Looking to upgrade graphics card but worried cpu is too old

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Desktops
  • Graphics Cards
Last response: in CPUs
December 5, 2012 7:02:23 PM

Hello everyone,

I received my old roommates desktop that is running on an Intel core2 quad, ATI 4800 series gpu, 4 gb RAM, and a 650w psu. I tried playing Planetside 2 the other day but the gpu doesn't meet the minimum requirements. Instead of just upgrading to the minimum I was going to spend around $200 for a new one. I'm worried that my cpu (or any other part of the computer) might hold back the rest of the system being that it is a generation old. I'm pretty new to the custom desktop community so any information would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

More about : upgrade graphics card worried cpu

a b à CPUs
December 5, 2012 7:07:10 PM

Will need more specs. What type of 650w PSU? What type of RAM (ddr, ddr2, ddr3?)? Which 4800 series gpu? 4850? 4870?

I say get a phenom II x4 965 BE + Mobo (Would need one for an upgrade at this, and any further, point in time anyway) + 7770.
m
l
December 5, 2012 9:42:09 PM

Thanks, I'm not quite sure about the psu and the RAM is probably whatever type was the latest in 2009. It is the ATI 4850 graphics card.

I think I'm learning that I might have to do basically a full upgrade. I was looking at maybe running a Radeon HD 7850 1 GB gpu.

Any suggestions for the rest of the build?

Thanks!
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 5, 2012 9:44:53 PM

I say Intel Core i3 3220/Intel Core i5 3570K, a Z77 motherboard, whatever GPU you like, 8GB of DDR3 RAM, a 650W PSU by Corsair, a nice Cooler Master case + a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus for your CPU.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
December 5, 2012 9:54:13 PM

More than likely it is DDR2 ram.
I'm running the same processor right now with a 4650 and do pretty good on games. But then again I don't run hardcore new stuff and I always have to turn off shadows.

Anyways. Any newer/faster vid card that you get should run fine. It may or may not be able to run at full throttle but you will get a performance boost regardless. Most people here will advocate a "balls to the wall" upgrade on everything. But for me, I only upgrade when I absolutely have to... which means when something breaks or the system just becomes so slow that it's unusable.

Also, along with a new vid card, get another 2 gigs of RAM if you can and you should be sitting pretty good for a while, along with Win7 64bit.
m
l
!