Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

HELP!HOW DO I UPGRADE MY POWER SUPPLY!

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Components
Last response: in Components
December 5, 2012 7:15:30 PM

I am looking to upgrade my power supply, but i need some assistance on what to buy and what size.
I currently have a 250 watt power supply.
I want a power supply to handle the following:
HP Pavilion a6110n PC -
ASUSTek NARRA2 motherboard
AMD Anthlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor ~ Max speed ~ 3.7MHz
4 GB RAM DDR2
XFX ONE R-Series Radeon HD 5450 ON-XFX1-PLS2 Video Card~Requires~400 WATTS

WHAT POWER SUPPLY SHOULD I GET!?(SIZE,BRAND, ECT.)

More about : upgrade power supply

a c 878 ) Power supply
December 5, 2012 7:19:37 PM

Your current PSU will handle the rig with HD5450. 400watts is a major overstatement.
m
l
December 5, 2012 7:23:17 PM

rolli59 said:
Your current PSU will handle the rig with HD5450. 400watts is a major overstatement.

But the problem is most of OEMs have cheap power supplies that are overrated. (at least I assume, I don't what manufacture does PSUs for HP)
m
l
Related resources
December 5, 2012 7:27:32 PM

rolli59 said:

HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT IT IS A OVERSTATEMENT???
m
l
December 5, 2012 7:31:11 PM

rolli59 said:
Regardless the total consumption on a system like that is well under 200watts http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1202/11/

Nice find :) 

But cheap brands like logysis overstate their output by ridiculous amounts. For example, I read somewhere that their 600W units actually produced only ~300W.

As for OP, you'll be fine most probably.
m
l
December 5, 2012 10:31:35 PM

rolli59 said:
No it does not make a difference here is another test where the 1GB card only pulls 13 watts at peak load. http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/HD_5450_1_GB/27....

I understand, however I am still skeptical about the tests.
If I do install the card, even though it says 400 watts and i only have 250 watts, what would happen to my computer if it gets installed without the necessary wattage?
Would it simply not work? or Would it fry?
m
l
December 5, 2012 10:52:16 PM

javydiaz said:
If I do install the card, even though it says 400 watts and i only have 250 watts, what would happen to my computer if it gets installed without the necessary wattage?

Those test are 200% more reliable than the rated minimum wattage form the manufacturer.

It's because manufacturers recommended wattage has to account for a A LOT of variables- from your PC specs to overrated wattage on most low end PSUs. Hence they exaggerate the minimum wattage required by huge margin, so that they don't get customers complaining about their 20$ "500" watt PSU not being able to support their rig.
m
l
a c 502 ) Power supply
December 5, 2012 11:16:32 PM

javydiaz said:

Hi - as Rolli & Shuman have stated, the tests done by reputable labs are far more worthy
than the wattage # suggested by GPU mfg's. They are generally playing CYA, in some
cases because of "bottom feeding" PSU brands that overstate (lie) their PSU's
specs. In any event 250w will run that particular card. If you want to upgrade anyway,
then go with a 400w unit from a quality PSU supplier, ie Seasonic, Antec, XFX,
Corsair, PC P&C, & a few others.

Tom
m
l
December 6, 2012 11:44:00 PM

toyftw said:
Hi - as Rolli & Shuman have stated, the tests done by reputable labs are far more worthy
than the wattage # suggested by GPU mfg's. They are generally playing CYA, in some
cases because of "bottom feeding" PSU brands that overstate (lie) their PSU's
specs. In any event 250w will run that particular card. If you want to upgrade anyway,
then go with a 400w unit from a quality PSU supplier, ie Seasonic, Antec, XFX,
Corsair, PC P&C, & a few others.

Tom

Alright if the test are indeed true.
What would happen if say I did some intense gaming?
Wouldn't that cause more wattage in the video card itself to be used?
Then, in a case, would the video card itself not work or would it make my power supply explode?
m
l
a c 878 ) Power supply
December 7, 2012 12:04:09 AM

javydiaz said:
Alright if the test are indeed true.
What would happen if say I did some intense gaming?
Wouldn't that cause more wattage in the video card itself to be used?
Then, in a case, would the video card itself not work or would it make my power supply explode?

The test are done with as intense gaming as the card is capable of. Really if you want to do some gaming you should consider a stronger card HD5570 or HD6570 at min which still will run on 250 watt PSU's.
m
l
December 7, 2012 12:14:25 AM

If you want to be future-proof, get a good 650w/750w good branded PSU if you are intending on getting a better rig down the line.

At the moment your system isn't power hungry at all.
m
l