 hours I sleep for 12 and call it good. It's been my system
for ages now and I just don't have the heart to change it. Actually lately
it's been more like every 24 hours, I don't often go the full 36 these days.
Maybe because there's no more pressing issues with massive worms attacking
every three or four days?

Galen