Remove drives from SendTo menu ?

Hi all !

I can't find a way to remove the removable drives (floppy, CD-ROM,
and in my case hard drives too) from the SendTo menu. As you might
know, WinXP automagically adds all removable drives to the SendTo
menu, and does this dynamically.

I tried everything :
There are NO entries in \Document And Settings\<User>\SendTo
There are NO entries in \Document And Settings\Default User\SendTo
There are NO entries in \Document And Settings\All Users\SendTo

I found postings about adding a DWORD registry entry named
NoDrivesInSendToMenu with a value of "1" under
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer.
This does NOT work (and the "Explorer" key is not present in
"Policies". Creating it does not help.)
I tried to add the same DWORD under
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer,
and it does not work either.

Does anybody know if there is a way to get rid of those removable
drives ???

Thanks a lot for helping me !

Arnaud

How many times you going to post this? What does it matter, ignore it if it bothers you. That value you mentioned was mentioned by one MS employee. That value is not in Shell32 so is unlikely to be valid on XP. It's not listed as a valid value on 2003 lists. MS employees often use newer OSs than is released. Maybe it's slated for the next update of Win 2003 which is in beta testing at the moment..

David Candy wrote:
> How many times you going to post this?

I posted (once !) in "help_and_support" yesterday, but I think it
fits better in "customize". Sorry for not cross-posting my first
post, that was a mistake.

> What does it matter, ignore it if it bothers you.

It bothers me.
I could ignore it only if it did not bother me.

> That value you mentioned was mentioned by one MS employee. That value is not in Shell32 so is unlikely to be valid on XP. It's not listed as a valid value on 2003 lists. MS employees often use newer OSs than is released. Maybe it's slated for the next update of Win 2003 which is in beta testing at the moment..

Thanks for the answer ! Why did you have to be rude to explain
this ? You know a good answer to a good question, just give it,
that's all.

Thanks again, anyway.

Arnaud

In news:1113481299.c7fc6c066a70a16eea80d1dbb5b7b820@teranews,
Arnaud Lesauvage <thewild_nospam@free_nospam.fr> typed:

> I posted (once !) in "help_and_support" yesterday, but I think
> it
> fits better in "customize".

Just FYI in the future, thinking of the "help_and_support"
newsgroup as a place to get general help and support is a
mistake, and a common one. The subject of that newsgroup is the
Windows XP help and support *feature*.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Hi Arnaud,

Have a look at the "NoDrives" Policy setting. "Hide these specified drives
in My Computer"
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/gp/239.asp

Note that the drive letter is removed from My Computer / Explorer AND the
Send To menu as well. However, access to the drive-letter through other
means is not restricted.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User