No POST beep or display with RAM installed (Checklist Completed)

Jacky-V

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
So my issue is this. I put together a homebuilt system at Christmas, the power supply was just a factory 500w one, but the build worked fine.

A couple of weeks in, the PSU blew. I purchased a Corsair CX500, and installed it. The computer powered up, but there was no display. After a lot of playing around I gave up.

Cut to now. I decided to try this again, so after lots of googling of the error, I found the thread on here with the checklist of things to try. I got down to breadboarding and with just the Motherboard, CPU and HSF (and of course, the PSU), I was hearing no alert beeps indicating the missing RAM.

Naturally, I presumed this to be a motherboard issue so I purchased a new one.

Breadboarding this in the same state as mentioned above yielded the 3 beeps indicating missing memory. (At this point, then, it is safe to assume the CPU and Motherboard are fine, right?).

I placed in the RAM, but the same problems arose as before. There was no display, no post beep. Following the checklist again, this indicated a possible bad PSU. But to be sure, I tried different RAM combinations and eventually purchased more RAM to test this too... Same problem.

So, I purchased a new PSU and even more RAM today (just to be safe) and I am *still* not getting the POST beep nor any display. All I get is the three warning beeps when there is no RAM installed.

At this point, the only thing constant is the CPU, but if this were faulty, surely there would be no beeps at all? (Or so the checklist leads me to believe).

If anyone could help, I'd be massively grateful. Here is a list of the components etc... for before and current.

Original:
Corsair CX500 PSU
MSI AMD AM3 770 Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 960T Black Edition Quad Core Processor
Corsair XMS3 RAM 4GB (2x 2GB Sticks) 1333mhz.
XFX HD 6770 HD GPU
Samsung 160gb SATA HDD

Current:
Win Power+Plus 800w PSU (Or Corsair CX500 PSU)
MSI 760GM-P23 Motherboard (AM3+)
AMD Phenom II X4 960T Black Edition Quad Core Processor
Corsair XMS3 RAM 4GB (2x 2GB Sticks) 1333mhz. (Or Crucial Ballistix PC3 4GB kit (2x 2GB Sticks)).
XFX HD 6770 HD GPU
Samsung 160gb SATA HDD

(The stuff in brackets is stuff I still own and have tested with various different combinations and set ups).

I think that's everything, if anyone has encountered this problem and can help at all, I would be extremely grateful. Literally pulling my hair out as a solution seems unreachable.

Jacky-V

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
Yeah, the video card worked fine in a different machine. But since the computer won't play any alert beeps for a missing video card, or beep at all with RAM in, it's unrelated to the GPU...

Shockattackr

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
I still question the Processor, try finding say a Phenom II x4 965 BE, (always an excellent choice in processor had mine for nearly 2 years before going intel)

Jacky-V

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
The processor is the only thing that hasn't been replaced. It just seems highly unlikely given that the system runs as far as recognising missing RAM.

Since I've essentially bought another computer's worth of components, I can't really afford a new CPU, so I'll just have to send it off (given that it's still under warranty), unless a solution comes up based on the information here.

Shockattackr

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
yea it the Processor is still under warranty best bet is to send it to them. nothing is worse then throwing money at a problem. Cuz from what your saying. Video card is fine, PSU is fine, Ram is fine, the Mobo is new. ( i cant see it being a bios issue), only thing left is processor

Jacky-V

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
Just an update: CCL Online, the company I purchased the processor from, are certain that the cause is not the processor.

There is nothing else left to switch out besides the processor and case - It's obviously not the case. However, it seems I am going to need to purchase a replacement processor now.

What I've essentially done is buy a new PC minus the case, graphics card and HDD... Pretty ridiculous. I'll update the thread if this works as it will undoubtedly help others in the same situation who are as frustrated as I am...