New PC Build Complete - Anything I'm missing or any recommendations?

Jimzoaar

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
Hi,

So this is my first time posting on a forum, of any sort! I use TH a lot though and its been very useful over the years.

The following build is on a budget, kind of. I want to build the best PC I can for as little money as possible, the total for the following build is £816.94, though components individual prices will be listed. Also, I am in the UK, so the site restrictions are obvious.

You will probably all point out that though the Bulldozer wasn't a failure, it was by no means a success and has been all but beaten by the i5-2500k. I have had a long think about this and will be looking to go down the AMD route long term because of the cost efficiency, also, the Piledriver looks like it could utilize the cores much more, this is on top of Windows 8 optimisation for the existing Bulldozer/Piledriver technology.

One main feature of my PC is to keep it as quiet as possible running at borderline-idle. I would like to leave data transfers and downloads on over night without it disturbing me, as I sleep in the same small room. I realise this is a compromise on cooling efficiency, not so much for the FD R4 as I've read, and will be looking to experiment with overclocking but it s by no means a necessity.

I am very much looking to the future with this build, hence the 8-core (Surely they will be utilised in the near future?) and partcular investment in the quiet and cool-running case. Though I am half expecting/planning to upgrade to Piledriver upon release.

I might note that I already have a Monitor (1920x1080) that will be upgraded but in quite a long time. Also, I have a 1TB Seagate Barracude 7200RPM, I also have a 3TB version of the same type. In addition I already have an optical drive that is sufficient for now.

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 - £94.56

CPU - AMD FX-8150 3.6Ghz (8-Core) - £140.45

Memory - 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1866Mhz - £44.99

Graphics Card - Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 OC Edition - £210.99

SSD - Samsung 830 256GB - £145.00

PSU - Akasa Venom 750W - £64.80

Case - Fractal Design R4 - Black - £89.99

Additional Fans:
Fan #1 Enermax T.B.SILENCE 120mm PWM Twister Fan £8.72
Fan #2 Enermax T.B.SILENCE 120mm PWM Twister Fan £8.72
Fan #3 Enermax T.B.SILENCE 120mm PWM Twister Fan £8.72

I appreciate that this is a long post, so would like to thank you in advance for reading even if you don't have any advice.

If I had to ask questions they would be the following:

- Would it be worth having a fan controller? I am not familiar with fan speed control but am curious if there is a software base alternative.

- What is the future for Bulldozer? Realistically, will Windows 8 & the new Piledriver architecture give me the boost I need or direct upgrade respectively.

- How will this run with overclocking, both CPU and GPU? I am not looking to overclock to the max, but as every man does, I want to get the best out of the equipment I have.

Many thanks for your time again,

James.

Shockattackr

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
To be honest... if you want the added cost.. i would suggest an i5 3570k i love the processor to death, and yes Bulldozer is a flop. and i would pair the i5 with a decent Z77 board with OC capabilities

Jimzoaar

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
Hi, appreciate the response but I am intent on going with AMD, in the long term I won't be reaching Intel's money demands.

Jimzoaar

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
But when the price difference is circa £40, is it really not worth just gettin for the first chip of my new build? When the overall price exceeds £800 I am prepared to make them kind of jumps in performance.