Weird lag from nVidia card..

h3n_drix

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
Let me preface by saying I have a 550 GTX, a i3 2120, 8gb of ram, 500w psu. The system fits my need and can do it for long periods of time without hassle. I have been running MSI's afterburner and checking a TempMon to help figure out this weird issue that sporadically pops up.

I was playing a game and I kept alt-tabbing to chat. Once I alt-tabbed back into the game the rendering was very laggy. I closed the game and double checked that the gpu never got hotter than 70 and was currently lower than that. I opened the game back up and the lag persisted. I opened another game and the lag persisted. I checked task manager and killed the browswer and things that look like they were taking up a lot of ram. The lag persisted. I finally restarted the system and the lag was gone upon the reboot.

This happened again, during an alt-tab. I decided the alt-tabbing was hanging up the video card and I couldn't understand why the video card would unhang, especially after I stopped asking it to render things.

I thought it was the one specific game, then it happened with another. The only commonality was they were both launched from Steam. I decided to make a 'house rule' no alt-tabbing while using Steam. Well just now I launched a game from Steam and it imediately started lagging upon load up. Again temp is fine, proccesses are fine--I shut down AVP, closed all programs.

I'd love to fix the problem but I really don't know where the problem is. The GPU is definitely acting weird but it's not demonstrating weirdness in temp or anything. Fan doesn't even spin up like its being taxed. CPU seems fine, maybe its a power issue?

Before anyone suggests that the 550 is a shitty card, I know the opinions of it but again it works well for what I want it to do and just throwing it out is not an option I am looking to entertain currently. It's brand new. I feel like the issue is something to do with Windows as the problem goes away upon a reboot. Literally the time it takes the system to reboot, the problem is gone.

Any ideas?

h3n_drix

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
Yeah I was just reading about the current nVidia driver and OC cards having issues like this. Someone also suggested as a temp fix to run nVidia's power scheme at high for the time being. Anyone else have these issues?

h3n_drix

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
The easiest way to solve the bug, is flash your card to a reference nvidia bios, i ended up doing this with my EVGA SSC 480's...
The issue is with pre overclocked cards only.

Certain hardware monitoring programs can cause stuttering.

What's the best way to do that?

h3n_drix

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
With the bios flashed on the card, won't that void the MSI warranty? Isn't this essentially making the card a non-OC card? By that I mean the OC from MSI, I am aware I should be able to OC it myself...

h3n_drix

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
If you are worried about warranty... do not do it...
Send the card back and get a refund... get a better card.

You can always flash the card back to the old bios btw...

Thanks for explaining that you can flash back--that was mainly what I wanted to know. In regards to doing an RMA or replacing the card with "a better one"- -- I don't know how this constitutes as advice and I thought I addressed this in the OP.

I am all for sharing opinions of matters but it seems like no one is even reading WHAT the issue is---the 301 drivers are the issue and you provided a work around for the bug, which is greatly appreciated. I simply asked if by doing the change of BIOS does it not make the warranty void? I feel like I would be voiding a warranty for nVidia's faulted drivers sake.

Thanks anyway.

I still think there's a sound conflict somewhere. you have on board sound, sound through HDMI from your video card and you have the program you are using to chat with........ until you look into this the problem won't be resolved.

the only BIOS problems on video cards were 10 years ago when the nvidia 7800's came through with bad ones and not too long ago when the Gigabyte super over clocked 560's were crap......... shipped with baD bios'. tHE CHANCES OF YOURS BEING BAD IS EXTREMEY THIN AND WOULDN'T WASTE MY TIME ON IT..........

h3n_drix

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

This seems like a fair idea since I have an external card, on-board, and then the stupid HDMI audio--I'll look into it!