File transfer speed 1 PC wired to 1 PC wireless

TGPetersTomsHdwr

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
I spoke with two different support agents with a well respected router manufacturer. I got two different answers - No surprise.

So, I ask the forum, what file transfer speeds should I expect when transfering a good sized amount of data (10gig) from wired PC on a 10/100/1000 network router to another PC via wireless connection 20 (feet away + two walls) using 802.11N.

Both PC's are new / newer with win 7 64 bit. - Current transfer speeds - Both wired and wireless internet download speed tests are arond 21 meg per second. Both PC's wired and wireless get around 3.7 meg per second internet download (speed tests).

At this point - no real difference in internet access between PC's and wired / wireless.

However, when I copy a file from PC1 to PC 2 (both wired) I get 68 megs per second. When I transfer the same data set (10 gig) from PC1 wired to PC 2 wireless, the data transfer falls to 3.7 meg per second.

One rep told me to expect about 80% of my wired rate or about 54 megs per second (when using my 802.11N 300meg) equipment.

The other rep (same company) told me that the 3.7 meg per second ia about the best I can expect.

A transfer rate of 3.7 megs per second simply does not appear to be a reasonable speed given that all my wireless equipment is pretty new and supports numbers that are much higher.

Please comment

TGPetersTomsHdwr

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011