How take/make a screen-shot?

DarthTengil

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
How do I take/make a screen-shot (an image of what is showing on the screen)? Where does it normally lay in Windows 7? How to send that picture by e-mail?

bucknutty

Distinguished
hit the prt/scr button in the top right hand corner of your keyboard. That puts an image of the screen on the clipboard. Then open Paint or word, or your e-mail and hit edit pasit or ctrl+v

sardonicjester

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Or you can use the snipping tool.

Start menu->
Accessories->
Snipping Tool

This allows you to drag and drop a box so you can select what you want a screenshot of.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008

I'm at work running XP- I couldn't find a snipping tool so I'm guessing it is a Win7 or at least Vista feature.

And for the record, I have owned 5 computers running XP, plus one Vista and 2 running Win7, and NONE of them have had PrtScn functions that worked as described above. I have to resort to using Irfanview to get screenshots.

as sardonicjester stated, windows 7 snipping tool. Works great, I use it often.

Aw, windows XP.
Print screen with either ctrl or alt. One does the full desktop, the other does the active window - never could remember which was which.
Then You could alway down load a freebee (just google it), But why add to programs that are installed when not needed.

bucknutty

Distinguished

Print screen has worked this way for the last 17 years. It has not changed since windows 95.

^ Agree, Have often used win xp print screen funtion with no problems other than remebering which is which on Cntrl vs Alt. And if a problem with win 7 snipping tool, either computer or operator problem - it works great on ALL 5 off my computers running windows 7.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008

I agree it hasn't changed- it hasn't worked on ANY of the 8 computers that I listed. I just tried it again on this WinXP computer and it doesn't work on it. I don't recall trying it on any of my Win95 or Win98 computers though.

bucknutty

Distinguished
just a thought, by default print screen from media player will not work. you will get a black screen shot.

to make it work in media player you need to disable video overlays in the media player options.

CTRL does nothing. As stated above, "print screen" captures the whole screen. Alt-PrintScreen captures the active window.

OK you forced be to retry. I fired up an old win XP system.

Alt + Prnt screen then opend paint and did a paste - walla, there was a pitcure of an opened window (CPU-z).

Cntr + print Screen, then paste into Paint and walla entire disktop.

Note: I just finished reloading XP on this system last week. It's an old computer that I use to clone SCSI HDDs that have windows 3.11 on them. I have never had a problem with Win XP on any of the computers that I've used, and that is a GOOD number of.

On sending with email:
.. As WR2 stated if using Galdwin program, or
.. If using windows Print screen. Paste into paint (or other program) and save, then send as an attachment.

@ Hawkeye22 LOL, Your right, do not need the ctrl for the whole desktop - works ether way (just tried).

Did you try printscreen without the ctrl - voila! ;)

^ Yes, and edited my post stating it works either way - So Ctrl = redundent key press.

I think it was I could never remember if it was Alt or Control for active window - If the left one doesn't get you the right one will.

DarthTengil

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Wow! Amazing! So many good answers, a question and half the worlds best PC brains joins :) Well, now I know how to do it in every possible way there is! Thanks every single one of you!!