does a quiet hard drive exist?

Reverend_Bel

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2001
I have a computer I built a while a ago (cel 533, 384 mb pc133, overclocked radeon VE, game theatre XP, 30 GB ata100 7200 rpm WD HD) and I am quite pleased with the performance. The only complaint I have is that the damn thing is really loud.

I want to build a new system that is as close to silent as can be. Getting a quiet cooler won't be hard, but my hard drive makes some awful sounds sometimes. What I need iseither a really quiet HD or maybe they make some sort of sound deadening jacket to put around the HD.

If anybody knows anything about a product or has heard of any tricks (enen if you heard from some guy at a lan party that you can wrap the HD in goose feathers to limit vibration) please give me something (voodoo incantations, suspend the HD in a vacuum chamber), anything.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
How quiet do you want it? I have 5 - 7200 RPM Maxtor drives and I can't hear them at all. Granted my Processor fan howls the night away, but even then I have to put my ear up to them to hear to see if the one's I have in my RAID array even spin up ...

I would go with either Maxtor or IBM drives. Both are very quiet, have good performance, and are reliable drives.

<font color=red>"Can you deal with that!"</font color=red>

marty10g

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2001
My Vote is IBM Deskstar 60GXP
2nd Choice Seagate U Series 5
Both run very quiet

INTELigence is gained by obtaining aMD

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
<i><font color=green>" ...The only complaint I have is that the damn thing is really loud.
I want to build a new system that is as close to silent as can be. Getting a quiet cooler won't be hard, but my hard drive makes some awful sounds sometimes. What I need iseither a really quiet HD or maybe they make some sort of sound deadening jacket to put around the HD..."</font color=green></i>

Model:……………………………….… Barracuda ATA IV
Technology:…Seagate sound barrier, SBT, Defense System, Diagnostic 3D
RpM : ……………………………………7200
Capacity:…………………………..… 80GB
Transfer rate (max.): .......69.3 MB/s (555Mbit/s)
Seek time (average): ........8.9ms
Cache:……………………………………..2MB
Platters:……………………………………2
Motors: .........…………………………SoftSonic
Nose level in free rotation: ……….....…2.0 dBA
Nose level in seek regime: …………….....…2.4 dBA
<font color=red>(Nose level human ear can recognize: ……2.5 dBA)</font color=red>

<A HREF="http://www.quietpc.com/products.html" target="_new">This</A> link will provide coolers, drive enclosures, case fans and PSUs which I have.

They are pretty sweet.

If you use 60GXP drives with these enclosures, its excellent!

<b>
If the best things in life are free, why do I keep upgrading my system? :smile:
</b>

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The IBM 75GXPs are controllable with a piece of software (performance-noise level balance). I believe the 60GXPs are too.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

ive got the 30gig imb 75gxp and it is very quite. i cant hear it now cause of my cpu fan takes control hehe

"Nose level in free rotation: ……….....…2.0 dBA
Nose level in seek regime: …………….....…2.4 dBA
(Nose level human ear can recognize: ……2.5 dBA)"

errr how bout when its transferring data? thats when the hdd are most loudest, not when they are just idleing or seeking.

G

Hard drives make their loudest noise when seeking. 'Nuff said.

Leo

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
I have a Maxtor 60GB 5400rpm ATA100, and it is very quiet. You never hear it, not even a hum. It also runs cool and is fast enough for the typical home user.

:smile: <font color=green>I wonder...what is the speed of gravity!<font color=green> :smile:

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Yes, but many people today prefer 7200RPM hard drives. They make better use of the UATA100 interface than 5400RPM hard drives. Well, I personally can't ever hear my hard drive due to the GlobalWin WBK38's loud delta fan. But, to tell you the truth, I've been using it for a month or so (the CPU fan) and I got used to it. It doesn't bother me anymore, so why would a relatively quiet hard drive bother you? You'll get used to it! :smile:

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
“…errr how bout when its transferring data? thats when the hdd are most loudest, not when they are just idleing or seeking.”

I don’t trust much to what <A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/storage/00q3/000821/ibmdtla-06.html" target="_new">others </A> say about harddrive noise. I did my own tests.
I typed to my harddrive: Seek, and I heard the noise as a reply. Then I shouted: Transfer! But my harddrive remained silent. You see? :smile: