(Radeon 6770)-->(Dual Core 2.5) Not OK?

hotdog765

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
Problem:
I ran the benchmark tests in Just Cause 2...The framerate stays fine, between 30-60, but no matter the framerate-->runs smooth for 2 or 3 seconds, then 'hiccup,' smooth 2-3 seconds, then 'hiccup.' Again, no drop in framerate for this half-second 'hiccup.' This happens in other games (tribes, HL stuff) after awhile--is it a heating issue? They run fine at first. I'll restart the computer, and it's back to normal for awhile, then the hiccups start again eventually.

--(ASUS Radeon 6770 1GB GDDR5)--. Is this too powerful for my --(Dual Core 2.5GHz and 4GB DDR ram)-- processer? I also bought a new power supply with it: --(Apevia 500W)--

AMD and ASUS give different recommend requirements--who is more accurate? ASUS suggests 12V of 40A. I think Apevia is more like 12V of 18A?

I really don't understand power supplies. There is a 6pin PCI express wire to the video card. Which is the 12V rail? Is this a power supply problem? I only have a DVD player, Hard Drive, 20+4 and a 4pin to the motherboard and a lot of wire that I don't need...

Thanks much,

Mix of questions....
1. What mobo and CPU do you have, that you're still running DDR RAM? Is it DDR2? This brings to mind something like an Intel E5200, which should be enough.
2. Do you have any other programs running in the background that might be refreshing every few seconds?
3. What hard drive do you have? Do you have a swap file on it, and do you see drive activity during these hiccups?
If you can return the Apevia PSU-shaped object, please do so. It really isn't fit to power computer equipment; here's a review of a similar model: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Apevia-Turbolink-ATX-TL450W-BK-Power-Supply-Review/1212/9
You'll find similar review of some of their units among the oldest ones at Jonnyguru (you'll need to go all the way to the last pages of their PSU reviews); all of them were bad. Your system would run happily ever after on a 380W Antec Earthwatts or 400W Corsair CX.