[New Build] Upgrades and Product uncertaintily assistance

hadukin

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
Hi,

Earlier this year I built a new system. At the time I chose sub-standard products because I had other plan and thus the budget was limited.

However, now I find myself needing to upgrade, especially because my GTX 680 does not work in my current setup. The problem is with the motherboard and perhaps the psu capacitor aging (if the calculator site is to be believed). PSU has run close to 24/7 for over a year.

Current specs

Processor: Core i7 920
Motherboard: Sapphire Pure Black x58 (Not the best choice in motherboards, especially for a nVidia card i know.)
cpu cooler: Corsair H60
RAM: Corsair Vengeance (6 x 4GB) 24GB total (maximum amount the board supports) No particular reason for the 24gb I just got the 6 chips for $120 total..so why not.
PSU: Corsair TX650W
Video card: ati radeon hd 4890 xt upgrading to gtx 680

Products I wish to upgrade are Processor (no choice, 1366 board are expensive and no PCI-E 3.0), Motherboard, PSU and video card. Ideally I would like to use all 6 of the 4GB chips in my new build. Since the 1155 motherboards do not have 6 memory slots, i decided to go with the 2011 chipset.

New Build Specs

Processor: Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E 3.6GHz
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011 Intel X79
Power Supply: Corsair TX 750

I would like to know if this is a good option selecting the 2011 build with the sandy bridge process or whether I should bite the bullet downgrade to 16gb ram and grab the ivy bridge processor and the ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77?

Secondly I doubt I would be requiring a psu greater than 750W...but should i just for future proofing grab a PSu 800W or higher?

hadukin

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
I guess my biggest problem is the video card...I find myself having to turn settings down to medium in a lot of games which gets annoying. There are certain games I can't play on anything but low.

How far away is Haswell would you know?

hadukin

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
Intrigued by Haswell but i don't know if i can wait that long and then be disappointed with the small boost in performance as with ivy bridge.

if anyone has some suggestions on the build i did post, It would be much appreciated.

its a tock in intel's tick-tock thing. ivy bridge was a tick meaning a die shrink and not much else. haswell will be a tock, meaning new architecture with a large increase in performance (like sandy bridge vs nehalem i believe). you should see 10-20% increases