Sign in with
Your question

Want to make sure this psu wont give me problems

Last response: in Components
December 5, 2012 10:35:31 AM

Thanks for answering, the thing is that Im using credit through dell so I dont have to pay the whole thing right away.
I already ordered that one power supply I showed you on the first post but I will just ship it back if you think its not good enough.

Here is another one from dell, I just want to make sure I didnt get some cheap kind that would burn out and mess up my computer.

Should I just send back the 650w psu I ordered and get this 750w instead?

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c...
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
December 5, 2012 10:55:54 AM

To be honest just check the 650 watt power supply, it should be more than enough. Though I don't think they are the best power supplies but they will do...
Anyways 750 watts is a bit too much if you ask me, that's enough for crossfiring video cards.
a b ) Power supply
December 5, 2012 1:08:36 PM

Well for a single 7970 you need ~280W on peak(24A).

So asumming you have a normal system(intel CPU / 2Hdd/Dvd /Fans/2 stick ram DDR3)

You will peak 430W.

So Xfx 550W will be ok .If you plan CF you will need a XFX 750W.

December 6, 2012 12:16:06 AM

I cant do crossfire so just sticking to a single card, appreciate the help. I guess Ill just stick with the power supply I ordered then if you guys dont think its gonna be a problem.
a b ) Power supply
December 6, 2012 12:16:21 PM

Well i would RMA that PSU as i dont think its good. I never heard that brand TBH.
a b ) Power supply
December 6, 2012 1:38:30 PM

Its corsair not dell.

Get only XFX/Corsair/PCP/Seasonic.

With 7970 you dont need 850W.

Anw where are you from and where do you buy so i can suggest
a b ) Power supply
December 6, 2012 5:45:25 PM

johndman187 said:
right now i can only get a psu from dell since im using credit with them so i dont have to pay all at once.

and they dont seem to carry any good brands, you think this one would be better to get than that 650w i showed?

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c...

Oh god, refurbished power supplies.....
Anyways the 650 watt power supply that goes by the name Epower, I swear it looks so similar to a Topower power supply, Topower power supplies are not that good....

Sure you can't ask Dell to exchange that credit for actual money? Or just spend your actual money on the power supply and use your credit for something else. You don't really want to skimp on the power supply.
December 6, 2012 7:01:21 PM

no i cant exchange my credit with them for cash, otherwise i would do that and just get one off from new egg.
you think the epower 650w will atleast last me a month or 2 until im able to come up with the cash to buy a better psu?
a b ) Power supply
December 6, 2012 7:28:44 PM

johndman187 said:
no i cant exchange my credit with them for cash, otherwise i would do that and just get one off from new egg.
you think the epower 650w will atleast last me a month or 2 until im able to come up with the cash to buy a better psu?

Personally it's a waste of $80 dollars to buy a crappy power supply only to use it for 2 months and then buy a high quality power supply after. If possible just set aside the video card and save up for the power supply.

Now to the real question, technically the 650 watt power supply will work for 2 months but IMHO its a waste of money like I said above. I only say this because I don't want to waste your money nor influence you to do the wasteful thing. Try and save up for any of the power supplies I or Prototype18 have listed, they are all good brands. Let me know if your going to buy an alternate power supply, I will look around on Newegg.com for any new deals/savings on power supplies.
December 7, 2012 1:31:20 PM

nice PSU you got there! should be more than enough..
a b ) Power supply
December 7, 2012 1:46:00 PM

Use your credit for something else. Buy a proper PSU from somewhere else. Or get the 850W Corsair if you don't mind it's overkill. It'll last you for years.
a b ) Power supply
December 7, 2012 3:43:46 PM

+1^ nailed what I was trying to say above, use it for something else. Also FinneousPJ took the words I was going to say about the power supply :lol: 

!