Solved

Got my finger on the trigger... err... LMB

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
July 24, 2012 3:41:16 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: it's all in the shopping cart, waiting to push the button

Budget Range: $2000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, surfing, design, and general BS

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: All?

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Parts Preferences: none

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe, in the future

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I want this rig to be around a while, I play a wide mix of games (from old DOS to new hotness), I can't recommend marijuana enough as a general cure-all, and pecan pie is my fav.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I destroyed my old computer

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($289.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH Z77 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ATX Full Tower Case ($147.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($133.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1709.87
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-07-24 13:33 EDT-0400)

Edited to reflect changes.

More about : finger trigger err lmb

July 24, 2012 3:57:21 PM

dont do it. i am changing the parts as i speak
m
l
Related resources
July 24, 2012 4:20:15 PM

Drop to the i5 as TBT states. I would go even further and say get a 7950 instead of the 670. I was looking at the 670 as well, but with the price drops recently, I don't feel it's a $100 difference between the cards. I recently got the MSI Twin FROZR 7950. It's got 6+8 pin connectors. I haven't tried it, yet, but should be a dream to OC. Use the difference to upgrade to a 256GB SSD.
m
l
July 24, 2012 4:41:28 PM

TheBigTroll said:
this is more suitable

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cUas

Thanks for the quick reply! Ok, gonna go over your suggestions:

i5-3570k vs i7-2600k: I've seen a lot of debate about this, the lower-end ivy vs the higher-end sandy. From what I've read, the i7 can be overclocked to 5.0 GHZ easily, with less heat and noise. There were other reasons why I went with the i7 in my initial choice, but I've forgotten them.

Cooler Swap: I've seen a lot of good reviews on the H100, that's why I put it on their for my first choice.

Mobo Swap: Honestly, (this may sound retarded) I chose the Sabertooth because I liked the way it looked vs the other Z77 boards. That, and having the wider-spaced PCIe slots for convenient SLI, which I will prolly do in the future.

RAM Swap: The Corsair kit has a CAS of 8 and good timing, as well as very good reviews. Also, they looked pimp with the Sabertooth, all black and armored looking. How important is CAS and timing?

HD Swap: The WD got very good reviews, and I owned one myself a bit ago. Are Seagates worse, in any way, to my choice?

GPU Swap: What makes the Asus worth more than the EVGA (which I also picked to match the Sabertooth)?

Case Swap: I'm not really digging that mid tower. I picked the HAF full tower for the space inside (which I have some experiments in mind for), the assured compatibility with the water cooling, and because she's pretty.

PSU Swap: If you're sure I won't need the 850w, then I'm down for the swap. It looks good and is modular as well.
m
l
July 24, 2012 4:47:47 PM

SinisterSalad said:
Drop to the i5 as TBT states. I would go even further and say get a 7950 instead of the 670. I was looking at the 670 as well, but with the price drops recently, I don't feel it's a $100 difference between the cards. I recently got the MSI Twin FROZR 7950. It's got 6+8 pin connectors. I haven't tried it, yet, but should be a dream to OC. Use the difference to upgrade to a 256GB SSD.

It's going to take some serious discussion to get me to budge on GPU chipset. I had an AMD chipset with my last comp, and had some unsatisfactory experiences with it. Also, I am willing to spend the extra cash for the performance.
m
l
July 24, 2012 4:50:46 PM

Your original build is way too expensive for what you're getting.
m
l

Best solution

July 24, 2012 5:01:12 PM

You wont reach 5.0GHZ on any chip without a custom water cooler.

i5 is best for gaming, but if your doing other stuff as well i7 does not hinder performance that anyone can notice. You will get more of an overclock with the i5 though since it runs cooler.

Unless you spend $200-$400 on water cooling...just dont...My Hyper 212+ costs $75 less and does the same job as any wanna be water cooler. Plus when the Hxxx breaks/leaks my computer will be dry/undamaged. The stock fans on the Hxxx are complete crap, and you will need to replace them asap. That right there adds another $20-$50 dollars to the price tag. The Noctua DH-14 and they Hyper 212 are both great coolers, the only difference is about 1c-2c and $50.

The Sabertooth is a greath high end board. If your spending this much money, I would definately get the Sabertooth z77.

CAS timing does not matter. Lower timings often cause instability with your overclocks. Since you dont have support for quad channel ram, go for 2 x 8gb corsair vengance 9-9-9-1600.

WD is the best quality hdd. Their warrenty tends to be longer also. good choice going with both a ssd and hdd.

EVGA is one of the best with consistant quality, I say go for it you will be happy.

Case doesnt really matter if you have good air flow. Any case that has a fan on the front, side, back, top should in theory be more than enough for your purposes.

850w is nice, but really no point in it. A smaller, cheaper, modular, nicer looking PSU would be the way to go. I could be wrong but I think the 600w PSU can handle SLI. 750w will be a good fit.

I would also go ahead and plan to pick up some cable extentions for your ATX 24 pin and 8 pin motherboard connectors, especially if you go with a full size case.
July 24, 2012 5:03:37 PM

FinneousPJ said:

Not a very useful comment for me. Value is relative to people, and people differ. I'm looking for more specific suggestions.

BTW, thanks to everyone for responding. I want to push the botton today so I can get back to gaming. Please don't take my replies as being self-absorbed or anything like that, just trying to keep the discussion as clinical as possible. That's a lot of money that I'm throwing down, and I want to make sure that I spend it well.
m
l
July 24, 2012 5:06:50 PM

FinneousPJ said:

Dont listen to this guy...

You are getting some expensive parts, but I dont see any waste of money here other than the original PSU. You could save money by going with different parts, such as getting an Asrock z77 extreme4 instead of the Sabertooth. Both do virtually the same thing for your purposes, and theres $100 difference. You could cut the full tower and go with a mid tower easily saving you more money. If I had the money to spend I would have gone with the sabertooth and a full tower myself, its a badass board from what I keep hearing, and you should be very happy with it.
m
l
July 24, 2012 5:20:24 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
You wont reach 5.0GHZ on any chip without a custom water cooler.

i5 is best for gaming, but if your doing other stuff as well i7 does not hinder performance that anyone can notice. You will get more of an overclock with the i5 though since it runs cooler.

Unless you spend $200-$400 on water cooling...just dont...My Hyper 212+ costs $75 less and does the same job as any wanna be water cooler. Plus when the Hxxx breaks/leaks my computer will be dry/undamaged. The stock fans on the Hxxx are complete crap, and you will need to replace them asap. That right there adds another $20-$50 dollars to the price tag. The Noctua DH-14 and they Hyper 212 are both great coolers, the only difference is about 1c-2c and $50.

The Sabertooth is a greath high end board. If your spending this much money, I would definately get the Sabertooth z77.

CAS timing does not matter. Lower timings often cause instability with your overclocks. Since you dont have support for quad channel ram, go for 2 x 8gb corsair vengance 9-9-9-1600.

WD is the best quality hdd. Their warrenty tends to be longer also. good choice going with both a ssd and hdd.

EVGA is one of the best with consistant quality, I say go for it you will be happy.

Case doesnt really matter if you have good air flow. Any case that has a fan on the front, side, back, top should in theory be more than enough for your purposes.

850w is nice, but really no point in it. A smaller, cheaper, modular, nicer looking PSU would be the way to go. I could be wrong but I think the 600w PSU can handle SLI. 750w will be a good fit.

I would also go ahead and plan to pick up some cable extentions for your ATX 24 pin and 8 pin motherboard connectors, especially if you go with a full size case.

Thanks for the info bro. I switched the ram, cooler, and PSU. I'll just wait till later to do some advanced cooling.
m
l
July 24, 2012 5:20:40 PM

I'm not an expert, but I did just order a new rig that is very similar to yours this past weekend. I can tell you what I decided on after plenty of research, anyway:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bN5b

With sales, coupons, and a great Microcenter Mobo + CPU combo deal I was able to get that build I just listed down to $1410. Everything was bought from either Amazon or Newegg depending on price besides for the CPU and Mobo, mostly Amazon actually. I was quite happy with that. The major differences I see between ours are the cooling (I didn't especially want to deal with any type of water cooling and have a friend who loves his NH-D14 to death), and the RAM (8GB is plenty of RAM for any game, unless you are running several VM's I do not believe that 16GB is necessary), and of course the case, but I think that a case is more personal preference than anything.

If I were to recommend a $2k build (if you really wanted to spend all your budget), I would probably recommend going along with about what I bought and then adding a second 670 SLI, which will put you right about at about $2k if you are buying Windows. I am potentially buying a second 670 in the near future myself.

Now, as I said, I'm not an expert, just throwing in my 2 cents since I was in your shoes a few days ago! I can also give rec's for keyboard/mouse/monitor (or at least say what I got) if you need 'em.
m
l
July 24, 2012 5:35:43 PM

Best answer selected by maniclurker.
m
l
July 24, 2012 7:30:59 PM

Well, thanks to everyone, especially DarkOutlaw. Order is in!

I'M SO FRIGGIN STOKED IT'S RETARDED!
m
l
July 24, 2012 9:34:36 PM

i would of gotten the xfx xxx 750w instead of the rosewell capstone. it doesnt matter too much though since that unit is made by super flower which is the next best thing to seasonic
m
l
August 13, 2012 3:25:06 AM

TheBigTroll said:
i would of gotten the xfx xxx 750w instead of the rosewell capstone. it doesnt matter too much though since that unit is made by super flower which is the next best thing to seasonic

Your reply was a bit late, bro. But it's all cool. I'm trying to learn more about the different manufacturers; how they compare and all that. Every now and then, I see someone like yourself pop up and suggest one brand of a certain thing instead of a different brand. It gives me the impression that person either a: actually knows something about computers, or b: they are being completely biased for some indeterminate reason. If would definitely like to learn how you gather this information, and why you draw these conclusions.
m
l
Related resources
!