Sign in with
Your question

Thinking of upgrading Phenom II 1055 to FX-8350 - worth it?

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
December 5, 2012 10:11:05 PM

The system I'm running is basically a floater system with a bunch of older parts that I have no use for and the motherboard is the Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD3. Perfectly capable of running the CPU - is it worth the switch or not? I have a Hyper 212 Evo that I just bought that's going to be used for the cooler.
a b à CPUs
December 5, 2012 10:16:01 PM

I say no, your Phenom is good, it's really not worth the money. Just focus on updating your current build.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 5, 2012 11:17:31 PM

payturr said:
I say no, your Phenom is good, it's really not worth the money. Just focus on updating your current build.

My current build is about as updated as it will get right now. :lol: 
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 5, 2012 11:19:25 PM

g-unit1111 said:
My current build is about as updated as it will get right now. :lol: 

I meant the Phenom machine xDD
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
December 6, 2012 12:40:13 AM

I went from a 1045t @3.4Ghz to a 2600k @4Ghz. < That upgrade wasn't worth it.

I would just overclock the 1055 and enjoy.

m
l
a b à CPUs
December 6, 2012 5:54:58 AM

Depends what you do with the computer.

If you are doing big video or 3d renderings, then it will finish 25% faster, which could be hours saved in some cases.

You will get higher fps in cpu limited games. 8350 has much faster single core performance.

But honestly, if it's really a spare computer it's just going to be a waste of dough. Maybe you could go nuts on overclocking?

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/147?vs=697

m
l
a b à CPUs
December 6, 2012 6:19:03 AM

I went from a Phenom II 1090t to a AMD FX-8120 and it was absolutely worth every penny. So I would think going to a AMD FX-8350 would be also. My second AMD rig is running a AMD FX-8350 and it is a great CPU in my opinion.

You will not regret going to the AMD FX-8350 not one bit.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 6, 2012 6:31:51 AM

There was something wrong with your 1090t, then.

m
l
a b à CPUs
December 6, 2012 8:22:36 AM

Realistically when it comes to gaming and daily use, the performance change is really nothing. The FX only makes a difference when it comes to things like rendering videos - in my opinion, not necessary to shell out more cash unless you absolutely have to, I think you should save up to do a total overhaul of that system if anything (replace the motherboard + CPU, RAM, etc)
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 6, 2012 5:36:45 PM

payturr said:
Realistically when it comes to gaming and daily use, the performance change is really nothing. The FX only makes a difference when it comes to things like rendering videos - in my opinion, not necessary to shell out more cash unless you absolutely have to, I think you should save up to do a total overhaul of that system if anything (replace the motherboard + CPU, RAM, etc)

Yeah I've already done that once this year. :lol: 

I really wanted to see how far I could take the FX in terms of overclocking - I'm getting into more math intensive classes so I'm going to need a PC that will perform the tasks handily. I know Intel is really good in this area but an overclocked AMD could be capable of more. I was looking at NCIX as they had the FX-8350 for $189 - $50 off Newegg's price.

I also live not too far from a Microcenter and they had the FX-8320 for $159, that might be more worth it in the long run.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 6, 2012 7:13:27 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Yeah I've already done that once this year. :lol: 

I really wanted to see how far I could take the FX in terms of overclocking - I'm getting into more math intensive classes so I'm going to need a PC that will perform the tasks handily. I know Intel is really good in this area but an overclocked AMD could be capable of more. I was looking at NCIX as they had the FX-8350 for $189 - $50 off Newegg's price.

I also live not too far from a Microcenter and they had the FX-8320 for $159, that might be more worth it in the long run.

It's whatever you wanna do man - personally I'd say either stay on that Phenom, or wait for the new Phenoms - they'll most likely refresh the line since Piledriver based Athlons are on the way!
m
l
!