ECC worth the cost in this server build?

dozerman

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
I'm about to throw together a server for my cousin's small business because they are a bit short on cash and can't afford an IT admin ATM. It will be storing contacts and payroll information alongside a little miscellaneous data, AutoCAD files, and some encrypted business documents. Storage will be four three terabyte HDDs in raid 5. It won't be connected to too many computers: a receptionist's computer, three or four office computers, and a couple of workstations through a switch. The data that will be stored on this server will be kept for at least half a decade and really doesn't need to be lost. Would it be worth it to go opteron/xeon and thus ECC to help protect my data, or should I go with a regular desktop build and save a few bucks?

Hi :)

If you want reliability, you build a SERVER...which will give you little choice on Ram or OS...

And they aint cheap... budget ?

Just out of interest what the dickens will they be storing to need 12 Terrabytes of HARD DRIVES ??? (The library of Congress lol ? )

All the best Brett :)

G

If you want reliability you buy a Proliant, as you're using large capacity SATA drives I would recommend RAID 6 as the rebuild times on RAID 5 SATA is nowhere near that of RAID 5 SAS. The company I work for does a lot of CAD work and very high res graphic designs and we have a 36TB SAN - less the capacity used for RAID 1 and RAID 5 LUNs so somewhere around 18-20TB usable space.

RAID is no substitution for backup so you also need to factor that in, you will likely need an LTO4 auto-changer, preferably fibre channel.

Non of this is cheap but you have to pay for reliability. Putting a Server OS on a desktop PC and expecting server performance and reliability is false economy in my opinion.

G

Can't see any reason why building or buying limits the choice of OS.

9TB not 12