Closed Solved

560ti 2gb sli VS gtx 680

hello,

im new to the site, :hello:

i am already running a single EVGA GTX 560 TI 2 GB version in my PC with 750 cooler master PSU, now i wanted to play with nvidia surround using 3 monitors, but im a little confused as to buy the new 680 or but another 2gb 560ti to run on SLI.

now my questions are:

1. having more vram i.e with 2 x gtx 560TI 2gb SLI ( 4GB in total :whistle: ) be better is than a one GTX 680 2gb?

2. What about FPS on 3 monitors , which would be better for Battlefield 3?

over all which setup is better??

thanks, would be really helpful if u guys answer my questions
31 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 560ti
  1. 1. VRAM is SLI does not add up. 2 GB + 2 GB in SLI = 2 GB in total.
    2. I suspect they would be around the same in performance, I'd go with second GTX 560 Ti, because it would be cheaper for you.
  2. I typically recommend a single more powerful card over a multi-gpu configuration.

When you run SLI, each GPU uses its own VRAM, so you would have 2GB per GPU, not 4GB total. It doesn't add like that.

If you are able to sell your current 560 TI I would do that and go with a single more powerful card.

I personally run 3 x 1080p monitors, and I went with AMD this round. the 3GB of VRAM and great overclocking performance on the 7950 and 7970 made it worthwhile for me (I got a 7970). But you you are in the nVidia camp, you would be better off with a 670, and overclocking it, since you'd get within a few % of the performance of a 680
  3. lol ok got it 2gb+2gb in sli =2gb

would the 750 cooler master PSU be enought if i go for SLI??

what about FPS??

will i see great difference between the 560ti SLI and the 680 in graphical area?

sorry to be a pain but im new too the SLI so im just confused....
  4. GTX 560 Ti in SLI should be a bit faster than single GTX 680 (around 15% faster considering 90% scaling).

Which exactly coolermaster PSU model do you have?
  5. Just get a GTX 680. I made the switch from two 560 ti's to a 670 and love the performance i get
  6. Yea your PSU is sufficient for either way
  7. I would rather go with a single powerhouse GPU solution than go with SLI/CFX and bother with compatibility, scaling, and such.

Less heat, less hassle. Plus reselling a single card is much easier.
  8. the architecture of the cards is completely different. you need to look beyond FPS........ doesn't mean that much when comparing the two. Go with the single bigger card.
  9. Rockdpm said:
    Just get a GTX 680. I made the switch from two 560 ti's to a 670 and love the performance i get

Good comment from Rockdpm. I put lots more credence in an opinion from those who have actually done it.

FPS benchmarks are only one part of the analysis.
    With two cards, you may have an issue with microstuttering:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995.html

A GTX670/GTX680 is a 28nm tech, and will run cooler.
    With two GTX560ti in sli, you will have more of a heat issue. Particularly the top card.
  10. And i can vouch for the heat comment. the top card was always about 4-6c hotter than the reference card below it
  11. I'm in the same boat. I've been watching prices on ebay and have seen plenty of 560Tis going for mid hundreds. So that puts a 670 at 400-150= $250. About $50 more than another 560Ti and you don't have the sli heat/noise/extra power consumption issues.
  12. I'd say a single card is better than two equal cards put together to match it. ANY DAY
  13. I agree, however, you still have to rate the cost. Buying a gtx 560 Ti is way cheaper than buying a GTX 680.
  14. nah actually its about the same price
  15. uhmhm $200 vs $500 uhmhm
  16. I just had to log in and comment...

GO WITH THE 670 or 680! I have 2 560 ti's in SLI and the stuttering in BF3 is just horrible and unplayable, in most other games it is fine. I now just dedicate the 2nd card to Physx and it's nice and smooth using only 1 card.

I would go with a 670 that's OC'd. It will perform better than 2 560 ti's, just look at Toms charts.
  17. Sunius said:
    uhmhm $200 vs $500 uhmhm

a single 560 ti will cost you 200$ bro. not two 560 ti's So... 400$ 1GB's of vram (Because vram doesn't pool in SLI), More heat and power usage, and microstutter with Scaling.

VS

GTX 670: Power of a GTX 680 without spending a extra 120$. Less power requirement, better performance. No micro stuttering. and access to the latest technologies like GPU Boost and FX AA and many more!

GTX 680: same GK 104 as GTX 670 just a little more standard powerful.. Idk bro you do the math. 1GB of vram vs 2GB of vram....
  18. DON'T go with the GX750w, I have the 650w GX series and I found issues with it within the first hour or so running a single 6950, it gives poor 12v rails (opposite to what it says on the box) I would go with something down the Corsair range or something from a more trusted PSU vendor.
  19. I heard only Gold Cooler master power supplys are worthy of the enthusiast.
  20. Rockdpm said:
    a single 560 ti will cost you 200$ bro. not two 560 ti's So... 400$ 1GB's of vram (Because vram doesn't pool in SLI), More heat and power usage, and microstutter with Scaling.

VS

GTX 670: Power of a GTX 680 without spending a extra 120$. Less power requirement, better performance. No micro stuttering. and access to the latest technologies like GPU Boost and FX AA and many more!

GTX 680: same GK 104 as GTX 670 just a little more standard powerful.. Idk bro you do the math. 1GB of vram vs 2GB of vram....

Yea the problem is he already has one GTX 560 Ti..
  21. Sunius said:
    Yea the problem is he already has one GTX 560 Ti..

And the solution is to sell it...and use the total cash a better single card. Come on man. I just told you, i tried two 560 ti's for a long time. SLI brings microstutter. my 670? gives me no microstutter even without adaptive vsync. and i get the same if not better frame rates than my two 560 ti's
  22. Rockdpm said:
    And the solution is to sell it...and use the total cash a better single card. Come on man. I just told you, i tried two 560 ti's for a long time. SLI brings microstutter. my 670? gives me no microstutter even without adaptive vsync. and i get the same if not better frame rates than my two 560 ti's

Might be.. I am just trying to save him money. Personally, I doubt he can get much for a used GTX 560 Ti.
  23. Actually they still sell for like 150-189 on ebay. You set the price right and the bidding will work its way up. Plus no one needs a 680 now that the 670's are out and baller
  24. ok so all final verdict??

GTX 560ti sli :hello: GONE....

now

should i choose:

GTX 680

or :love:

GTX 670

my requirements are running 3 monitors with navidia surround.

fps should be good and in the near future i could add one more card for when the prices go down some what.

thanks and you all have been very helpful

o and FIY i have the asus p8z68 deluxe/gen 3 motherboard.
  25. lol ok but for what i have researched on many forums not much difference between the 680 and 670... may be 5 to 6 % innit??
  26. Best answer
    get the 670 and overclock it. You'll get to 680 performance no problem, and you'll save yourself $100
  27. blade061188 said:
    get the 670 and overclock it. You'll get to 680 performance no problem, and you'll save yourself $100

+1
  28. ok so will a single gtx 670 ( over clocked maybe )be able to coop with 3 monitors at ultra setting or high on bf3 ?
  29. Best answer selected by wheelspk.
  30. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx SLI Graphics