hotdog765

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
Problem:
I ran the benchmark tests in Just Cause 2...The framerate stays fine, between 30-60, but no matter the framerate-->runs smooth for 2 or 3 seconds, then 'hiccup,' smooth 2-3 seconds, then 'hiccup.' Again, no drop in framerate for this half-second 'hiccup.' This happens in other games (tribes, HL stuff) after awhile--is it a heating issue? They run fine at first. I'll restart the computer, and it's back to normal for awhile, then the hiccups start again eventually.

--(ASUS Radeon 6770 1GB GDDR5)--. Is this too powerful for my --(Dual Core 2.5GHz and 4GB DDR ram)-- processer? I also bought a new power supply with it: --(Apevia 500W)--

AMD and ASUS give different recommend requirements--who is more accurate? ASUS suggests 12V of 40A. I think Apevia is more like 12V of 18A?

I really don't understand power supplies. There is a 6pin PCI express wire to the video card. Which is the 12V rail? Is this a power supply problem? I only have a DVD player, Hard Drive, 20+4 and a 4pin to the motherboard and a lot of wire that I don't need...

Thanks much,

hotdog765

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
Intel E5200 Core 2 Duo

It looks like my motherboard will take a Core 2 Quad for it's G43 Express Chipset, but I wanted this upgrade to be inexpensive--just video card and power supply

I think my question might be what is the best/maximum performance video card that will run stable with my current cpu...should the cpu even matter that much? (it has 4GB of DDR 3 also)

And my new power supply (Aveia 500w) always makes a cyclical whoosh whoosh whoosh--fan is constant though--don't think that's so good. I can at least swap a better one for about the same price. thanks again

You get what you pay for when it comes to psu's.

A 6770 is a good match for that cpu. The hiccup your referring to sounds like the hardrive.

Is it nearly full? Do you regularly clean it up and defrag it? Is it 5400rpm or 7200rpm?