does a quiet hard drive exist?

I have a computer I built a while a ago (cel 533, 384 mb pc133, overclocked radeon VE, game theatre XP, 30 GB ata100 7200 rpm WD HD) and I am quite pleased with the performance. The only complaint I have is that the damn thing is really loud.

I want to build a new system that is as close to silent as can be. Getting a quiet cooler won't be hard, but my hard drive makes some awful sounds sometimes. What I need iseither a really quiet HD or maybe they make some sort of sound deadening jacket to put around the HD.

If anybody knows anything about a product or has heard of any tricks (enen if you heard from some guy at a lan party that you can wrap the HD in goose feathers to limit vibration) please give me something (voodoo incantations, suspend the HD in a vacuum chamber), anything.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh
10 answers Last reply
More about does quiet hard drive exist
  1. How quiet do you want it? I have 5 - 7200 RPM Maxtor drives and I can't hear them at all. Granted my Processor fan howls the night away, but even then I have to put my ear up to them to hear to see if the one's I have in my RAID array even spin up ...

I would go with either Maxtor or IBM drives. Both are very quiet, have good performance, and are reliable drives.

<font color=red>"Can you deal with that!"</font color=red>
  2. My Vote is IBM Deskstar 60GXP
    2nd Choice Seagate U Series 5
    Both run very quiet

INTELigence is gained by obtaining aMD
  3. Quote:
    <i><font color=green>" ...The only complaint I have is that the damn thing is really loud.
    I want to build a new system that is as close to silent as can be. Getting a quiet cooler won't be hard, but my hard drive makes some awful sounds sometimes. What I need iseither a really quiet HD or maybe they make some sort of sound deadening jacket to put around the HD..."</font color=green></i>

Model:……………………………….… Barracuda ATA IV
    Technology:…Seagate sound barrier, SBT, Defense System, Diagnostic 3D
    RpM : ……………………………………7200
    Capacity:…………………………..… 80GB
    Transfer rate (max.): .......69.3 MB/s (555Mbit/s)
    Seek time (average): ........8.9ms
    Cache:……………………………………..2MB
    Platters:……………………………………2
    Motors: .........…………………………SoftSonic
    Nose level in free rotation: ……….....…2.0 dBA
    Nose level in seek regime: …………….....…2.4 dBA
    <font color=red>(Nose level human ear can recognize: ……2.5 dBA)</font color=red>
  4. <A HREF="http://www.quietpc.com/products.html" target="_new">This</A> link will provide coolers, drive enclosures, case fans and PSUs which I have.

They are pretty sweet.

If you use 60GXP drives with these enclosures, its excellent!

<b>
    If the best things in life are free, why do I keep upgrading my system? :smile:
    </b>
  5. The IBM 75GXPs are controllable with a piece of software (performance-noise level balance). I believe the 60GXPs are too.

Rob
    Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>
  6. ive got the 30gig imb 75gxp and it is very quite. i cant hear it now cause of my cpu fan takes control hehe

"Nose level in free rotation: ……….....…2.0 dBA
    Nose level in seek regime: …………….....…2.4 dBA
    (Nose level human ear can recognize: ……2.5 dBA)"

errr how bout when its transferring data? thats when the hdd are most loudest, not when they are just idleing or seeking.
  7. Hard drives make their loudest noise when seeking. 'Nuff said.

Leo
  8. I have a Maxtor 60GB 5400rpm ATA100, and it is very quiet. You never hear it, not even a hum. It also runs cool and is fast enough for the typical home user.

:smile: <font color=green>I wonder...what is the speed of gravity!<font color=green> :smile:
  9. Yes, but many people today prefer 7200RPM hard drives. They make better use of the UATA100 interface than 5400RPM hard drives. Well, I personally can't ever hear my hard drive due to the GlobalWin WBK38's loud delta fan. But, to tell you the truth, I've been using it for a month or so (the CPU fan) and I got used to it. It doesn't bother me anymore, so why would a relatively quiet hard drive bother you? You'll get used to it! :smile:

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
  10. Quote:
    “…errr how bout when its transferring data? thats when the hdd are most loudest, not when they are just idleing or seeking.”

I don’t trust much to what <A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/storage/00q3/000821/ibmdtla-06.html" target="_new">others </A> say about harddrive noise. I did my own tests.
    I typed to my harddrive: Seek, and I heard the noise as a reply. Then I shouted: Transfer! But my harddrive remained silent. You see? :smile:
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives HD Storage