Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Going to order this $3k machine today-should I change anything?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share
July 24, 2012 5:28:00 PM

Hello All!

After not knowing anything about computer parts I have spent weeks trying to learn. Still just a noobie. I think I am finally ready to order my new machine! I want to order it today, but before doing so I wanna double check some things with you guys :) 

Here are my parts, if you see anything I should change or you would recommend etc...I would appreciate it greatly.

One thing I need help with is choosing what RAM I should get with my current setup below.


Processor:
i7-3930k


Cooling:
Corsair H100


Motherboard:
Asus Rampage Extreme IV


RAM:
This is what I am not sure about. If I am getting an Asus Rampage Extreme IV, I know it supports up to 2400, but that would be over 1.5volts. Should I get something like this: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4) 2133mhz which will still be at 1.5 volts?

Graphics:
GTX 690


Storage:

1x 2TB WD Caviar Black HDD

2x Intel 520 120GB SSDs


Power Supply:
Corsair AX1200 80 Gold Plus Certified


Case:
Corsair Obsidian 800D


Any and all help/suggestions are welcome and will be much appreciated! This is going to be my first PC build ever and I am so excited!

Thanks for reading :hello: 


EDIT:

Hi guys, thanks for the replies! I know it is a bit overkill, but that is something I am going for. I have been saving money since I was not much taller than the 800D case itself, and I am ready to invest in this.

I will clear up what I am going to use this for and also edit the main post:

I spend a lot of time on the computer. Whether it be for gaming, or for work.

I have been stuck with a HP craptop that always overheats. For the amount of time I use the computer, it doesn't do the job.

I will be using the computer for high-intensity gaming. I plan to get 3x 27 inch 1920x1080 monitors. Playing games will be awesome like that. I thought about getting monitors over 1080p but I don't think it is worth it when I can get 3 1080p monitors.

I will also be using this computer for work, which in my case means lots of applications open. Don't want any stuttering at all.

Lastly I love video editing. I will be editing HD video with multiple files in tracks and all, so also want top-notch performace.



I hope this clears things up, and sorry about not mentioning this sooner.


Since my mind is kinda-sorta made up, what do you think I should do in terms of RAM?

I was thinking about doing 32GB of RAM (4x8) of Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz.

More about : order machine today change

July 24, 2012 5:30:15 PM

Are you gaming on this machine and considering any overclocking?
m
0
l
July 24, 2012 5:30:46 PM

also get Cosair Vengenace 1600Mhz ram nothing more then 8gb would suffice
m
0
l
Related resources
July 24, 2012 5:32:20 PM

What is this system going to be used for? If it's gaming X79 (not to mention pretty much everything on this system) will be massive amounts of overkill, as will the GTX 690. And as good as the AX1200 is - it's not needed, the new crop of GPUs are so energy efficient that anything over 1KW is massive overkill.
m
0
l
July 24, 2012 5:34:55 PM

^+1 . Basically what i was thinking, your going to through away 3k on a machine you can spend half that amount in something faster

Also the i5 3570k will run MUCH faster when its overclocked to 4.5Ghz (see my Cpu-z Banner )

i run 16 GB ram for shits and giggles, cuz i love running Virtual machines, (for college as Computer Systems technician)
m
0
l
July 24, 2012 5:42:40 PM

Shockattackr said:
^+1 . Basically what i was thinking, your going to through away 3k on a machine you can spend half that amount in something faster

Also the i5 3570k will run MUCH faster when its overclocked to 4.5Ghz (see my Cpu-z Banner )

i run 16 GB ram for shits and giggles, cuz i love running Virtual machines, (for college as Computer Systems technician)


Yeah you could get this - save $1000 and then use that money for something else.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($188.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Switch 810 (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($189.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1997.38
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-07-24 12:24 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
July 24, 2012 5:48:07 PM

Well don't let folks discourage you on video card pick. The 690 GTX is one sweet video card.

Though I was looking to do a 3930K build but opted for the 3770K instead. You can over clock one of these to run just as fast as a 3930K. Since you are already going with a water cooling option for the CPU cooler, you can really have fun overclocking it.
m
0
l
July 24, 2012 5:51:51 PM

+1 g-unit1111's build.

Consider using the money you saved on kickass peripherals like 3 good monitors. Dell's Ultrasharp come to mind.

m
0
l
July 24, 2012 6:02:21 PM

Hi guys, thanks for the replies! I know it is a bit overkill, but that is something I am going for. I have been saving money since I was not much taller than the 800D case itself, and I am ready to invest in this.

I will clear up what I am going to use this for and also edit the main post:

I spend a lot of time on the computer. Whether it be for gaming, or for work.

I have been stuck with a HP craptop that always overheats. For the amount of time I use the computer, it doesn't do the job.

I will be using the computer for high-intensity gaming. I plan to get 3x 27 inch 1920x1080 monitors. Playing games will be awesome like that. I thought about getting monitors over 1080p but I don't think it is worth it when I can get 3 1080p monitors.

I will also be using this computer for work, which in my case means lots of applications open. Don't want any stuttering at all.

Lastly I love video editing. I will be editing HD video with multiple files in tracks and all, so also want top-notch performace.



I hope this clears things up, and sorry about not mentioning this sooner.


Since my mind is kinda-sorta made up, what do you think I should do in terms of RAM?

I was thinking about doing 32GB of RAM (4x8) of Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz.
m
0
l
July 24, 2012 6:02:32 PM

moornix said:
+1 g-unit1111's build.

Consider using the money you saved on kickass peripherals like 3 good monitors. Dell's Ultrasharp come to mind.


Or something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAKASI-CATLEAP-Q270-SE-27-LED...

Quote:
Lastly I love video editing. I will be editing HD video with multiple files in tracks and all, so also want top-notch performace.


OK that makes sense. But there's still a lot on that system that's major overkill. I narrowed down a lot of the choices, check this out:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($569.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 CPU Cooler ($82.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6/GB ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($278.94 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Switch 810 (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($189.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 950W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On DC-8A2SH DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2641.83
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-07-24 14:07 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
July 24, 2012 6:17:29 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Or something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAKASI-CATLEAP-Q270-SE-27-LED...

Quote:
Lastly I love video editing. I will be editing HD video with multiple files in tracks and all, so also want top-notch performace.


OK that makes sense. But there's still a lot on that system that's major overkill. I narrowed down a lot of the choices, check this out:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($569.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 CPU Cooler ($82.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6/GB ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($278.94 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Switch 810 (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($189.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 950W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On DC-8A2SH DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2641.83
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-07-24 14:07 EDT-0400)



Thanks for this, much appreciated :)  I will consider it, but I am going to look for some more replies first.

I saw you chose the G.Skill RAM. Any differences between Corsair Vengeance and the Ripjaws?
m
0
l
July 24, 2012 6:33:23 PM

dont invest in the i7 6core chips yet, there about to come out with a new one for the same price that is based more on sandy bridge to avoid heat issues and comes stock at 3.5ghz turbo 4.0ghz.

go with a sabertooth z77, 3570k, two of those GPU's to SLI them, three monitors, and i believe you will be much happier.

Edit:

Gskill and Corsair are both good. I love Gskill, its cheaper, and I dont have to worry about buying 'low profile' corsair because Gskill doesnt use crazy tall heatsinks.

Edit 2:

Get 2 HDD so you can put them in a raid 1 to help protect your data!
m
0
l
July 24, 2012 6:35:48 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
dont invest in the i7 6core chips yet, there about to come out with a new one for the same price that is based more on sandy bridge to avoid heat issues and comes stock at 3.5ghz turbo 4.0ghz.

go with a sabertooth z77, 3570k, two of those GPU's to SLI them, three monitors, and i believe you will be much happier.

Edit:

Gskill and Corsair are both good. I love Gskill, its cheaper, and I dont have to worry about buying 'low profile' corsair because Gskill doesnt use crazy tall heatsinks.


Are you sure about this? How soon are we talking?
m
0
l
July 24, 2012 6:37:32 PM

if you dont do editing , thn forget i7 for sure.
m
0
l
July 24, 2012 6:37:38 PM

treestompz said:
Are you sure about this? How soon are we talking?


They just put the article up

2012 Q4, and even if it isnt this soon, it will be worth the wait. The 6 core chip is insane beautifullness, and this new one is going to be hotter than two of megan fox in your bedroom.

Edit:

Trust me, get the i5 now, experiment with overclocking and such, then next year pop for the new i7 + mobo. I would recommend the Asrock z77 instead of the sabertooth if you do this though, since you will be upgrading so soon there is no reason to buy something nice like the sabertooth.
m
0
l
July 24, 2012 6:46:36 PM

treestompz said:
Thanks for this, much appreciated :)  I will consider it, but I am going to look for some more replies first.

I saw you chose the G.Skill RAM. Any differences between Corsair Vengeance and the Ripjaws?


Mainly just the heat sinks - which you will need to watch should you go with a D14.

Quote:
Trust me, get the i5 now, experiment with overclocking and such, then next year pop for the new i7 + mobo. I would recommend the Asrock z77 instead of the sabertooth if you do this though, since you will be upgrading so soon there is no reason to buy something nice like the sabertooth.


The 3970X is a slightly faster version of the 3960X, but it's kind of pointless to buy the same part twice. And I would certainly think twice before spending $1000+ on a CPU when one that's half as much can be clocked to the same speeds or even more.
m
0
l
July 24, 2012 6:52:21 PM

g-unit1111 said:
The 3970X is a slightly faster version of the 3960X, but it's kind of pointless to buy the same part twice. And I would certainly think twice before spending $1000+ on a CPU when one that's half as much can be clocked to the same speeds or even more.


Normally I would say your right, but this new chip brings better heat management to the table which, given the fact it has 2 more cores + hyper threading, will mean significantly lower temperatures, which means higher overclocks. When I buy one of the 6 core chips (and trust me that day will come) one of the first things I will probably do is disable hyperthreading to lower temps and improve game performance.

Plus you gotta think, Ivy bridge is like vista. It is a 'beta' version of a new technology intel developed. The easiest way to test and perfect is to have thousands of people use it. Ivy Bridge only provides a 3% performance increase over Sandy Bridge, which is kinda pointless. Intel's next series will be like windows 7. It will provide a significant performance increase over the Sandy and Ivy Bridge chips, probably deal with the increased heat problem the Ivy Bridge now has, and it will be a very very nice CPU comparable to the reputation Sandy Bridge has earned.
m
0
l
July 24, 2012 6:53:14 PM

And how does adding cores and HT make it lower temps?
m
0
l
July 24, 2012 6:57:46 PM

azeem40 said:
And how does adding cores and HT make it lower temps?


no no no not like that..


lets see...i5 runs cooler than the i7 quad. this is because of hyper threading. The i7 six core will run hotter than the i7 quad because of the additional cores.

Cores and Hyperthreading each increase heat. If you want lower heat, disable hyper threading, if you want less heat, get fewer cores. Does that make more sense?
m
0
l
July 24, 2012 6:57:48 PM

LOL - this is similar (just updated slightly) to what I spent and built last year and I'm now giving that computer to my nephew and building a ground-up new one this month. So, I'll try to help you out on lessons learned:

1. Asus Rampage Motherboard. Great if you're going to overclock but has the longest boot time in the industry - this is just getting through the Bios. You can google this and find reviews confirming this but it has to check so many things before it gets to Windows screen. My laptop (with an SSD) boots in 1/3 the time of my desktop. So, there's a price to pay.

I've gone with a lower priced Asus board because I love their bios but all Asus boards have slow boots and, the Rampage is the slowest of all. I belive Anandtech has this around 35 seconds just to get through the bios which is about right.

2. You have taken a high-risk strategy with your 2 x 120 SSD and just 1 x 2TB HDD. Significantly riskier than a 1 x 256 SSD and 2 x 3tb HDD (in Raid 1). You've been forewarned (I have the safer option and also back-up daily to a NAS).

3. I currently have 16gb and went with 32gb G.Skill Ripjaws 2133 memory to assist with CS6 editing. Newegg has this and I called G.Skills to discuss. I can't wait to fire this on CS6.

4. The 690 is "insanely awesome" choice. Of course, you'd be well advised instead to get an EVGA or new Galaxy 4gb GTX670 and then if you need more horsepower you can add a second one in SLI but shoot for the moon.

5. You can see a lot of guys recommend the Nochua cooler. I'd concur. I've gone with a Phantecks due to color vanity and it is the closest out there but Nochua is great.

6. If you're going all-out, highly recommend back-lit mechanical keyboard. It's where you spend your day and I consider it my single best investment. Only choice is Cherry Blue (loud, what I use) or Cherry Brown (silent, what I got for my nephew).

7. There's new Platinum rated power supplies you might look at. From what I've read, this is fairly basic industry but a revolution coming later this year with computers in the supply to greater save on power. Makes sense but that's still a few months out.

Hope this helps!

m
0
l
July 24, 2012 7:02:39 PM

peakjunkie said:
2. You have taken a high-risk strategy with your 2 x 120 SSD and just 1 x 2TB HDD. Significantly riskier than a 1 x 256 SSD and 2 x 3tb HDD (in Raid 1). You've been forewarned (I have the safer option and also back-up daily to a NAS).


You are correct, 2 x SSD in a Raid 0 is risky, but there is also a significant performance boost. This is why you only want your OS and Installed games on this array. If the array fails, or a ssd goes bad, its very simple, and quick since its ssd in a raid 0, to just reinstall the OS and games. The only files that you should really care about on your computer are the ones on your hhd's, which in a perfect world you want to use 4 hhd in a raid 10 configuration for crazy hdd speeds and redundancy.
m
0
l
July 25, 2012 5:41:18 AM

peakjunkie said:
LOL - this is similar (just updated slightly) to what I spent and built last year and I'm now giving that computer to my nephew and building a ground-up new one this month. So, I'll try to help you out on lessons learned:

1. Asus Rampage Motherboard. Great if you're going to overclock but has the longest boot time in the industry - this is just getting through the Bios. You can google this and find reviews confirming this but it has to check so many things before it gets to Windows screen. My laptop (with an SSD) boots in 1/3 the time of my desktop. So, there's a price to pay.

I've gone with a lower priced Asus board because I love their bios but all Asus boards have slow boots and, the Rampage is the slowest of all. I belive Anandtech has this around 35 seconds just to get through the bios which is about right.

2. You have taken a high-risk strategy with your 2 x 120 SSD and just 1 x 2TB HDD. Significantly riskier than a 1 x 256 SSD and 2 x 3tb HDD (in Raid 1). You've been forewarned (I have the safer option and also back-up daily to a NAS).

3. I currently have 16gb and went with 32gb G.Skill Ripjaws 2133 memory to assist with CS6 editing. Newegg has this and I called G.Skills to discuss. I can't wait to fire this on CS6.

4. The 690 is "insanely awesome" choice. Of course, you'd be well advised instead to get an EVGA or new Galaxy 4gb GTX670 and then if you need more horsepower you can add a second one in SLI but shoot for the moon.

5. You can see a lot of guys recommend the Nochua cooler. I'd concur. I've gone with a Phantecks due to color vanity and it is the closest out there but Nochua is great.

6. If you're going all-out, highly recommend back-lit mechanical keyboard. It's where you spend your day and I consider it my single best investment. Only choice is Cherry Blue (loud, what I use) or Cherry Brown (silent, what I got for my nephew).

7. There's new Platinum rated power supplies you might look at. From what I've read, this is fairly basic industry but a revolution coming later this year with computers in the supply to greater save on power. Makes sense but that's still a few months out.

Hope this helps!



Thanks for this! Was very helpful!

Question:

Do you think it is worth it to get the Rampage Extreme with the long boot time? Or should I go for something else. It should be noted that I may plan to buy a second GTX 690 eventually :pt1cable: 
m
0
l
July 25, 2012 3:37:58 PM

I found the link to post times - http://www.anandtech.com/show/6108/gigabyte-gaz77xud5h-...

They don't have the Z77 Rampage listed here but you can find the similar time checks for z68 and it confirm it is the single longest since it has the most features to pre-check before booting to windows. This long "bios check" time is daily and noticeable. As I said, my laptop is about 20 seconds faster since it reduces the check to maybe 2 - 3 seconds.

Even planning for 2 x GTX690 will put you in the stratosphere for cooling needs and power needs (not to mention money needs). I can't imagine it in a system as that is the equivalent of 4 x GTX680 under the hood. But you need to really review your case choice primarily. A Silverstone FT02 is one of the coolest cases currently (and is now fully USB 3.0) since it has a unique design. You can read many supporters here on this forum and they made me one. I'm now on my 2nd case and it is amazing (for air only - not water cool).

Motherboards would be the least of your worries but to answer your question directly, any of the middle-upper full size boards around $200 will easily cover your needs since you're still only thinking of 2 cards (the Rampage offers benefits of using 3 or 4 cards).

And yes, I still like and trust Asus even though ASRock (an Asus spin-off) boots super fast since it doesn't always check everything. I would only steer you away from the Asus Sabertooth with its covered areas (which are certainly nice look) since you need maximum free airflow.

Hope this helps.

m
0
l
July 25, 2012 9:18:46 PM

peakjunkie said:
I found the link to post times - http://www.anandtech.com/show/6108/gigabyte-gaz77xud5h-...

They don't have the Z77 Rampage listed here but you can find the similar time checks for z68 and it confirm it is the single longest since it has the most features to pre-check before booting to windows. This long "bios check" time is daily and noticeable. As I said, my laptop is about 20 seconds faster since it reduces the check to maybe 2 - 3 seconds.

Even planning for 2 x GTX690 will put you in the stratosphere for cooling needs and power needs (not to mention money needs). I can't imagine it in a system as that is the equivalent of 4 x GTX680 under the hood. But you need to really review your case choice primarily. A Silverstone FT02 is one of the coolest cases currently (and is now fully USB 3.0) since it has a unique design. You can read many supporters here on this forum and they made me one. I'm now on my 2nd case and it is amazing (for air only - not water cool).

Motherboards would be the least of your worries but to answer your question directly, any of the middle-upper full size boards around $200 will easily cover your needs since you're still only thinking of 2 cards (the Rampage offers benefits of using 3 or 4 cards).

And yes, I still like and trust Asus even though ASRock (an Asus spin-off) boots super fast since it doesn't always check everything. I would only steer you away from the Asus Sabertooth with its covered areas (which are certainly nice look) since you need maximum free airflow.

Hope this helps.


Thanks for being so helpful. But everywhere I have read the 800D is a solid case so I personally don't think that choice needs revision. After reading these posts I didn't order everything yet.

What I haven't decided on:

RAM and Mobo



As for RAM I am thinking 16GB (4x4) or 32GB (4x8) of Corsair Vengeance RAM. Sound like a solid and safe choice?

As for the motherboard I really don't know.

I want something will have the ability to support a 2nd 690 in case I ever decide to go for it but I also want a solid board. One with a short bootup would be nice too. Maybe I should just get the Rampage IV Extreme, I dunno!! :pfff: 


m
0
l
July 26, 2012 12:06:20 AM

800d is solid choice but the comment is because 2 x 690 is "extreme" in terms of voltage and heat. I'd suggest you call Corsair and ask their recommendation for ancillary fans because that is serious heat you'll be putting out is you go with 2 GPUs.

The good news is that your approach actually means that the Mobo is less important because one of key advantages of Rampage is for 3+ video cards and your plans don't call for that. And this comes from a current Rampage owner (Z68) downgrading to a with new Z77 build. Yes, there is a price to pay for overkill and no benefit for what you want to build.

You're also like me in that you want a highly stable, super fast set-up but you don't seem to want to overclock on and off. Hence, the recommendation above for 32gb of 2133 Ripjaws. They're the max. speed that X77 supports and so the focus is on quality and not over-clocking. And, I spoke directly with GSkill about this recommendation before purchasing.

Hope this helps - I don't post a lot but you sound like the exact decisions I was wrestling with a year ago on my first build. FRankly, all these issues are fairly minor and the 2 biggest tips IMO for you are to get a single 256gb SSD and a mechanical keyboard. Both will "make your day."
m
0
l
July 26, 2012 4:05:47 AM

peakjunkie said:
800d is solid choice but the comment is because 2 x 690 is "extreme" in terms of voltage and heat. I'd suggest you call Corsair and ask their recommendation for ancillary fans because that is serious heat you'll be putting out is you go with 2 GPUs.

The good news is that your approach actually means that the Mobo is less important because one of key advantages of Rampage is for 3+ video cards and your plans don't call for that. And this comes from a current Rampage owner (Z68) downgrading to a with new Z77 build. Yes, there is a price to pay for overkill and no benefit for what you want to build.

You're also like me in that you want a highly stable, super fast set-up but you don't seem to want to overclock on and off. Hence, the recommendation above for 32gb of 2133 Ripjaws. They're the max. speed that X77 supports and so the focus is on quality and not over-clocking. And, I spoke directly with GSkill about this recommendation before purchasing.

Hope this helps - I don't post a lot but you sound like the exact decisions I was wrestling with a year ago on my first build. FRankly, all these issues are fairly minor and the 2 biggest tips IMO for you are to get a single 256gb SSD and a mechanical keyboard. Both will "make your day."



I see what you are saying about the RIVE not really being needed for me. I think I will consider that 32gb gskill 2133mhz. I still have no idea what to get in terms of motherboard :I
m
0
l
July 27, 2012 9:05:13 PM

Can anyone help me finalize this :) ?
m
0
l
!