Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How hot sould my PSU get?

Last response: in Components
December 5, 2012 10:32:43 PM

My power supply is a corsair TX650 and it seems to be getting much hotter than my old one which was stock in my hp computer(it was a 300w). my computer only draws about 400w idle and 450w running. my ventalation is great and none of the vents are blocked. When I put my hand to the PSU it feels like it's around 40c maybe a little more(it is enough to make me want to move my hand away). is it defective or was my old one just really cool?

More about : hot sould psu

a b ) Power supply
December 5, 2012 11:08:15 PM

It's normal for a power supply to feel warm but if its very hot to touch then that's bad. Anyways how do you know its around 40 degrees? Could get one of those thermal guns if you have any.....
December 5, 2012 11:19:51 PM

I don't know the exact temp, but when I play games it feels like 60c... it feels like the air temp when you open an oven that has been cooking at 400f. I don't have any way to measure it other than guessing. I don't feel any air coming out so I'm not sure if the fan is working on the PSU.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
December 5, 2012 11:22:33 PM

sm620 said:
I don't know the exact temp, but when I play games it feels like 60c... it feels like the air temp when you open an oven that has been cooking at 400f. I don't have any way to measure it other than guessing. I don't feel any air coming out so I'm not sure if the fan is working on the PSU.

Well leave the computer on and open the side panel and take a look if the fan is spinning with a flash light if its top mount. If bottom elevate the case on a stable place and let the part where the power supply draws air through stand freely and look under it with the flash light to see if it spins.
December 5, 2012 11:51:20 PM

It doesnt appear to be working. I looked while I was playing a game so my GPU would use enough power to get it to run. it should draw around 400w and the PSU says the fan runs when more than 160w are used. should I return it or is there an easy way to replace the fan?
a b ) Power supply
December 5, 2012 11:56:57 PM

Okay run Prime 95 or Furmark and if that fan does not spin you have a problem. I believe that power supply has the special fan that turns off at times and turns on when at load. If the fan does not turn on at all, you have a problem and should RMA the unit.
a b ) Power supply
December 6, 2012 12:14:29 AM

I just bought the corsair tx650 on newegg not the tx650 v2 but the older one. Did you get the same one because my fan isn't working either. I ran furmark and the fan would come on for like 10 seconds then stop for about 10 seconds. I'm about to return it.

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
December 6, 2012 12:23:01 AM

Well according to this guy:
http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110296

He says the fans kick in @ 48 degrees internal temperatures, can't say if he right but his profile does state he is a Corsair Product Guru. Hopefully that's not self appointed...

Anyways to the both of you...do your fans spin at boot for a few seconds? They should spin for a few seconds when you boot the computer.

Also seems like a common problem:
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=109626
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/329179-28-corsair-tx6...

Bottom line is both of your power supplies were meant to have fans that kick in when a certain load/ temperature is reached. If it does not spin at all, I would RMA it or talk to Corsair Support.
December 6, 2012 12:29:31 AM

I ran the furmark test and nothing happened regaurding the fan. The test didn't seem too hard on my system though. I practically ran it as high as it goes, but my Vsync got in the way an limited the fps to 60 despite my setting. I have the same one strife_ff7. Does the PSU communicate with the motherboard at all? I am wandering if it's a driver or something because it seems like the fan is constantly off because it's not registering the load.
a b ) Power supply
December 6, 2012 12:34:05 AM

Ok now would be a good time to contact Corsair:
http://www.corsair.com/tx650w.html/

Tell them the fan does not spin at all even when under load. Also tell them of the hot exterior case of the power supply. They should give you an opportunity to RMA it IF defective.

Also have you run both Prime 95 and Furmark simultaneously to achieve max power draw?
December 6, 2012 12:35:35 AM

I have an NVidia 660 ti GPU so I am sure it is drawing enough power for the fan to start. It definately gets hot enough to need a fan. I am considering just mounting a separate fan on top of it because I don't want to send it back if it's a common problem.
a b ) Power supply
December 6, 2012 12:39:50 AM

sm620 said:
I have an NVidia 660 ti GPU so I am sure it is drawing enough power for the fan to start. It definately gets hot enough to need a fan. I am considering just mounting a separate fan on top of it because I don't want to send it back if it's a common problem.

Well even if its a common problem, a problem is still a problem. At the least, if you have time give a shot with tech support @ Corsair and let them diagnose what's wrong with it and they should give you some feedback on what to do.
a b ) Power supply
December 6, 2012 12:42:33 AM

I posted on corsair's forum about my problem yesterday and a corsair rep said I should request a rma. He also said that if I had bought it within the last 30 days I could call their customer service and get a pre-paid shipping label.
December 6, 2012 1:05:47 AM

I applied for an RMA because I don't want to call tech support. It's been less than thirty days so I would apply for a pre paid shipping label. I think the fact that they have multiple TX650's it telling. I think the PSU get's hotter than my GPU under a medium load. I haven't pushed my graphics card because of this power supply problem.
December 6, 2012 1:16:31 AM

... I just realized I installed it upside down. does that effect anything? The way I installed it the air is supposed to go out the bottom of the case(which is raised off the ground) Does gravity effect the fan?
a b ) Power supply
December 6, 2012 1:27:07 AM

sm620 said:
... I just realized I installed it upside down. does that effect anything? The way I installed it the air is supposed to go out the bottom of the case(which is raised off the ground) Does gravity effect the fan?

Not really. Anyways describe how you installed it..if this was a bottom mount power supply then did you install it with the fan facing upwards in the case? Or was it downward so you could not see the fan?
December 6, 2012 1:36:29 AM

It is a bottom mount and the fan faces downward. I used a high powered flashlight and I could see the label on the fan not moving plus no air is moving out of the PSU. It is still upside down because less heat goes into the case that way.
a b ) Power supply
December 6, 2012 1:38:49 AM

I even tried installing mine both ways. This is got me kind of worried with all these tx650 problems. I could send it back now to newegg for a refund. What if the replacement corsair sends me does the same thing then what rma it again :pt1cable:  My ocz modxstream pro 600w is working perfectly. It never gets hot or loud. The only reason I got the corsair tx650 was I wasn't sure if I could overclock my hd 7950 later with the ocz psu. I know the ocz psu only has 500w and splits it's +12v. I think half of the 500w would be powering the gpu,case fans and drives. That would almost leave no headroom after overclocking the 7950. I don't even plan on overclocking my 7950 anytime soon but if I did I'd like to know it wouldn't overload my psu :pfff:  Guess I'm going to get the replacement and hope the next one works right.
a b ) Power supply
December 6, 2012 1:43:07 AM

Ok you guys are doing the right thing with the power supply facing downwards drawing air from below given your cases have feet that allow the psu some clearance from the floor.

Now the choice is up to both of you, Newegg refund or RMA. I myself would just get the refund and get another power supply which has the fan running all the time. However make no doubt, Corsair is a really good brand and those TX series are some real good stuff, but that fan issue is something that would cause me to get a refund.
December 6, 2012 1:51:31 AM

my GPU suggested a 450w PSU and I think AMD is supposed to be more effecient than NVidia. Have you looked at the power usage of your card? I think you could probably overclock with 500w. my old PSU was a 300w and I upgraded to ths one because it was on sale at newegg, which seems suspicous if this is a common problem. If your card has a suggested wattage above 450 I would be surprised. I think you could run it with your old PSU if it suggest around 400w. I am considering returning it to newegg and getting a more effecient one with my refund. if I had a 90% effeciency one it would not need the fan as much, therefore solving any future issues with fans.
December 6, 2012 10:10:32 PM

I am looking at a new PSU and I thought I would include the link if you want to look at it strife_ff7. It has up to 90% effeciency but the fan noise seems to have mixed reviews. It's a risk I am willing to take though... at least the fan seems to consistantly run.

this is the link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a b ) Power supply
December 6, 2012 11:53:39 PM

I just shipped my corsair back to newegg for a refund. I got this psu to replace it xfx pro550w http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It's a very good psu that's made by seasonic and with the 20% off now it's a great deal. I think it just went on sale today so lucky me :sol: 
December 8, 2012 4:52:52 AM

Best answer selected by sm620.
!