What's the use of "n" and "nn" in dungeons...

Recently I've played my first dungeon with four other players I've never
met before. I had to learn to use n and nn depending on the items to roll.
As far as I understood "n" stands for "need" and "nn" for "need not" -
right?

What's this useful for? If someone wants a certain item he/she can simply
roll the dice. Players not interested in it cancel the roll. Why should I
type n or nn instead?

I know it might be useful to clarify some things before going into
battle... for example that all wool is for X and all diamonds are for Y.

But what's that part with n and nn useful for?

--
Daniel Bleisteiner
....spielt WoW mit Mirandir (Dunkelelf-Jäger 24)

    u post n for need and g for "greed" i think...
    u post it, cause if all dont need (so "g") all roll... if u just pass
    roll (and all do) the first looter gets it...

    maxnew...@web.de a écrit :
    > u post n for need and g for "greed" i think...
    > u post it, cause if all dont need (so "g") all roll... if u just pass
    > roll (and all do) the first looter gets it...

    n = need
    g = greed (= v = vendor)

    When a roll window appears, those who need it type "n" so that those
    who greed it can have the opportunity to pass. "nn" is generally used
    when two roll windows appear, to inform others that you need both.

    There are a number of other loot rule systems that you will discover
    later, but this one seems to be commonly accepted (on my server, horde
    side at least).

    Thats what i meant... If all pass the item gets in "free to loot"
    status and first one clickin CAN get item... If u r in group u usually
    play with (or guildmembers etc.) that doesnt matter... but if u dont
    know the others its better to go save way and just type "n" or "g" and
    then decide to roll... like this everybody gets what he need.
    sure.. someone that dont need and roll anyway (and roll higher than the
    one that need) will get item the difference is:
    In "free loot" the person could say "oh... im sorry.. was mistake... im
    so sorry..." and u dont know if he is really sorry AND lost the item.
    In "n" and "g": the person that dont need roll and perhaps he dont roll
    as high as the one that need... so u can blame him without loosing the
    item. if he do a 2nd time, kick him out of group.
    In first case u loose 2 items before u can be sure that he is a
    "ninja"...

    Why not just use the 'Need before greed' loot option from the game?

    > If everyone does it smoothly, then *no-one* has to "decide after
    > some seconds of waiting" - you just watch for 5 'g's to appear in
    > the log, and then hit the dice icon. Simple. If even a single 'n'
    > appears, you hit the pass icon. what could be more easy?

    A simple, effective solution.

    Which explains why I've never seen it on Stormrage. :-D

    Regards,
    Noal

    --
    Dharzhak - Night Elf Druid (60) on Stormrage [PvE]
    Kemwer - Tauren Warrior (34) on Stormrage [PvE]

    I don't understand, what's wrong with that? I'd rather have that than
    just random on all greens, mages don't get the swords and warriors
    don't get the wands, what's the problem?

    "Daniel Bleisteiner" <news@da3x.de> wrote in message
    > Recently I've played my first dungeon with four other players I've never
    > met before. I had to learn to use n and nn depending on the items to roll.
    > As far as I understood "n" stands for "need" and "nn" for "need not" -
    > right?
    >
    > What's this useful for? If someone wants a certain item he/she can simply
    > roll the dice. Players not interested in it cancel the roll. Why should I
    > type n or nn instead?
    >
    > I know it might be useful to clarify some things before going into
    > battle... for example that all wool is for X and all diamonds are for Y.
    >
    > But what's that part with n and nn useful for?
    >
    > --
    > Daniel Bleisteiner
    > ...spielt WoW mit Mirandir (Dunkelelf-Jäger 24)
    > ...und Krishnak (Ork-Schurke 19) auf Aman'Thul!

    It's useful for Bind on Pickup items. We (my usual group) follow these
    rules:

    1. Bind on Equip items: All roll, sort it out later
    2. Bind on Pickup: ALL PASS! State need or greed. If only 1 needs, then it's
    theirs, otherwise roll off between the needy. If no-one needs, all roll for
    greed.
    3. Need = Better than current kit, and will be used. Dis-enchanting is Greed
    4. Classes have 1st dibs on class specific items

    I have a macro that I can spam out the rules with, and use it when the group
    forms, and usually before the 1st loot boss, if I know it's coming. It stops
    arguments happening about rolling 'after' the item has been won and
    soulbound. Also, people need reminding when that lovely purple item drops,
    and the players get the 'purple haze'. :-)

    >> 1. Bind on Equip items: All roll, sort it out later
    >> 2. Bind on Pickup: ALL PASS! State need or greed. If only 1 needs, then it's
    >> theirs, otherwise roll off between the needy. If no-one needs, all roll for
    >> greed.
    >
    > Raid rules are many times different from this.

    Not by much.

    Everyone gets one blue, one set item and one quest item (Pristine Hide,
    Frayed Abomination Stitching, etc.). (sometimes it's one blue or one
    set item.) Green BoPs count as blues for this purpose. Once you've got
    your quota, you don't roll dice anymore.
    Everyone rolls on all green BoEs.
    If everybody passes, everyone uses /random to determine the winner.
    Once that's done, the winner loots, someone else loots and DEs for
    them, or (rarely) someone offers to buy the item from the winner.

    Regards,
    Noal

    --

    Alex wrote:
    > "Daniel Bleisteiner" <news@da3x.de> wrote in message
    >
    >>Recently I've played my first dungeon with four other players I've never
    >>met before. I had to learn to use n and nn depending on the items to roll.
    >>As far as I understood "n" stands for "need" and "nn" for "need not" -
    >>right?
    >>
    >>What's this useful for? If someone wants a certain item he/she can simply
    >>roll the dice. Players not interested in it cancel the roll. Why should I
    >>type n or nn instead?
    >>
    >>I know it might be useful to clarify some things before going into
    >>battle... for example that all wool is for X and all diamonds are for Y.
    >>
    >>But what's that part with n and nn useful for?
    >>
    >>--
    >>Daniel Bleisteiner
    >>...spielt WoW mit Mirandir (Dunkelelf-Jäger 24)
    >>...und Krishnak (Ork-Schurke 19) auf Aman'Thul!
    >

    > It's useful for Bind on Pickup items. We (my usual group) follow these
    > rules:

    Your rules are close to what I've seen, too. Although, in high-level
    raid instances, the rules are different, for several reasons (there are
    lots more people; the raids take multiple hours to complete, and people
    want things to move along efficiently; people are *very* invested in the
    particular things they are trying to get, to the tune of many many hours
    of effort and big piles of gold in expenses; and so on).

    > 1. Bind on Equip items: All roll, sort it out later
    > 2. Bind on Pickup: ALL PASS! State need or greed. If only 1 needs, then it's
    > theirs, otherwise roll off between the needy. If no-one needs, all roll for
    > greed.

    Raid rules are many times different from this. I've seen various
    schemes, but generally they are intended to make things fast without
    pissing people off. With a lot of people in a long instance run, n/g
    looting is often seen as too time-consuming.

    > 3. Need = Better than current kit, and will be used. Dis-enchanting is Greed

    That's what I'm used to, where "will be used" means you are going to
    equip and use it *right now*. Otherwise, it's greed.

    > 4. Classes have 1st dibs on class specific items

    Yes, though I have seen some rather dumb controversies over exactly what
    the words "class specific" mean. You can argue that it means sets like
    Valor and Magister's; on the other hand, I've seen people argue in all
    apparent sincerity that a cloth-wearer should not be allowed to roll on
    a cloak that has a stamina buff.

    > 1. Bind on Equip items: All roll, sort it out later
    > 2. Bind on Pickup: ALL PASS! State need or greed. If only 1 needs, then
    > it's theirs, otherwise roll off between the needy. If no-one needs, all
    > roll for greed.
    > 3. Need = Better than current kit, and will be used. Dis-enchanting is
    > Greed
    > 4. Classes have 1st dibs on class specific items
    >
    > I have a macro that I can spam out the rules with, and use it when the
    > group forms, and usually before the 1st loot boss, if I know it's coming.
    > It stops arguments happening about rolling 'after' the item has been won
    > and soulbound. Also, people need reminding when that lovely purple item
    > drops, and the players get the 'purple haze'. :-)

    Oh, and I forgot one rule: "No looting in Combat." Not only is it rude to be
    looting and not helping, it's distracting.

    On 2005-06-23 09:51:21 +0200, "Daniel Bleisteiner" <news@da3x.de> said:

    > Recently I've played my first dungeon with four other players I've
    > never met before. I had to learn to use n and nn depending on the
    > items to roll. As far as I understood "n" stands for "need" and "nn"
    > for "need not" - right?
    >
    > What's this useful for? If someone wants a certain item he/she can
    > simply roll the dice. Players not interested in it cancel the roll.
    > Why should I type n or nn instead?
    >
    > I know it might be useful to clarify some things before going into
    > battle... for example that all wool is for X and all diamonds are for Y.
    >
    > But what's that part with n and nn useful for?

    For starters I think nn is confusing, and we tend to use 'g', which
    means 'greed'. This explains the reason for typing a bit. Fact is noone
    rolls if they don't need, but after a while, a lot of items may drop
    that noone needs. In that case you can do a greed roll, where the
    highest rolls gets the item for the purpose of
    selling/auctioning/disenchanting it.

    In our guild we use the following rules:
    - Bind on Equip: Everybody rolls *always* and if someone needs the
    item, we trade it after the roll.
    - Bind on Pickup: Everybody states n or g. All the n's roll. If noone
    needs, everyone rolls.

    On Guild Raids we use Master Looter.
    --
    http://www.new-roots.com/
    Nerghal - Undead Warlock lvl 55 - Bloodscalp EU

    On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:23:09 +0200, <maxnews01@web.de> wrote:
    > u post n for need and g for "greed" i think...
    > u post it, cause if all dont need (so "g") all roll... if u just pass
    > roll (and all do) the first looter gets it...

    So the only use is to roll for it if nobody really needs it. If one needs
    it he/she could simply roll for it... there is no need to say "n". And
    what the hell is wrong if the looter gets it if nobody else wants it? I
    still don't see any use for that chatting so far. I'd really prefer to
    simply roll or pass.

    --
    Daniel Bleisteiner
    ....spielt WoW mit Mirandir (Dunkelelf-Jäger 24)
    ....und Krishnak (Ork-Schurke 19) auf Aman'Thul!

    On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 09:51:21 +0200, "Daniel Bleisteiner"
    <news@da3x.de> wrote:

    >Recently I've played my first dungeon with four other players I've never
    >met before. I had to learn to use n and nn depending on the items to roll.
    >As far as I understood "n" stands for "need" and "nn" for "need not" -
    >right?

    Right, even though I've never seen "nn" being used before - we always
    use "g" (greed) or "v" (vendor). That way you can go "nn" or "gg" if
    several eg. two items drop at the same time.

    >What's this useful for? If someone wants a certain item he/she can simply
    >roll the dice. Players not interested in it cancel the roll. Why should I
    >type n or nn instead?

    Some times you wind up with players going "if he doesn't want, then I
    could use it", that thing is hard to do with the roll/pass mechanic.
    But mostly it is just because everybody know that system...

    Of course, if you can think up a better system, then feel free to
    suggest it to those you play with. I used to use the "roll if you
    need, pass if you don't - all pass = do /roll for greed roll", but
    then everybody started using the n/g system and it was just easier to
    go with that instead of trying to convince everybody else.

    Then after I got to the higher levels and started to raid BRS, Scholo,
    and Strat the rules changed to "all pass on blue and BoP, then we talk
    about it" - for green BoE it is either all roll or the group loot
    threshold is simply set to blue so you just pick green items up (it is
    faster + if you need you can just ask for it).

    --
    Regards
    Simon Nejmann

    On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:33:12 +0200, Babe Bridou <babebridou@hotmail.com>
    wrote:
    > When a roll window appears, those who need it type "n" so that those
    > who greed it can have the opportunity to pass. "nn" is generally used
    > when two roll windows appear, to inform others that you need both.

    That are some more bits of information... ok... but why can't those
    vendors not simply pass after seeing that others have rolled? You can
    allways see if someone rolls or passes and decide after some seconds of
    waiting. I still find it rather complicated to leave my mouse and hit the
    chat keys.

    --

    In article <op.sstegegomcs9m0@phoenix>, Daniel Bleisteiner
    <news@da3x.de> wrote:

    > On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:33:12 +0200, Babe Bridou <babebridou@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    > > When a roll window appears, those who need it type "n" so that those
    > > who greed it can have the opportunity to pass. "nn" is generally used
    > > when two roll windows appear, to inform others that you need both.
    >
    > That are some more bits of information... ok... but why can't those
    > vendors not simply pass after seeing that others have rolled? You can
    > allways see if someone rolls or passes and decide after some seconds of
    > waiting. I still find it rather complicated to leave my mouse and hit the
    > chat keys.

    Oh come on - you must use other keys all the time! And surely you must
    talk to your party as well.. what's complicated about hitting 'Enter G
    Enter'?

    If everyone does it smoothly, then *no-one* has to "decide after some
    seconds of waiting" - you just watch for 5 'g's to appear in the log,
    and then hit the dice icon. Simple. If even a single 'n' appears, you
    hit the pass icon. what could be more easy?

    Since *everyone* can use *every* item (by selling it), this system
    avoids people having to miss out on profit that the rest of the party
    who do roll will get anyway.

    ___
    Neil
    aka HighVis

    Daniel Bleisteiner wrote:
    > Recently I've played my first dungeon with four other players I've
    > never met before. I had to learn to use n and nn depending on the items
    > to roll. As far as I understood "n" stands for "need" and "nn" for
    > "need not" - right?
    >
    > What's this useful for? If someone wants a certain item he/she can
    > simply roll the dice. Players not interested in it cancel the roll. Why
    > should I type n or nn instead?
    >
    > I know it might be useful to clarify some things before going into
    > battle... for example that all wool is for X and all diamonds are for Y.
    >
    > But what's that part with n and nn useful for?

    We use "N" ( need ) and "V" ( vend ).
    I verybody types "V" you just roll.

    Sometimes we agree to just all roll on anything that isn't bop ( Bind on
    pickup ) and use n/v on items that are bop.

    And then again sometimes you will use the term "Ninja".

    Daniel Bleisteiner wrote:
    > On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:33:12 +0200, Babe Bridou
    > <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> When a roll window appears, those who need it type "n" so that those
    >> who greed it can have the opportunity to pass. "nn" is generally used
    >> when two roll windows appear, to inform others that you need both.
    >

    > That are some more bits of information... ok... but why can't those
    > vendors not simply pass after seeing that others have rolled? You can
    > allways see if someone rolls or passes and decide after some seconds of
    > waiting. I still find it rather complicated to leave my mouse and hit
    > the chat keys.

    It really works better if everyone types n or v or whatever before they
    roll. That way you can see who's a ninja. I everyone says "v" you all r
    oll. If someone says N, you either roll if you need it as well, or pass.

    Another rule I like to request is that no one loots any corpse untill
    the fight is over. Then you will have enough time to type.
    Plus it's really annoying when the roll window appears over my bars in
    combat.

    "Azeus" <IFARTINYOURGENERALDIRECTION@MP.com> wrote in message
    > Daniel Bleisteiner wrote:
    >> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:33:12 +0200, Babe Bridou <babebridou@hotmail.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> When a roll window appears, those who need it type "n" so that those
    >>> who greed it can have the opportunity to pass. "nn" is generally used
    >>> when two roll windows appear, to inform others that you need both.
    >>

    >> That are some more bits of information... ok... but why can't those
    >> vendors not simply pass after seeing that others have rolled? You can
    >> allways see if someone rolls or passes and decide after some seconds of
    >> waiting. I still find it rather complicated to leave my mouse and hit the
    >> chat keys.
    >>

    > It really works better if everyone types n or v or whatever before they
    > roll. That way you can see who's a ninja. I everyone says "v" you all r
    > oll. If someone says N, you either roll if you need it as well, or pass.
    >
    > Another rule I like to request is that no one loots any corpse untill the
    > fight is over. Then you will have enough time to type.
    > Plus it's really annoying when the roll window appears over my bars in
    > combat.

    V?

    I understand g but v?

    v - verilly I want this?

    On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:34:46 +0200, "Daniel Bleisteiner"
    <news@da3x.de> wrote:

    >On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:23:09 +0200, <maxnews01@web.de> wrote:

    >>if u just pass
    >> roll (and all do) the first looter gets it...

    No, this is not correct. If everybody passes it stays on the corpse
    and anybody in the group can loot it - at least that is how it works
    in group loot.

    >So the only use is to roll for it if nobody really needs it. If one needs
    >it he/she could simply roll for it... there is no need to say "n". And
    >what the hell is wrong if the looter gets it if nobody else wants it?

    In group loot, if a corpse has an item at or above the loot threshold,
    everybody in the group can loot it - only the one whose turn it is can
    grab the trash on the mob, but everybody else can loot in order to pop
    up the roll/pass box (and grab any money which then gets split).

    If anybody rolls, the winner gets the item awarded into his/her
    inventory, if nobody rolls the item stays on the corpse (and it really
    wouldn't be fair to just award it to the first to loot the corpse,
    since everybody can and it then would turn into one big ninja-fest).

    Lastly, imagine if nobody needs 80% of the items that drop (not
    uncommon later on) - what you need then is a method that speeds up the
    "all pass" situation, and typing n/g then rolling if appropriate is
    pretty fast for that.
    But again, if you can find a better way then feel free to do so - most
    don't care about the method, they just want their loot fair and
    fast...

    --
    Regards
    Simon Nejmann

    On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:51:58 +0200, Azeus
    <IFARTINYOURGENERALDIRECTION@MP.com> wrote:
    > It really works better if everyone types n or v or whatever before they
    > roll. That way you can see who's a ninja. I everyone says "v" you all r
    > oll. If someone says N, you either roll if you need it as well, or pass.

    So it's primarily to separate the needs from the greeds... need has a
    higher priority and should be allowed to complete though. Ok, I got it.

    And of course the corpses will be lootet only if no other enemy is still
    alive. If someone ignores that rule he/she is propably allready identified
    as ninja looter :)

    Thanks to all for those infos. I think I finally see some sense in it.

    --
    Daniel Bleisteiner
    ....spielt WoW mit Mirandir (Dunkelelf-Jäger 24)
    ....und Krishnak (Ork-Schurke 19) auf Aman'Thul!

    Ah gotcha, so it's just a stupid codification. Just because a warrior
    "can" use cloth shouldn't mean they should get cloth armor. They
    should have implemented it better, that's just stupid coding.
    I mean, NBG can be complicated or impossible to code to cover every
    single item, like the sword you mentioned which is obviously a caster
    item (didn't know mages could learn 1handed sword). But it could be
    better implemented: cloth goes to casters, leather goes to
    rogues/druids/shaman (until shaman gets mail), mail goes to
    warriors/paladins/shaman (after shaman gets mail).
    A little more complicated on ranged weapons, as many classes can use
    them, although it's only a primary weapon for hunters.

    Now I see why NBG in WoW must be done manually.

    On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:51:58 +0200, Azeus
    <IFARTINYOURGENERALDIRECTION@MP.com> wrote:

    >Another rule I like to request is that no one loots any corpse untill
    >the fight is over. Then you will have enough time to type.
    >Plus it's really annoying when the roll window appears over my bars in
    >combat.

    Oh yes, people who loot in combat... >:(

    Sometimes it happens by accident and you just have to accept that, but
    if people makes a habit of it they deserve a /slap.

    There is an extra loot rule; if a box pops up in combat you _pass_ and
    sort it out later.

    --
    Regards
    Simon Nejmann

    Simon Nejmann ytrede sig i <e0vkb194s549apg1ljp1ec1ttsho4j4pdg@4ax.com>
    med dette:

    >On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:51:58 +0200, Azeus
    ><IFARTINYOURGENERALDIRECTION@MP.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Another rule I like to request is that no one loots any corpse untill
    >>the fight is over. Then you will have enough time to type.
    >>Plus it's really annoying when the roll window appears over my bars in
    >>combat.
    >
    >Oh yes, people who loot in combat... >:(
    >
    >Sometimes it happens by accident and you just have to accept that, but
    >if people makes a habit of it they deserve a /slap.
    >
    >There is an extra loot rule; if a box pops up in combat you _pass_ and
    >sort it out later.

    I usually say from the start, that I roll on anything if it's during
    combat.

    In my guild it's quite normal for all to roll on BoE, and then sort it
    out later, because it works much faster this way.

    For BoP it's the usual n or g.

    It does give some problems when picking up one or two randoms for an
    instance, if they don't like our way, but it's pretty rare.
    --
    Allan Stig Kiilerich Frederiksen
    "When you try to change a mans paradigm, you must keep in mind that he

    Kav wrote:
    > "Azeus" <IFARTINYOURGENERALDIRECTION@MP.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Daniel Bleisteiner wrote:

    >>>That are some more bits of information... ok... but why can't those
    >>>vendors not simply pass after seeing that others have rolled? You can
    >>>allways see if someone rolls or passes and decide after some seconds of
    >>>waiting. I still find it rather complicated to leave my mouse and hit the
    >>>chat keys.
    >>>

    >>It really works better if everyone types n or v or whatever before they
    >>roll. That way you can see who's a ninja. I everyone says "v" you all r
    >>oll. If someone says N, you either roll if you need it as well, or pass.
    >>
    >>Another rule I like to request is that no one loots any corpse untill the
    >>fight is over. Then you will have enough time to type.
    >>Plus it's really annoying when the roll window appears over my bars in
    >>combat.
    >

    > V?
    >
    > I understand g but v?
    >
    > v - verilly I want this?

    v=g

    Vant to sell :)..
    on my server people use the v for vendor trash.

    Okay n is for need; nn is for need both; v is for vendor, what is the d; r ;
    R and ooo for? If two items drop and I only need the second one but my alt
    can use the first one, is the n cubed or should I just calculate the square
    root? confused yet? Just use the built in roll rules, let the whiners
    whine about not getting an item. Everything else is just nonsense.

    Noal McDonald wrote:
    >>>1. Bind on Equip items: All roll, sort it out later
    >>>2. Bind on Pickup: ALL PASS! State need or greed. If only 1 needs, then it's
    >>>theirs, otherwise roll off between the needy. If no-one needs, all roll for
    >>>greed.
    >>
    >>Raid rules are many times different from this.
    >

    > Not by much.

    I've seen some other rules in repeated use.

    > Everyone gets one blue, one set item and one quest item (Pristine Hide,
    > Frayed Abomination Stitching, etc.). (sometimes it's one blue or one
    > set item.) Green BoPs count as blues for this purpose. Once you've got
    > your quota, you don't roll dice anymore.
    > Everyone rolls on all green BoEs.

    I've seen systems in which no one except the raid leader ever rolls.
    I've seen systems in which all greens, regardless of whether they are
    BOP, are looted by the current person in round-robin (with a different
    rule in effect for bosses). Both were meant to make things go faster,
    which they did.

    > If everybody passes, everyone uses /random to determine the winner.
    > Once that's done, the winner loots, someone else loots and DEs for
    > them, or (rarely) someone offers to buy the item from the winner.

    Yes, this is common, but I've also seen rules under which no one ever
    uses /random, on the grounds that it takes too long. For example, it's
    faster for the raid leader to consult a loot order randomly determined
    once at the beginning than to wait for everyone to /random every time
    anything interesting comes up.

    No doubt people will have objections, but I've noticed that in raids
    people are more interested in finding out what the loot rules are going
    to be than in pushing for their favorite ones. I think it's difficult
    enough to arrange for a raid in the first place, and loot fights take so
    much of the fun out of the game, that people tend to be willing to
    accept even loot rules they don't like as long as it gets things under way.

    wolfing wrote:
    > I don't understand, what's wrong with that? I'd rather have that than
    > just random on all greens, mages don't get the swords and warriors
    > don't get the wands, what's the problem?

    Well, for example, if you just use need before greed and roll on
    everything, warriors take cloth items, and that makes priests and mages
    unhappy. So people tend not to do that.

    On 2005-06-23 15:03:35 +0200, "wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> said:

    > Why not just use the 'Need before greed' loot option from the game?

    Because it isn't really 'need before greed' but 'can use before greed'...
    --
    http://www.new-roots.com/
    Nerghal - Undead Warlock lvl 55 - Bloodscalp EU
    Gwar - Orcish Warrior lvl 10 - Bloodscalp EU
    Chasey - Undead Priest lvl 19 - Bloodscalp EU

    *annoyed vent switch turned ON"

    Why can't people that have played this game for many hundreds of hours (I'm
    talking about lvl 60's for the most part) figure out *commonly accepted*
    loot procedures, and thus remove any NEED to even discuss it any more?

    I would say this is becoming the #1 benefit for being in a guild. Our loot
    rules (which are 95% the same as anyone elses, by the way) are written down,
    posted on a website, and everyone is expected to know them. Thus, we rarely
    have to mention them when going on raids. Oh the joy.

    Here they are: If an item says "Bind on Equip" ROLL (that means YOU,
    everyone, regardless of WHAT it is). If an item is "Bind on Pickup" WAIT,
    THINK, DISCUSS. The only exceptions are certain class specific items and
    item sets, which everyone knows about anyway. Could it be any simpler?

    The problem is, there are STILL TONS of lvl 60 ppl that act like they have
    never grouped with anyone before and actually try to say they "didn't know I
    can't roll on a BoP item, sorry" with a straight face.

    It just amazes me that even after having run LBRS/UBRS/Scholo/Strath/MC a
    combination of greater than 150X at least, that loot rules still are brought
    up without fail, and there is almost always some discussion about them.

    *annoyed vent switch turned OFF*

    On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:13:01 +0200, Azeus said:

    > Kav wrote:
    >> "Azeus" <IFARTINYOURGENERALDIRECTION@MP.com> wrote in message

    >>>It really works better if everyone types n or v or whatever before they
    >>>roll. That way you can see who's a ninja. I everyone says "v" you all r
    >>>oll. If someone says N, you either roll if you need it as well, or pass.
    >>>
    >>>Another rule I like to request is that no one loots any corpse untill the
    >>>fight is over. Then you will have enough time to type.
    >>>Plus it's really annoying when the roll window appears over my bars in
    >>>combat.
    >>
    >> V?
    >>
    >> I understand g but v?
    >>
    >> v - verilly I want this?
    >>

    > v=g
    >
    > Vant to sell :)..
    > on my server people use the v for vendor trash.

    lol - ok

    I was going to come back with

    V = "Vis, I really cannot be using"

    On 23 Jun 2005 09:16:51 -0700, "wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I don't understand, what's wrong with that? I'd rather have that than
    >just random on all greens, mages don't get the swords and warriors
    >don't get the wands, what's the problem?

    Actually under Blizzard's NbG rules mages do get the swords...

    The problem is that warriors get everything but wands - warriors can
    equip cloth if they want, you know.
    While mages for example miss out on; leather, mail, plate, axes, guns,
    bows, crossbows, fist weapons, maces, polearms, thrown weapons,
    two-handed axes, two-handed swords, and two-handed maces.

    And now that we are at swords, how about this one - mage or warrior
    weapon?

    Inventor's Focal Sword
    Binds when picked up
    One-Hand Sword
    54 - 101 Damage Speed 2.20
    (35.2 damage per second)
    +6 Intellect
    Durability 90 / 90
    Requires Level 48
    Equip: Improves your chance to get a critical strike with spells by
    1%.

    --
    Regards
    Simon Nejmann

    wolfing wrote:
    > Ah gotcha, so it's just a stupid codification. Just because a warrior
    > "can" use cloth shouldn't mean they should get cloth armor. They
    > should have implemented it better, that's just stupid coding.
    > I mean, NBG can be complicated or impossible to code to cover every
    > single item, like the sword you mentioned which is obviously a caster
    > item (didn't know mages could learn 1handed sword). But it could be
    > better implemented: cloth goes to casters, leather goes to
    > rogues/druids/shaman (until shaman gets mail), mail goes to
    > warriors/paladins/shaman (after shaman gets mail).

    It's a little more complicated then that because characters can have a
    very reasonable case for getting armor that is lighter then their best
    possible type. While warriors would be nuts to ditch plate, classes
    that try to avoid melee combat (Ranged DPS and healers basically) often
    have a very legitimate case for getting lighter armor pieces that help
    their role. For example, its quite reasonable for healer-specced
    paladins, druids, and shamans to take weaker armor with good +Int or
    caster bonuses, since it can be hard to get the right bonuses on plate
    or mail. Hunters as well can use leather pieces which augment their
    ranged capabilities.

    mikel ytrede sig i <RRvue.2960$Bx6.2905@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com> med
    dette:

    >Alex wrote:
    [snip]
    >> 3. Need = Better than current kit, and will be used. Dis-enchanting is Greed
    >
    >That's what I'm used to, where "will be used" means you are going to
    >equip and use it *right now*. Otherwise, it's greed.

    I can find a lot of situations where it wouldn't benefit the group if I
    switched to use the items. I got items with +healing, and I'm healing a
    lot in instances, but I don't use them for soloing. Same with weapons,
    for instances I always use 1h + shield, while I often switch to 2h when
    soloing (depending on the mobs).

    I don't mind equiping the items, so the party can see I don't intend to
    put it on AH, but demanding that I use it for the rest of the time I'm
    in the group is just plain stupidity.

    >> 4. Classes have 1st dibs on class specific items
    >
    >Yes, though I have seen some rather dumb controversies over exactly what
    >the words "class specific" mean. You can argue that it means sets like
    >Valor and Magister's; on the other hand, I've seen people argue in all
    >apparent sincerity that a cloth-wearer should not be allowed to roll on
    >a cloak that has a stamina buff.

    The hybrid classes are having the worst time, if it's a melee item, it's
    for hunters, warriors or rogues, if it's a caster item it's for warlock,
    mage and priest.

    Especially Shamans are having problems with peoples prejudices against
    the class, since casters think of us as a mainly melee class, because we
    got mail armor, and melee classes think of us as casters, because of our
    damage spells.
    --

    ASKF wrote:
    > mikel ytrede sig i <RRvue.2960$Bx6.2905@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com> med
    > dette:
    >

    >>Alex wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    >>>3. Need = Better than current kit, and will be used. Dis-enchanting is Greed
    >>
    >>That's what I'm used to, where "will be used" means you are going to
    >>equip and use it *right now*. Otherwise, it's greed.
    >

    > I can find a lot of situations where it wouldn't benefit the group if I
    > switched to use the items. I got items with +healing, and I'm healing a
    > lot in instances, but I don't use them for soloing. Same with weapons,
    > for instances I always use 1h + shield, while I often switch to 2h when
    > soloing (depending on the mobs).
    >
    > I don't mind equiping the items, so the party can see I don't intend to
    > put it on AH, but demanding that I use it for the rest of the time I'm
    > in the group is just plain stupidity.

    It's arguably stupid, and certainly simplistic, but it creates a clear
    and unambiguous definition of "need". Some people exploit ambiguities in
    impolite ways; others adapt to that by making (arguably stupid) rules
    that remove the ambiguities. This is true in a wider world than just in
    WoW :-).

    For my own purposes most discussion of looting rules is academic; I
    don't care very much what the rules are because I don't get most of my
    fun out of obtaining uber loot, and farming generates enough money and
    items to keep me happy. All I really care about (and I've seen this
    attitude in lots of other people) is that the rules be clear and well
    understood so we don't get any stupid loot fights.

    >>>4. Classes have 1st dibs on class specific items
    >>
    >>Yes, though I have seen some rather dumb controversies over exactly what
    >>the words "class specific" mean. You can argue that it means sets like
    >>Valor and Magister's; on the other hand, I've seen people argue in all
    >>apparent sincerity that a cloth-wearer should not be allowed to roll on
    >>a cloak that has a stamina buff.
    >

    > The hybrid classes are having the worst time, if it's a melee item, it's
    > for hunters, warriors or rogues, if it's a caster item it's for warlock,
    > mage and priest.
    >
    > Especially Shamans are having problems with peoples prejudices against
    > the class, since casters think of us as a mainly melee class, because we
    > got mail armor, and melee classes think of us as casters, because of our
    > damage spells.

    Yes. Druids, shamans, and to a lesser extent hunters suffer some from
    this kind of stuff. It does bleed over onto other classes, though; for
    example, high intelligence and stamina is a solid strategy for mages and
    warlocks (I grouped with a warlock once who had the most hit points in
    the party -- this might seem crazy until you consider spells like
    Hellfire), but as I say I have seen a bitter argument break out over
    whether a spellcaster should be allowed to roll on a stamina buff.

    On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 18:04:47 GMT, "Mike in Mystic"
    <sandiedadog@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Our loot
    >rules (which are 95% the same as anyone elses, by the way) are written down,
    >posted on a website, and everyone is expected to know them. Thus, we rarely
    >have to mention them when going on raids. Oh the joy.

    Good idea.

    >Here they are: If an item says "Bind on Equip" ROLL (that means YOU,
    >everyone, regardless of WHAT it is).

    Even on blue and better items?
    Eg. on a resent LBRS raid Glowing Brightwood Staff dropped - it is
    BoE, but also a OMG!! item for most casters - mage won it btw. (Why
    not meeee :( *snif*)

    As a side note, that was a rather amazing raid loot-wise - we got 2
    hunter set items, 1 warlock, 1 mage, 1 druid, 1 shaman, Annihilator
    plans, and the aforementioned Glowing Brightwood Staff. :)

    >If an item is "Bind on Pickup" WAIT,
    >THINK, DISCUSS. The only exceptions are certain class specific items and
    >item sets, which everyone knows about anyway. Could it be any simpler?

    Ours just say: "Pass on BoP and blue+" which amounts to about the same
    as yours - in fact we often set looting threshold to blue...

    --
    Regards
    Simon Nejmann

    mikel ytrede sig i <oEDue.3059$Bx6.1542@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com> med
    dette:

    >ASKF wrote:
    [snip]
    >For my own purposes most discussion of looting rules is academic; I
    >don't care very much what the rules are because I don't get most of my
    >fun out of obtaining uber loot, and farming generates enough money and
    >items to keep me happy. All I really care about (and I've seen this
    >attitude in lots of other people) is that the rules be clear and well
    >understood so we don't get any stupid loot fights.

    We got the same view on the stuff, I see.

    I have often been nice, and passed on stuff that I knew other people
    wanted, even though I could use it myself. Especially when it would only
    be a minor upgrade for me, while it could be a major upgrade for the
    other. Because of this I rarely have any problems getting someone to
    help me when I need it, and when grouping with them, they often tell the
    others to pass on things they know I need.

    >>>Yes, though I have seen some rather dumb controversies over exactly what
    >>>the words "class specific" mean. You can argue that it means sets like
    >>>Valor and Magister's; on the other hand, I've seen people argue in all
    >>>apparent sincerity that a cloth-wearer should not be allowed to roll on
    >>>a cloak that has a stamina buff.
    >>

    >> The hybrid classes are having the worst time, if it's a melee item, it's
    >> for hunters, warriors or rogues, if it's a caster item it's for warlock,
    >> mage and priest.
    >>
    >> Especially Shamans are having problems with peoples prejudices against
    >> the class, since casters think of us as a mainly melee class, because we
    >> got mail armor, and melee classes think of us as casters, because of our
    >> damage spells.
    >
    >Yes. Druids, shamans, and to a lesser extent hunters suffer some from
    >this kind of stuff. It does bleed over onto other classes, though; for
    >example, high intelligence and stamina is a solid strategy for mages and
    >warlocks (I grouped with a warlock once who had the most hit points in
    >the party -- this might seem crazy until you consider spells like
    >Hellfire), but as I say I have seen a bitter argument break out over
    >whether a spellcaster should be allowed to roll on a stamina buff.

    It's funny in a sad way, because every class can use and benifit from
    +stam. Most casters even have a priority like this:
    int/stam/spirit/agi/str.

    A +stam add more relative health to a caster, than to a warrior, and
    that can be just as good an argument as any.

    A warrior friend of mine are saying that he needs +int items, because it
    helps him to raise his weapon and defence skill faster...
    --

    wolfing wrote:
    > Why not just use the 'Need before greed' loot option from the game?

    Because it's completely useless.

    Cheers!
    David...

    Simon Nejmann wrote:
    > On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 18:04:47 GMT, "Mike in Mystic"
    > <sandiedadog@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>Here they are: If an item says "Bind on Equip" ROLL (that means YOU,
    >>everyone, regardless of WHAT it is).
    >
    > Even on blue and better items?
    > Eg. on a resent LBRS raid Glowing Brightwood Staff dropped - it is
    > BoE, but also a OMG!! item for most casters - mage won it btw. (Why
    > not meeee :( *snif*)

    Yes. It's a controversial position, but I think everyone should always
    roll on BoE epics, for two reasons:

    #1 - these items are "OMG!!" items for _everyone_, because they can be
    sold in the AH for many hundreds of gold. In fact I'd venture to say
    that the average Warrior would see more benefit from winning a
    Brightwood, selling it, and buying assorted upgrades, than a Mage would
    from winning it and equipping it.

    #2 - if you only allow "need" rolls, you are absolutely 100% guaranteed
    to have a shitfight about who _really_ "needs" it. Most likely with pure
    classes demanding that hybrids not be allowed to roll. It's really not
    worth the pain.

    Cheers!
    David...

    On 23 Jun 2005 08:32:02 -0700, Noal McDonald <dharzhak@my-deja.com> wrote:

    > Which explains why I've never seen it on Stormrage. :-D

    I'm on Stormrage too, and I've found the n/g system is becoming
    quite common in groups I've been in lately.

    --
    Zil, 54 Night Elf Priest
    Mustrum, 60 Gnome Mage

    On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:38:01 +0200, Simon Nejmann wrote:

    > Then after I got to the higher levels and started to raid BRS, Scholo,
    > and Strat the rules changed to "all pass on blue and BoP, then we talk
    > about it"

    The systems used probably vary from server to server. On Khaz'goroth, in
    the end-game dungeons, greens are always free for all (meaning everyone can
    roll) unless someone says "need" (then they get it even after the roll),
    for set items only the appropriate classes roll, others pass (if nobody
    needs it, there'll be a random call), blue BoPs are "everyone who doesn't
    need it passes, if all pass then random", same for BoE blues. and epic
    drops outside of MC/Onyxia/Kazzak are for those who can use them (not AH),
    or FFA if nobody will use it. Class-specific epics are only for the
    appropriate classes. Recipes and pattern are rolled for by those who have
    the profession. Chests are also a random roll.

    M.
    --
    ClamWin, an open source antivirus software for Windows:
    http://www.clamwin.com/

    On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:09:47 -0700, Brian wrote:

    > That said, most of the level 60 runs I've been on end up using ML. It's a
    > lot smoother than Group Loot,

    On my server, most people will refuse to play with Master Loot. It's too
    buggy: The Lootmaster can take items without anyone seeing what they took.

    M.
    --

    On 23 Jun 2005 08:57:31 -0700, Noal McDonald wrote:

    > Everyone gets one blue, one set item and one quest item (Pristine Hide,
    > Frayed Abomination Stitching, etc.). (sometimes it's one blue or one
    > set item.) Green BoPs count as blues for this purpose. Once you've got
    > your quota, you don't roll dice anymore.

    Never seen that system, and would personal not enjoy it, since it requires
    too much attention. :) UBRS runs and such get boring after you have done
    many dozens, and I usually don't keep track of what I won. I pay attention
    not to roll on anything that anyone else needs, and that's it.

    M.
    --

    On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:23:34 -0700, Brian wrote:

    > Every instance I've ever run with more than 5 people was run on Master
    > Loot.

    I honestly have never seen Master Loot being used, and whenever the
    suggestion came up, everyone was vehemmently against it. As I said, it's
    bugged ... the lootmaster can take things for himself and it won't show on
    anybody's screen. That's how ninjas operate. I'd also never play in a party
    with ML, but never faced the situation where I was expected to, either.

    Interesting how different server communities use completely different
    rulesets.

    M.
    --

    On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 18:04:47 GMT, Mike in Mystic wrote:

    > Here they are: If an item says "Bind on Equip" ROLL (that means YOU,
    > everyone, regardless of WHAT it is). If an item is "Bind on Pickup" WAIT,
    > THINK, DISCUSS. The only exceptions are certain class specific items and
    > item sets, which everyone knows about anyway. Could it be any simpler?

    Not all set items are BoP. That's why it can't be quite as simple as
    "regardless of what it is". :)

    M.
    --

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 08:35:12 +1000, David Carson wrote:

    > #1 - these items are "OMG!!" items for _everyone_, because they can be
    > sold in the AH for many hundreds of gold. In fact I'd venture to say
    > that the average Warrior would see more benefit from winning a
    > Brightwood, selling it, and buying assorted upgrades, than a Mage would
    > from winning it and equipping it.

    Well, yes, that's controversial. I have passed on epic plate leggins, on
    epic plate shoulders, on an epic sword, and on the dwarven hand cannon.
    Yes, I'd expect a fighter type to pass on a brightwood staff if I didn't
    already have one. (I bought mine.) All the epics I have seen drop went to
    someone else, and I don't find it unfair.

    M.
    --

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 12:56:28 -0700, Brian wrote:

    > This is false. If you watch the chat log, you will *always* see every item
    > that's looted, even it the ML tries to take it without saying anything.

    We tested it. There is a way for the Master Looter to take items without
    anyone (except himself) seeing it in the chat log. I won't post the
    details, but it works and it's not that secret. Hence why I won't play in a
    group with ML. Or anyone else on my server, for that matter.

    M.

    Daniel Bleisteiner wrote:
    > On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:23:09 +0200, <maxnews01@web.de> wrote:
    >> u post n for need and g for "greed" i think...
    >> u post it, cause if all dont need (so "g") all roll... if u just pass
    >> roll (and all do) the first looter gets it...
    >
    > So the only use is to roll for it if nobody really needs it. If one
    > needs it he/she could simply roll for it... there is no need to say
    > "n". And what the hell is wrong if the looter gets it if nobody else
    > wants it? I still don't see any use for that chatting so far. I'd
    > really prefer to simply roll or pass.

    Becuase if everyone says 'g' then everyone rolls. What if everyone passes?

    --
    www.pickuptruckracing.com - UK's closest race series
    Spotter for the PWR truck #9

    "Simon Nejmann" <snejmann@worldonline.dk> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:51:58 +0200, Azeus
    > <IFARTINYOURGENERALDIRECTION@MP.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Another rule I like to request is that no one loots any corpse untill
    >>the fight is over. Then you will have enough time to type.
    >>Plus it's really annoying when the roll window appears over my bars in
    >>combat.
    >
    > Oh yes, people who loot in combat... >:(
    >
    > Sometimes it happens by accident and you just have to accept that, but
    > if people makes a habit of it they deserve a /slap.
    >
    > There is an extra loot rule; if a box pops up in combat you _pass_ and
    > sort it out later.

    I sometimes loot smaller mobs (not bosses) while I'm waiting for mana/health, or
    someone just pulled the mob off my fragile little mage body so I can't attack
    anyways.

    "Jack D" <jack_221NOSP@Mhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > On 2005-06-23 09:51:21 +0200, "Daniel Bleisteiner" <news@da3x.de> said:
    > In our guild we use the following rules:
    > - Bind on Equip: Everybody rolls *always* and if someone needs the item, we
    > trade it after the roll.
    > - Bind on Pickup: Everybody states n or g. All the n's roll. If noone needs,
    > everyone rolls.

    On my guild we roll on all BOE, trade it someone needed it, and EVERYONE passes
    on BOP, then /roll if we need it, or nobody needed it. Leaves you open to the
    ninja looter (who will have their life made into hell if they do it), but also
    gives you the chance to offer the winner of the roll money/items/favors/whatever
    for it before they pick it up.

Warcraft Video Games