Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Asus GTX 670 is performing horribly... what else should I check?

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics Cards
June 1, 2012 1:19:02 AM

I've been debugging this issue over at the Diablo 3 forums as that's the game I'm most interested in playing right now.

History:
I was running two 9800GTs in SLI and when Diablo 3 was released I was getting horrible FPS when playing in multiplayer. I had all my settings reduced to the lowest possible at 1080p resolution and I'd get about 20-30fps, and even less when a lot of stuff is going on. The lowest I've seen my GPU (Single and in SLI, as I've tested both) was 3FPS. I figured it was time to get an upgrade...

Now:
I plugged the Asus GTX 670 DCII into my system and turned on Diablo 3. Immediately the game noticed I had a new card and upped the graphics to the highest possible settings. When I choose to enter the game I noticed that I could hear sounds before the loading screen disappeared. When the loading screen did vanish, I was staring at an environment with parts of the UI, as characters and other UI elements were popping into view over the next couple seconds. Standing in New Tristram (the starting town where nothing really happens), my FPS were all over the place... between 10-40FPS with some pretty bad spikes in poor performance. When I actually start playing I'm back to the 20-30FPS range... but at least the game LOOKS better being on higher settings! Then I had the brilliant idea to reduce my settings to the lowest, thinking I'd get phenominal performance! Nope. Still performed the same, just looked like butt.

Setup:
Phenom II X4 970BE (Standard at 3.5Ghz - I unoverclocked it to help diagnose this...)
Asus GTX 670 DCII
750W OCZ ZT PSU
8GB Crucial 1333 DDR3 Ram
Asus M5A99X Evo Motherboard
Hitachi 1TB HDD 7200RPM

What I've tried:
1) Removing and re-installing the card, hoping a connection wasn't as tight.

2) I've tried using both the 301.42 and 301.34 drivers. With each install, I completely removed the previous version through the Add/Remove program, as well as running Driver Sweeper to ensure everything get's cleaned. Both drivers performed poorly.

3) I bought 3DMark II and used it to run benchmark tests under the use of both drivers. Each test was abysmal.
First test: http://3dmark.com/3dm11/3553552 (Score: 2339)
Second test: http://3dmark.com/3dm11/3554682 (Score: 2403)

4) I ran HWMonitor capture for temps while doing a test benchmark. I ran the 'Combined Test' at 1080p on all the Extreme settings for this test and didn't see any signs of overheating - http://i.imgur.com/qAsJU.png

So, what else could I try? I've seen people with similar setups get fantastic scores in 3DMark 11 and I'm sad that I hawked Newegg for a week, refreshing the page every hour, to ensure I could be one of the first to get my card at a reasonable price... but, damn, this is a horrid experience. Could there be a BIOS setting or something else I should try to change?

Thanks in advance.

More about : asus gtx 670 performing horribly check

a b Î Nvidia
June 1, 2012 1:33:57 AM

Uninstall all drivers, reboot. Then try another PCI-E slot. Re-install latest drivers, reboot and see if it have problems.
m
l
June 1, 2012 1:34:25 AM

I'm betting that you're stuck in 2D/video clocks somehow, have you tried running Afterburner or GPUZ to see if your cards are clocking up? This happened to me with an Nvidia card back in the day, under Forceware 19x.xx or something like that.
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
June 1, 2012 1:50:45 AM

A PCI-E express 3 graphic cards will not degrade in performance when put in a PCI-E 2 slot. Some of the high-end cards doesn't max out a PCI-E 2 slot and has minimal impact on frames per second.
m
l
June 1, 2012 1:54:00 AM

cuecuemore said:
I'm betting that you're stuck in 2D/video clocks somehow, have you tried running Afterburner or GPUZ to see if your cards are clocking up?

http://imgur.com/a/Rp3tP

Looks to be clocking high enough. It's not the 1137Mhz on the box, but it's pretty high I think.

Edit: Going to do the first guys suggestion now about uninstalling the drivers and crap. Do you guys really think I need to uninstall Windows? T_T That's always a pain in the ass.
m
l
June 1, 2012 1:55:29 AM

Seems you already did all the drivers and such... That included the motherboard drivers?

Its a possibility it could be the bios version as well, Perhaps even setting everything to default with the newest version available?

Someone posted this:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149615832

There's a fix for the driver config (sounds like a workaround). Seems like this game has issues with some nvidia cards...Weird?!

Anyways. Good luck. May need to wait for patches(from blizzard) and updates(from nvidia) if that fails.

Purposely waiting till all the bugs are worked out.
m
l
June 1, 2012 2:12:55 AM

Nao, hey there... writing to you in some horrible resolution as I'm between driver installs. :p  I was thinking I would try to flash the BIOS but I didn't know what I was doing. I went to the ASUS website and downloaded the latest BIOS (M5A99X EVO BIOS 1208) but when I went into the UEFI and tried to upload the BIOS .ROM but it said it wasn't compatible because it wasn't an EPU Bios (I think it was EPU, anyways)... any suggestions?

When I get the new driver reinstalled I'll try running D3 with OA set to 'quality'... I wonder if that'll fix my benching problems in 3DMark.

Thanks for the replies so far... keep dropping your ideas in the suggestion box and I'll get to them and reply with the results. Thanks!
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
June 1, 2012 2:17:34 AM

First of all we can't determine any fault of the hardware unless you try different games, your score in 3D Mark sounds reasonable and could be much affected by CPU performance, run a couple of GPU intensive DX11 games and see how it goes, for eg BF3 or Crysis 2 @ ultra 1080p.
m
l
June 1, 2012 2:40:39 AM

fantastik250 said:
Uninstall all drivers, reboot. Then try another PCI-E slot. Re-install latest drivers, reboot and see if it have problems.

I uninstalled the drivers. Rebooted. Moved the card from the blue PCI-E slot to the white PCI-E slot, then reinstalled the 301.42 drivers. (I can't try the black slot because my PSU is adjacent to it.)

Diablo 3 still played like crap on the highest settings. 20-30FPS in New Tristram.

Setting Ambient Occlusion from Off (Default) to 'Quality' had no effect on the game for me. Thanks for the link, though.

Quote:
run a couple of GPU intensive DX11 games and see how it goes, for eg BF3 or Crysis 2 @ ultra 1080p.

I'll download BF3 tomorrow and give it a try. That's the reason I went overkill and bought the GTX 670 was for BF3 in the first place. -__- If D3 can't run it well is it possible BF3 could play well?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
June 1, 2012 2:45:06 AM

There could be a problem with the game itself, Diablo 3 is maxed out with HD 6670.
m
l
June 1, 2012 2:51:43 AM

Do not use the 3XX.XX drivers, something is severely wrong with them! use 296.10
I am able to play all my games at max settings at 720p with the 296.10 drivers, but as soon as I got the 3XX.XX drivers, I have been having unbelievable problems with my graphics card. My frame rate drops below 20FPS even on the lowest possible settings and resolutions (Same for Diablo 3). I then did a Driver rollback and it fixed all my problems and I can now play my games again.

The 3XX.XX drivers are broken!
m
l
June 1, 2012 3:01:56 AM

I had an issue where my cards clock rates were staying at their 2D speeds. It was basically quartering my performance. If it happens i usually just reset the clear the CMOS and everything is fine again.

Hope this helps
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
June 1, 2012 3:04:31 AM

Update drivers?

ah under clocking is overclocking? since when?
m
l
June 1, 2012 1:46:10 PM

eturnal said:
Its a possibility it could be the bios version as well, Perhaps even setting everything to default with the newest version available? .

I was thinking along these lines..... I might try 1) restoring your CPU to a non-overclocked setting. In other words the stock BIOS. 2) Do the same thing to the card. Return it to reference speeds.

Do one at a time. If 1 fixes it then your card and drivers are fine. If 2 fixes it then RMA the card or wait for new drivers.

By the way, have you monitored your CPU and GPU temps when starting the game? What are they? (page 3 of the link discusses temp effects)

When I get strange video game behavior I always think back to this article:
http://www.geforce.com/Optimize/Guides/stable-gaming/#1
m
l
June 1, 2012 11:05:45 PM

I was just having this same problem with the same card (the TOP version, though), and I also have an Asus motherboard (Sabertooth Z77). I tried wiping and reinstalling drivers numerous times, along with several other things, none of which worked. I finally figured it out, though. I don't know how similar your BIOS is to mine, but hopefully you can find the same option in yours:

Go into your BIOS (advanced mode). Go to the Advanced tab. Click on NB PCIe Configuration. Click the drop down option for whichever slot you have the card installed (probably the first one). Take it off of auto and put it on "Gen3". Save changes and restart the PC. That's it.

Hope it works for you.
m
l
June 2, 2012 10:26:01 AM

ilysaml said:
First of all we can't determine any fault of the hardware unless you try different games, your score in 3D Mark sounds reasonable and could be much affected by CPU performance, run a couple of GPU intensive DX11 games and see how it goes, for eg BF3 or Crysis 2 @ ultra 1080p.

I played Battlefield3 last night. My FPS was running around 30-40FPS on Ultra (with very little motion blur) unless I was able to get a huge view of the field, like when you jump off that one base at the top of the cliff... and this was only in a 32 player game. During those periods my FPS would drop to the 20s, at worst the high teens.

Not quite what I was expecting...

It was playable, though... just had a lot of slowdowns. I get that my hardware isn't the same as Toms' test rigs but is this more likely related to the driver that is causing me other problems... or is it hardware related?

T_T
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
June 2, 2012 11:12:33 AM

When you play multiplayer it depends more on the CPU, and in this case the CPU will surely bottleneck you. There are several requests here asking for an article showing CPU scaling in multiplayer games with huge maps.

Try the game offline, and trying reverting back to another driver. And i would highly suggest trying the card on another high end machine.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
June 2, 2012 12:10:52 PM

Seems like your video part of windows is messed up. Pretty much the easiest solution is to reinstall them - they will fix any software issue you have. Furthermore, if the issue persists - it must be your hardware. Something is really wrong - with 9800 GT in SLI you should be able to max out Diablo 3.

Test your memory with memtest (www.memtest.org).

OH and I just noticed - IT MIGHT be your power supply - it's very likely to be. Your 12V voltage is at 11.73V. That's way below of what it should be. You don't happen to have another one to test?

Note: underpowering your components may very easily make them fail.
m
l
June 2, 2012 11:27:31 PM

Uh, is my last post invisible or something?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
June 3, 2012 10:00:07 AM

king_nothing_ said:
Uh, is my last post invisible or something?

Seems like OP has left this thread.
m
l
June 4, 2012 5:40:31 PM

Hey guys. Thanks for all the suggestions!

With your help I was finally able to get my video card working. To get the card working I decided to take the advice of some and just do a full format of my hard drive and re-install Windows 7 64-bit. After installation I flashed the BIOS from the standard 0704 to 1208 (I think), which actually improved my boot times a bit. From there, I accessed my NAS and pulled all the drivers for my motherboard, as well as the 301.42 driver for the video card. I installed all the drivers.

Then I downloaded Chrome because it's good.

When I was finished installing Chrome, I did a 3DMark 11 test on the Combination test. Before I was getting like .7FPS, but this time I was getting significantly higher FPS readings... like around 12-13 FPS. My 3DMark score was around 3500, with my physics score being 4500ish and my graphics being at 3000. I still thought my 3DMark scores should've been higher but who knows. My WEI for graphics went to 7.8, as well.

For my Nvidia settings, I kept everything standard except I changed the power management (to prefer performance) and I also turned on Triple Buffering based on a suggestion. Diablo 3 is now running on full settings and the thing is boosting itself to 1250Mhz without me tweaking anything. The card is, at full load, hitting 70C with 50% fan.

Some other things: The middle PCI-E slot on the motherboard doesn't run at x16, only x8. I found this out in GPU-Z when I was seeing if there was something wrong with my first PCI-E x16 slot.

Also, my 750W PSU was doing the same output as the 650W PSU by the same brand and model. I contacted Asus to see if the 11.73 was within the operational threshold of the video card. I'm guessing it is since the card plays fine now, but I'll wait to see what they say.

@King - Before I flashed my BIOS I didn't have any options in the BIOS to try your suggestion (about setting the PCIE to 3.0 speeds). I'm not sure if that's because I was using an old BIOS or if it's because my motherboard only has 2.0 PCI-E Slots. After I did the reinstall and BIOS flash things started working, so I didn't even think to jump in and check it out.

Anyways, just an update. Thanks again for everyones help... your contributions helped me find a solution. :]
m
l
June 4, 2012 6:06:42 PM

Thanks for the findings as well, Eturnal.

I got a GTX670 just a while ago as well, but (luckily) I haven't seen any issues on my side. I'm on an AMD setup with a Crosshair V 990FX MoBo and with the latest BIOS.

I didn't reformat when installing it and moved from an AMD HD4890 and I've been asking myself if the card could be under-performing in some area or something. It ain't.

Cheers!
m
l
June 4, 2012 6:14:06 PM

Diablo performance is a bad game to judge on my 560ti SLi rig it still has its jitters

Bottom line is, get a new PSU

OCZ make some shitty supplies and if the card and hardware is being under fed or under regulated then you can quickly damage your components, id go out and get a solid 6-650 made by a reputable manufacturer such as antec, corsair, seasonic, or xfx...

do you have a spare or friends psu that you could try out?

the gtx6XX cards are supposed to be pretty darn good in terms of power efficiency so it may just be that you power supply has crapped out or it has consistently been under delivering its promised specs this whole time and not become a problem until now..

shoot the 4890 is a power hog too but it may have degraded over time....

based on what your sayign and what has been said in this thread, id test for or get a new reliable psu

for example something like these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

of course there are many other options out there but these quality models were easily accessible on newegg US

thats my 2 cents I hope you can get to the bottom of this soon and enjoy your new gpu

PS. got a level 52 barb myself ;) 

edit: whoops well looks like you fixed it sorry dude, glad to here it, but honestly if your system starts to crap out its likely your psu imo, since you now clearly understand how to do a clean install of the drivers
m
l