Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Computer
  • Graphics
  • Displays
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 1, 2012 2:49:07 AM

Hello,

I just received a computer I purchased online today, set up the speakers and monitor with it and started downloading things. When I moved the tower around to a better spot, when I set it down I got the desktop screen go a little pixelated and the message "Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered"

Also, after playing a computer game (in which I had no issues playing) as I was idle on the desktop, not touching the tower I had this happen a few times, in a 5 minute period.

I won't pretend to know much about computers, because i do not.

Card is AMD Radeon 6950
Processor is an i5

More about : display driver stopped responding recovered

June 1, 2012 2:59:13 AM

This is a common issue with both AMD and nVidia cards, more related to a windows bug. Install the latest WinInstaller, C++, .NetFrameWork and install the CCC from AMD website, assuming you're running Win7 64 bit here's the link
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/previous/...
m
l
June 1, 2012 3:04:54 AM

I am also getting a No signal found on the monitor sometimes when I have started up the computer on a reset. Sometimes I don't, would this also be part of this same issue?
m
l
Related resources
June 1, 2012 3:08:48 AM

No signal or a delay on signal?
m
l
June 1, 2012 12:05:41 PM

After a reset, occasionally as I was trying to deal with this graphic card issue:

It would in the top right corner go through all 3 inputs: HDMI, VGA, and DVi. (All 3 are plugged in correctly to the computer/moniter to my knowledge)

After that, it would give me a No signal response, and turn he monitor to sleep mode.

Sometimes I would get to the log on screen fine.

Someone mentioned to me that the graphic card may have gotten loose during transit causing some of these issues, if thats a possibility.

As I said I just got it from a UPS delivery yesterday. If it will help to give all the specs of the comp they are:

Tower - NZXT Tempest 210 Mid-Tower Gaming Case
Processor - Intel® Core™ i5-2400 3.10 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA1155
HD - 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
Mem - 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory
MB - [CrossFireX] Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H Intel Z77 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ IRST, Lucid Virtu MVP, Ultra Durable4 Classic, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 2x Gen3 PCIe x16, 3x PCIe x1 & 2 PCI
OS - Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Power - 700 Watts - Standard Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready
Graphics - AMD Radeon HD 6950 2GB 16X PCIe Video Card

And as I said I played a game on it for 3 hours with not an issue, yet sometimes idle on desktop it just fails and recovers. And when I first turned it on while screen was on desktop I moved the computer around and it also casued the same issue whenever i moved it a little harshly.

I am trying to get this solved before 30 days are up or I am returning this via the policy I bought it under.

Edit: I never updated drivers as I assumed they came updated.
m
l
June 1, 2012 1:41:07 PM

You just connect one cable to the monitor, DVI or HDMI.
Enable Windows Updates and download and install all the recommended ones.
Double click on the Catalyst Control Center and check it's version, if it's 11.xx update it to 12.3 sometimes they just install the driver from the CD came with the card.

I'm not sure about the no signal issue, but make sure that you disable the internal graphics through the BIOS, make sure that the Card is plugged into the first PCIE slot and again connect only one cable, HDMI if you have full HD 1080P monitor.
m
l
June 1, 2012 2:17:35 PM

How do I know the card is plugged into the first PCIE slot? I didn't built it, I ordered it pre built. And I don't know what is what on the inside.

Also I do not think the monitor is HD, so I will just stay with the DVi, and I assume I still connect the VGA cable.

I will try all these updates later this afternoon. I hope it works, I hate maintence, especially on cars in which there is an issue but no one can find it.

And how do I do that change with the BIOS?
m
l
June 1, 2012 3:13:34 PM

You don't even know if your monitor is HD? I would suggest you not work on the computer at all and find someone who can or return it if your having problems with it.

It may void your warranty to do a bios update or even open the case.
m
l
June 1, 2012 3:24:16 PM

It isn't HD, but it has an hdmi cable inport (maybe I am confused thinking hdmi cable doesn't mean HD)

But I know the monitor I bought was 23" LED widescreen 1980x1080 from acer. Had no HD in the name.
m
l
June 1, 2012 3:30:34 PM

1920 x 1080 is the full HD resolution, and as long as the monitor has HDMI input so it supports HD movies and gaming.

Also, taking the suggestion above, return the PC to any maintenance shop nearby to check it so that you can't mess up with anything.
m
l
June 1, 2012 3:32:51 PM

When people say HD, they usually mean 1080 resolution which is what your monitor is. Don't worry, you'll be fine using a DVI cable or an HDMI cable. I'm not sure I'm following you, but you don't need more than 1 cable to connect to your monitor. I would check that the card is seated into the MB like someone else has mentioned. If the problem is still occuring after a physical check and updated drivers, I would just return it otherwise you're just doing more and more troubleshooting and it seems like your knowledge is limited in this area so I wouldn't even bother going pass that stage. Hope it all works out.
m
l
!