Looking to upgrade graphics card but worried cpu is too old

Hello everyone,

I received my old roommates desktop that is running on an Intel core2 quad, ATI 4800 series gpu, 4 gb RAM, and a 650w psu. I tried playing Planetside 2 the other day but the gpu doesn't meet the minimum requirements. Instead of just upgrading to the minimum I was going to spend around $200 for a new one. I'm worried that my cpu (or any other part of the computer) might hold back the rest of the system being that it is a generation old. I'm pretty new to the custom desktop community so any information would be helpful. Thanks in advance!
4 answers Last reply
More about looking upgrade graphics card worried
  1. Will need more specs. What type of 650w PSU? What type of RAM (ddr, ddr2, ddr3?)? Which 4800 series gpu? 4850? 4870?

I say get a phenom II x4 965 BE + Mobo (Would need one for an upgrade at this, and any further, point in time anyway) + 7770.
  2. Thanks, I'm not quite sure about the psu and the RAM is probably whatever type was the latest in 2009. It is the ATI 4850 graphics card.

I think I'm learning that I might have to do basically a full upgrade. I was looking at maybe running a Radeon HD 7850 1 GB gpu.

Any suggestions for the rest of the build?

Thanks!
  3. I say Intel Core i3 3220/Intel Core i5 3570K, a Z77 motherboard, whatever GPU you like, 8GB of DDR3 RAM, a 650W PSU by Corsair, a nice Cooler Master case + a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus for your CPU.
  4. More than likely it is DDR2 ram.
    I'm running the same processor right now with a 4650 and do pretty good on games. But then again I don't run hardcore new stuff and I always have to turn off shadows.

Anyways. Any newer/faster vid card that you get should run fine. It may or may not be able to run at full throttle but you will get a performance boost regardless. Most people here will advocate a "balls to the wall" upgrade on everything. But for me, I only upgrade when I absolutely have to... which means when something breaks or the system just becomes so slow that it's unusable.

Also, along with a new vid card, get another 2 gigs of RAM if you can and you should be sitting pretty good for a while, along with Win7 64bit.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Desktops Graphics Cards