Treo 650 as a "modem" tethered to a laptop

I am pretty sure this can be done, but I thought I'd check with the group
here to see if anyone has actually done this.

I would like to use the Treo 650, either with a cable or with bluetooth, as
a modem on a laptop so I can access Cingular's network (and the Internet). I
know you need a MediaNet account, which I have. I think I know how to do
this with BT, but I am curious if you can do this with the hot sync cable
that comes with the Treo?

If you have done this, I would be interested in hearing your experiences and
whether there were any issues in getting it to work.

Cheers
TC

In <t5VMe.8656$RS.1154@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net> on Thu, 18 Aug 2005
05:34:17 GMT, "Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I am pretty sure this can be done, but I thought I'd check with the group
>here to see if anyone has actually done this.
>
>I would like to use the Treo 650, either with a cable or with bluetooth, as
>a modem on a laptop so I can access Cingular's network (and the Internet). I
>know you need a MediaNet account, which I have. I think I know how to do
>this with BT, but I am curious if you can do this with the hot sync cable
>that comes with the Treo?
>
>If you have done this, I would be interested in hearing your experiences and
>whether there were any issues in getting it to work.

You have two choices for using your Treo 650 as a wireless link to the
Internet for your laptop:

1. Bluetooth. With the latest internal firmware, the Treo 650 will function as
a wireless Bluetooth modem. If your laptop doesn't have Bluetooth built-in,
then you will need a Bluetooth-USB dongle, available for $20. Good source is
newegg.com

2. USB cable. The USB hotsync cable can only be used for modem functions with
3rd-party add-on software installed in the Treo 650. The free trial version
PdaNet for the Treo 650 can be downloaded from
http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/trial650.php

you also might want to check mytreo.net for help with the treo's