Trouble with wired connection on a homebuild

bennetinc

Honorable
May 14, 2012
Hey guys, I'm back again :pt1cable:. Today my problem is that I just brought my new PC build over to my grandmothers house and I can't connect to the internet on her connection. All I did was plug her Ethernet cable into my port on the back of my motherboard. I didn't touch any other cables or settings. It seemed to recognize there was a connection but said it was public and was trying to identify it. Then, I was unable to connect to the internet. Sorry it is hard for me to give a lot of info to debug the problem because I am typing this on another computer which uses the wired connection and I can't switch back and forth. I also know it was sending data but not receiving any.
I hope this is enough information,

Thanks,

Bennet

P.S.
This may not be the most appropriate category for this thread but I got no help anywhere else and this may be a driver issue... however I doubt it and it seems like a Windows 7 issue. I am not a new windows user however I am a new windows pc owner so it might be my naivete.

Solution
Try to see if you are being given a DHCP address (I'm assuming you are being assigned one by the router). Go to command prompt, and after the cable has plugged in for a few seconds, type in "ipconfig" (i'm assuming you are running windows). And for your ethernet adapter, what does it say your address is ? If it starts with 169... then you are not being given an address from the router.

Either way, issue the commands "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew" to renew the adapter's lease.

Check on your device properties to see if you are being given the DNS address which is the same as your local router.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished
Try to see if you are being given a DHCP address (I'm assuming you are being assigned one by the router). Go to command prompt, and after the cable has plugged in for a few seconds, type in "ipconfig" (i'm assuming you are running windows). And for your ethernet adapter, what does it say your address is ? If it starts with 169... then you are not being given an address from the router.

Either way, issue the commands "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew" to renew the adapter's lease.

Check on your device properties to see if you are being given the DNS address which is the same as your local router.

Solution

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
Make sure that the ethernet router is plugged in with power on. It should recognize by your PC what's the name of the network of your grandmother, it will not ask for a password because it is wired connection.

bennetinc

Honorable
May 14, 2012
Ok to answer the obvious question "is it plugged in/is it on." Yes it's on because I am typing this on the same connection, I keep plugging in and removing the wire from computer to computer. To answer some other questions, yes my IPv4 starts with 169... and I cannot preform ipconfig /release or ipconfig /renew because "No operation can be preformed on wireless media connection while it has media disconnected," or something to that effect...

Thanks,
Bennet

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Is this cable from the modem or the router ? Does your grandmother have a router ?

If your IPv4 address starts with 169... then you haven't been assigned via DHCP a proper address. If you have a wireless adapter, either remove it or disable it for now, so you can just focus on the wired side.

if you have both wireless card and wired...if both of them are turned on.you may be connecting with a wireless card first and it looking for grandma wep key. if you dont want to use wireless at grandma just go into network adaptors and disable the wifi one you wont uninstall any of the drivers then reboot.