Do I need to upgrade my CPU before installing these parts?

Deathpawz

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
MY PC: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01564790&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=3825356#N74

So i bought a GTX 650 Ti by EVGA because my current Graphics card SUCKS, then i found out my PSU did not have enough wattage, so i bought a CX600 600w by Corsair power supply, but now i found out that the CPU i currently have will never keep up with a GTX 650 Ti. So i need to know if this is actually true, if it is what CPU would you recommend. Also, i know my PCI-E slot is 1.0 and i am not sure if my motherboard has the ability to use backwards compatibility.

PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028

GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130838

payturr

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
I wouldn't dare upgrading your CPU namely because manufacturer motherboards generally don't offer more then a few CPUs, you're better off saving your cash and building a new PC. As for your GPU, you probably will be bottled necked when it comes to gaming.

yes it is true your CPU will hold back your new GPU. The CPUs listed by HP as viable upgrades are no longer available and would still hold back the GTX650ti.

Suggestion : Install the parts while you save up for a new mobo and CPU. They should still work even with the ancient PCI-e 1.0 port. unfortunately you won't see much improvement until you ahve the new CPU and mobo.

Deathpawz

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

Ok, So they are safe to install for the time being while i save up for a new mobo and CPU?

Yes, even if it does not work due to some unknown compatibility it will not damage anything. You could just switch back your old hardware and save up for a new mobo and CPU while you use your old setup.

Deathpawz

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

Ok, thanks I've installed the parts and drivers, but now my computer goes into sleep mode or shows no signal when I'm loading windows. Does this mean the graphics card was in-compatible and I should just go back to my old set up?

Not necessarily. Are you sure the GPU is seated properly and all power plugs are in ont he motherboard AND GPU?

Try a different GPU output, it may be that you have a VGA screen and that the output you plugged it into is digital only.

Deathpawz

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

Yes everything is pluged in, I only have five things that take power, mobo, CPU, GPU, HDD, and DVD/CD drive, everything else is connected to motherboard and I havent even touched those cables, I do have a VGA monitor though, but I have a dvi to VGA converter so I don't understand how I could messed up.

Modern Grahics card usually have 2 DVI port, one is pure digital(DVI-D). This DVI port can ONLY work with a screen that has a digital display input(DVI or HDMI or DP). A simple DVI to VGA adapter will not work on these port as it does not actively convert the signal to analog, you would need an active converter to do this.

But one of the DVI port will have both a digital and analog output, so the DVI to VGA adapter will work on it.

Try the other DVI port on the graphics card. If it does not work we can figure it out.

Start at simplest solution and work your way to least likely and most complicated. (Occam's razor says the simplest answer is usually the correct one)

Deathpawz

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

I pluged it in to the dvi with analog signal because the converter doesnt even fit on the pure digital one due to not the 4 extra pins. It goes all the way till the Microsoft loading screen part, shows hp bios logo, hp logo, the Microsoft corp. and it goes to sleep mode.

Deathpawz

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Ok! So I was going through my steps as I installed it again disconnected reconnect all cables, Removed the card re-installed it, and waited... Hp bios, hp loge, microsoft corp.... Then about log in to user account screen!

Thanks for your help! :D

Also would you recommend me some good pci-e 3.0 motherboards for later knowledge of what to buy, thank you very much!

Good board at a decent price(OCs quite well too) :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293

Pleasure... Enjoy!