Sign in with
Your question

HTPC: Which CPU (i3-3217U or i3-3220T)

Last response: in CPUs
December 5, 2012 2:36:59 PM

Title mostly states it. But to clarify a bit on useage and other related items.

First, intended usage is as follows:
- Watch movies from HD (avi format mostly)
- Watch netflix
- Semi-fileserver
- Occasionally backup my movies to HD
- Maybe web browsing

Both will read the movies from an external HD. Both will be using an external DVD/blue ray disk.

Both will be driving a 1080p tv or monitor.

The i3-3220T would use an Intel MB part number DQ77KB and a 180GB Intel 520 SSD.

The i3-3217U is through an Intel Next Unit Computing. Internal HD is up in the air at this time

From specs, I have the following:
3220T - 35W @ 2.8Ghz using Intel HD2500
3217U - 17W @ 1.8Ghz using Intel HD4000

My searching so far has said that both the HD2500 and HD4000 will do fine for 1080p graphics playback. Is this not the case?

Just on the speed, the 3220T should be good for doing backups(ripping) but would it really see ~33% better speed than the 3217U?

More about : htpc cpu 3217u 3220t

a c 188 à CPUs
a b å Intel
December 5, 2012 3:28:55 PM

Here is some information on the both the Intel® HD 2500 and Intel HD 4000 graphics. http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/quick-referenc...

Since the work that you are going to be doing isnt very processor intensive I think you think you can go with the Intel Core i3-3217u and the NUC without any problems. Here is some information on connecting SSDs to this unit. http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS...
m
l
December 5, 2012 4:12:02 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:
Here is some information on the both the Intel® HD 2500 and Intel HD 4000 graphics. http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/quick-referenc...

Since the work that you are going to be doing isnt very processor intensive I think you think you can go with the Intel Core i3-3217u and the NUC without any problems. Here is some information on connecting SSDs to this unit. http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS...

Christian,
Thanks for the reply. Always nice to get a fellow Intel guy replying :hello: 

The link you provided did more of a comparison to Sandybridge and not the HD2500 vs HD4000 :( 

The only "concern" I had with the NUC processor is the lower speed and how it might impact doing the dvd backups. My current Sandybridge laptop is taking a beating when doing a dvd backup.

In your opinion, for displaying movie type content, would there be no difference between the HD2500 and HD4000?
m
l
Related resources
a c 188 à CPUs
a b å Intel
December 5, 2012 4:24:28 PM

For displaying movie type content I don't think you will see much of a difference between them.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 5, 2012 5:20:51 PM

If you are backing up your DVD's without any transcoding, the the CPU is not the speed limiting factor... it's the optical drive. My anemic E350 Zacate HTPC rips discs just as fast as my i7-2700K desktop.

I suspect your laptop is doing some kind of encoding if it is taking too long. If that's the case, you will be disappointed with both proposed CPU's if you plan to use the same method for backup. I suggest you look closely at your backup method.
m
l
December 5, 2012 5:59:41 PM

rwpritchett said:
If you are backing up your DVD's without any transcoding, the the CPU is not the speed limiting factor... it's the optical drive. My anemic E350 Zacate HTPC rips discs just as fast as my i7-2700K desktop.

I suspect your laptop is doing some kind of encoding if it is taking too long. If that's the case, you will be disappointed with both proposed CPU's if you plan to use the same method for backup. I suggest you look closely at your backup method.

You are correct, I do have some transcoding going on. It fortunately isn't a frequent/bulk process.
m
l
a c 471 à CPUs
a c 115 å Intel
December 5, 2012 9:13:40 PM

Transcoding video is very CPU intensive. You want to buy the fastest CPU possible given the limitations you want to work with.

Both the Intel HD 2500 and 4000 do offer Quick Sync which dramatically decreases the amount of time to transcode. However, that's assuming the current available video encoding programs that are compatible with Quick Sync meets your expectations. My two preferred video encoding programs are VirtualDub and Handbrake (both freeware); neither of them supports Quick Sync. Then again, I cannot find a retail video encoding program that are as flexible as those two programs. Especially VirtualDub.
m
l
!