Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Radeon HD 5970 Replacement Fan

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 1, 2012 1:24:39 AM

I got a Sapphire HD 5970 back around when it came out. After almost a year the fan started making a rattle/whine.
Cleaned it out real well, the problem was still there, so I put it aside for almost 2 years, putting back in my old 4870x2.
I've tried google but I can't seem to find where to get a replacement fan. (not an aftermarket cooler)
Sapphire RMA wants me to pay WAY too much to get this common sapphire 5970 problem fixed, so I would rather drop a few dollars on a fan and start using the card again.
Please help, this is the card:

a c 99 U Graphics card
June 1, 2012 1:31:53 AM

Umm, you don't have warranty on it? The manufacturer should replace it you have problems with it. It doesn't make sense for the manufacturer to make you pay for it unless it is out of warranty.
Score
June 1, 2012 1:42:57 AM

I filled out everything, gave them proof of purchase, it is in manf. warranty.
I got my rma number and was told I would have to pay for shipping there and back, and a refurb fee(they weren't even going to send me a fixed or new one).
I have a newegg warranty but that doesn't take effect anytime soon.
Score
Related resources
a c 99 U Graphics card
June 1, 2012 1:48:00 AM

What do you mean by doesn't take effect anytime soon? Any newegg purchases have an amount of time before it expires. You should try to RMA through newegg and see what they can do for you instead of going through Sapphire.
Score
a c 143 U Graphics card
June 1, 2012 2:15:01 AM

What's wrong with an Aftermarket Cooler?
Score
a c 99 U Graphics card
June 1, 2012 2:21:45 AM

In cases where you have a reference card, you may void warranty with modifying the card.
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
June 1, 2012 2:22:30 AM

You can measure the fan and look on ebay. You can most likley get a 60mm (or whatever size it is) PWM fan for around 5-10 bucks. Just make sure the style is the same. Then its only 3 screws to replace.

Toms did an article on how to stay cool, they took the shrowd off the cooler and placed 2 120mm standard fans on a GTX480? or 580? Anyway it was cooler and quiter than stock.
June 1, 2012 2:23:21 AM

fantastik250 said:
What do you mean by doesn't take effect anytime soon? Any newegg purchases have an amount of time before it expires. You should try to RMA through newegg and see what they can do for you instead of going through Sapphire.

When I ordered from Newegg I also got a Service Net warranty that does not take effect until the manufacturer warranty expires, which is in October.
I tried RMA through Newegg when Sapphire tried to milk me, and they told me they won't to do anything while Sapphire's warranty was valid.

ilysaml said:
What's wrong with an Aftermarket Cooler?

They cost more than the $10 (if even) and 2 minutes of work to fix the stock fan.
Score
a c 143 U Graphics card
June 1, 2012 2:25:26 AM

You stated that Sapphire wanted you to pay too much, how much?
Score
June 1, 2012 2:26:45 AM

bucknutty said:
You can measure the fan and look on ebay. You can most likley get a 60mm (or whatever size it is) PWM fan for around 5-10 bucks. Just make sure the style is the same. Then its only 3 screws to replace.

Toms did an article on how to stay cool, they took the shrowd off the cooler and placed 2 120mm standard fans on a GTX480? or 580? Anyway it was cooler and quiter than stock.

Thanks, I didn't even think to look at ebay. Took me 5 seconds to find the same fan it already has.
Score
June 1, 2012 2:26:56 AM

Best answer selected by The Judge Fudge.
n
n
ilysaml said:
You stated that Sapphire wanted you to pay too much, how much?

n$65 for shipping, I asked twice for the approx. processing fee they mentioned but I don't think think they have a form letter to answer that, so they kept responding with an RMA form that I already filled out.
n
Score
a c 272 U Graphics card
June 1, 2012 8:51:17 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!