Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How take/make a screen-shot?

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
Share
February 2, 2012 1:20:40 PM

How do I take/make a screen-shot (an image of what is showing on the screen)? Where does it normally lay in Windows 7? How to send that picture by e-mail?

More about : make screen shot

February 2, 2012 1:33:47 PM

hit the prt/scr button in the top right hand corner of your keyboard. That puts an image of the screen on the clipboard. Then open Paint or word, or your e-mail and hit edit pasit or ctrl+v
February 2, 2012 1:35:01 PM

some keyboards actually have the full word printed on the button. Print Screen
Related resources
February 2, 2012 1:36:59 PM

Additional FYI, Alt-PrintScreen will capture just you active window just as above comment will capture whole screen.
February 2, 2012 1:42:02 PM

Or you can use the snipping tool.

Start menu->
Accessories->
Snipping Tool

This allows you to drag and drop a box so you can select what you want a screenshot of.
February 2, 2012 1:54:08 PM

sardonicjester said:
Or you can use the snipping tool.

Start menu->
Accessories->
Snipping Tool

This allows you to drag and drop a box so you can select what you want a screenshot of.



I'm at work running XP- I couldn't find a snipping tool so I'm guessing it is a Win7 or at least Vista feature.

And for the record, I have owned 5 computers running XP, plus one Vista and 2 running Win7, and NONE of them have had PrtScn functions that worked as described above. I have to resort to using Irfanview to get screenshots.
a b $ Windows 7
February 2, 2012 1:54:57 PM

as sardonicjester stated, windows 7 snipping tool. Works great, I use it often.

Aw, windows XP.
Print screen with either ctrl or alt. One does the full desktop, the other does the active window - never could remember which was which.
Then You could alway down load a freebee (just google it), But why add to programs that are installed when not needed.
February 2, 2012 2:32:29 PM

cadder said:
I'm at work running XP- I couldn't find a snipping tool so I'm guessing it is a Win7 or at least Vista feature.

And for the record, I have owned 5 computers running XP, plus one Vista and 2 running Win7, and NONE of them have had PrtScn functions that worked as described above. I have to resort to using Irfanview to get screenshots.


Print screen has worked this way for the last 17 years. It has not changed since windows 95.
a b $ Windows 7
February 2, 2012 2:43:19 PM

^ Agree, Have often used win xp print screen funtion with no problems other than remebering which is which on Cntrl vs Alt. And if a problem with win 7 snipping tool, either computer or operator problem - it works great on ALL 5 off my computers running windows 7.
February 2, 2012 2:53:12 PM

bucknutty said:
Print screen has worked this way for the last 17 years. It has not changed since windows 95.


I agree it hasn't changed- it hasn't worked on ANY of the 8 computers that I listed. I just tried it again on this WinXP computer and it doesn't work on it. I don't recall trying it on any of my Win95 or Win98 computers though.
February 2, 2012 3:00:14 PM

just a thought, by default print screen from media player will not work. you will get a black screen shot.

to make it work in media player you need to disable video overlays in the media player options.
a c 228 $ Windows 7
February 2, 2012 3:00:37 PM

RetiredChief said:
^ Agree, Have often used win xp print screen funtion with no problems other than remebering which is which on Cntrl vs Alt. And if a problem with win 7 snipping tool, either computer or operator problem - it works great on ALL 5 off my computers running windows 7.


CTRL does nothing. As stated above, "print screen" captures the whole screen. Alt-PrintScreen captures the active window.
February 2, 2012 3:07:05 PM

cadder said:
I agree it hasn't changed- it hasn't worked on ANY of the 8 computers that I listed. I just tried it again on this WinXP computer and it doesn't work on it. I don't recall trying it on any of my Win95 or Win98 computers though.


Try this. It might help.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Take-a...
a b $ Windows 7
February 2, 2012 3:12:09 PM

DarthTengil said:
How to send that picture by e-mail?


Uploaded with ImageShack.us
a b $ Windows 7
February 2, 2012 3:16:18 PM

OK you forced be to retry. I fired up an old win XP system.

Alt + Prnt screen then opend paint and did a paste - walla, there was a pitcure of an opened window (CPU-z).

Cntr + print Screen, then paste into Paint and walla entire disktop.

Note: I just finished reloading XP on this system last week. It's an old computer that I use to clone SCSI HDDs that have windows 3.11 on them. I have never had a problem with Win XP on any of the computers that I've used, and that is a GOOD number of.

On sending with email:
.. As WR2 stated if using Galdwin program, or
.. If using windows Print screen. Paste into paint (or other program) and save, then send as an attachment.

@ Hawkeye22 LOL, Your right, do not need the ctrl for the whole desktop - works ether way (just tried).

a c 228 $ Windows 7
February 2, 2012 3:17:55 PM

RetiredChief said:
OK you forced be to retry. I fired up an old win XP system.

Alt + Prnt screen then opend paint and did a paste - walla, there was a pitcure of an opened window (CPU-z).

Cntr + print Screen, then paste into Paint and walla entire disktop.

Note: I just finished reloading XP on this system last week. It's an old computer that I use to clone SCSI HDDs that have windows 3.11 on them. I have never had a problem with Win XP on any of the computers that I've used, and that is a GOOD number of.


Did you try printscreen without the ctrl - voila! ;) 
a b $ Windows 7
February 2, 2012 3:24:59 PM

^ Yes, and edited my post stating it works either way - So Ctrl = redundent key press.

I think it was I could never remember if it was Alt or Control for active window - If the left one doesn't get you the right one will.
a c 228 $ Windows 7
February 2, 2012 5:33:44 PM

^True true... I always forget if it's alt or ctrl. I usually remember when pasting does/doesn't give the desired result. ;) 
February 2, 2012 7:32:36 PM

Wow! Amazing! So many good answers, a question and half the worlds best PC brains joins :-) Well, now I know how to do it in every possible way there is! Thanks every single one of you!!
February 2, 2012 7:50:53 PM

Darth, give someone a best answer so we can all go home...
a b $ Windows 7
February 2, 2012 7:50:56 PM

I always prefer to use alt and prtScn, esp in Windows XP; It would it easier to read the information in the copied image.
!