First-time build suggestions ($700-$900)?

iHeartBoost

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: Within 2 months. Don't have all the funds right now, so i'm planning on buying parts when i can.

Budget Range: Shooting for around $800 after everything. Microcenter is local so a lot of shipping might not be needed.

System Usage from Most to Least Important:
50% Schoolwork/research (LOTS of internet tabs open)
30% Games (Starcraft 2 mainly, so pretty GPU-demanding)
20% Surfing the web

Are you buying a monitor: Considering a 2nd.

Parts to Upgrade: Everything essential: CPU, mobo, GPU, RAM, hard drive, case. Currently have a 550W Rosewill PSU and am pretty sure i'll need to upgrade.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes but i can get Windows 7 through my college for $20

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
Newegg (Not my main buying site, primarily for reviews on parts)
TigerDirect (Prob #1 b/c of prices)
MicroCenter (Just browsing, will buy locally)
PortaTech (Don't know about them, but good bundles)

Parts Preferences: Trying to setup an AMD platform but besides the processor i'm open to any suggestions affordable.

Overclocking: Probably. Have to learn more about it first, so not right now

SLI or Crossfire: Depends on where finances are. Would like to though

Your Monitor Resolution: 1280x1040 (same size if i get 2nd monitor)

Additional Comments: My system usage really varies regarding whether school is in session or if it's summer. For example, the last 2 months i've used my comp probably 80% gaming.
What i'm saying is that i would like both major computer aspects; productivity and gaming ability.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: The challenge. Doesn't make sense, i know, but i'm the kind of guy that needs the stimulation of attempting something very complex and thought demanding. It also helps keep my ADD on a leash :bounce:
This is also why im trying to stay on a cheaper budget. Im sure i could put together a $4000 comp that would do anything i ask, i mean, i'm typing this on my $1200 intel setup my pops put together for me.

Include a list of any parts you have already selected with descriptively labeled links for parts. Please do not post only links.
After doing EXTENSIVE research and comparing, i've narrowed down my CPU options to 2 that i think will be best for me:
AMD FX 4100. For a quad-core with a good amount of cache memory and a high speed rating, $100 is a damn good deal in my eyes.
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0376784
AMD FX 6100. I know 6 cores seems kind of overkill, but i think it's good future prep and considering its only $20 more, i could take the hit.
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0375766

Regarding the motherboard, this is where i decided to ask for help. Between all of the different features that come on them and all of the different chipsets to choose from, i'm not sure which mobo that fits AMD3+ will really suite my needs. Also, since i am going to have a discrete graphics card, do i even need to worry about integrated graphics?

The last concern i had was about my GPU. I am currently running a GeForce 9800 GT and after 4 years am still pleased with it. Ideally, i would like to buy another one and reuse my current one so my new system has two GPUs. But i heard linking them could be expensive so is it a better idea to just buy a single better one?

Thanks to everyone that provides any advice for me!