I7-2600 hitting very high temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

koush22

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
Hey,

I recently noticed my i7 2600 (stock cooler/speed), which I have been using for 10 months now, idles (15% load) at 45-48 degrees.

I tried some Prime 95 tests, and after about 1 minute of 100% load on all the cores the temperature hit 95 Degrees and I stopped it.

Luckily, I don't do any cpu intensive work on a daily basis, and I rarely play games, so I'm not too worried about the cpu having been damaged in the past 10 months due to heat.

However, I am kinda hoping to fix these temperatures.

Modular power supply, so cable management is decent. My case http://www.antec.com/product.php?id=2121&pid=2, I got the 2 140mm outtake fans at the top, and one 120mm intake on the side.

Any suggestions?

I'm thinking maybe the cpu fan is slightly loose or something. how could I verify?

Solution
45-48 Degrees on an i7 2600 is not bad but hitting 95 on full load is not good.

I do believe you did not apply enough Thermal Paste initially and there is not much left between the Heat Sink and CPU now.

Best thing to do is take the opportunity to buy a can of compressed air, clean any dirt from the Case, Case Fans, Heat Sink fan and Power Supply Fan.

Secondly, check all fans to make sure they all work, then buy and apply some quality Thermal Paste. I will suggest Shin-Etsu X-23-7762.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your CPU, just a bit of a good clean and reapplication of good Thermal past and you'll be amazed the new temps.

Post back and let us know how it goes.

koush22

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

It's not overclocked at all though.... That's why I was confused as to why the stock heat sink isn't holding up..

koush22

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

installed it myself. How can I verify? Just open it up and try to move it around or what?

Jimmyrigs81

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
I would start with a good cleaning if not already done. Then I would reseat the heatsink and fan using a quality thermal paste like artic silver. If that changes nothing check and make sure any fan settings in the bios are set properly. Many mobos now have controls to keep things quiet, maybe the fan is just running to slow. My i5-2500 ran pretty warm on the stock cooler but I was also running boinc. I fixed mine with a corsair liquid cooler which was overkill, I could have spent half the money on a decent air cooler that would have been sufficient.

koush22

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
Ok. Turned off "smart fan control" in the Bios, essentially the fan is running at full speed now (btw, only 1600 rpm? I thought this thing does 2000..). Now it's idling at 35-40 and 45-50 at ~20% load.

I'll open and clean it too. anyone have any tips on how I can verify if the fan is seated correctly?

Nedal0

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
45-48 Degrees on an i7 2600 is not bad but hitting 95 on full load is not good.

I do believe you did not apply enough Thermal Paste initially and there is not much left between the Heat Sink and CPU now.

Best thing to do is take the opportunity to buy a can of compressed air, clean any dirt from the Case, Case Fans, Heat Sink fan and Power Supply Fan.

Secondly, check all fans to make sure they all work, then buy and apply some quality Thermal Paste. I will suggest Shin-Etsu X-23-7762.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your CPU, just a bit of a good clean and reapplication of good Thermal past and you'll be amazed the new temps.

Post back and let us know how it goes.

Solution

Nedal0

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012

You can strap 20 fans on a PC and you'll still hit high temps, more noise and still have the issue. The basics is starting from where the temps are generated.

I don't know about liquid cooling as not many people have the time and money to invest in such projects.

koush22

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
Ok, I'm thinking if I'm going through the trouble of cleaning the CPU off, might as well install an after market cpu cooler.

What's an air cooler that will fit on z68x-ud3h-b3. The ram is very close to the CPU, So I don't think those HUGE heatsinks are gonna fit. I got 4 sticks of ram on there, not taking any out.

Nedal0

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Are you by any chance overclocking ? If you are not, then there really is no need for an after market cooler unless you have the cash to burn.

Secondly, the temps you are seeing is pretty much what you will be seeing regardless of the cooler you install. Remember, OEM's put a lot of R & D into these stock coolers so you shouldn't take them for granted unless you are overclocking

Just my opinion. The decision is ultimately yours

koush22

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
Yeah. That's what I thought... Someone further up told me to get an after market cooler and I was thinking to myself that makes no sense considering I'm running at stock speeds.

Are you sure? 95 Celsius at 100% load seems very high to me.

I'll clean the case + reseat the heat sink for good measure later this week anyway.

Nedal0

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
95 Celsius on full load is too much, and as I said before, you probably applied a bit too less Thermal Paste the last time around.

So just as you have said, clean the case, reseat heat sink and most importantly get a good thermal paste.

I suggested Shin-Etsu X-23-7762 because I have used it and I know that's what the OEM's use. Lots of people go on about applying a "pea" size on the CPU but when you see what the OEM's apply after removing lots of new CPU's from PC's, you'll understand why Temps on a PC with OEM Thermal Paste application are so low.

They indeed do apply a generous amount and that's what I do with Shin-Etsu X-23-7762.

Basically its like Thermal Pad but in a tube. It keeps my temps very low and CPU happy. Any other good thermal paste should do the job.

Do not follow online Thermal Paste application tutorials. Only use those as reference points. Do it yourself and stick to a method that gives you the lowest temps.

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

You don't run Prime 95 on stock cpu cooler, you might fry the CPU, buy a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler and you will see the difference.

koush22

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
sup.

finally got around to opening it up and cleaning the case. You guys were right there was very little thermal paste on the cpu. I applied some arctic 5 and its hovering around 30 idle now, though i understand that's gonna drop further after the break in time. thanks for your guidance.

Nedal0

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Thanks for posting back. Yes the temps should drop a bit lower in a couple of days but I think 30 Idle is quite amazing and you shouldn't be worried at all if it doesn't drop any further.

Good to hear advice from here does actually help and thanks for posting back.

People like you are the reason this forum is still alive

Thanks again and enjoy your PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS