Need advice on building a gaming rig (cpu noob)

Hootie1980

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Hello everyone, I'm new to forums like this, so I apologize if there is a topic like this that has already been covered.

First of all, I will list my specs of my current computer:

Intel Q9300 quad core 2.5 ghz processor, 6 gigs of DDR2 ram. (not sure what the motherboard model is)I have upgraded from what I can tell everything except the processor and motherboard itself. I have a solid state hard drive, a brand new video card, even a new tower case with 3 fans.

I was wanting to upgrade the processor and motherboard, but I have no idea how to tell which processor goes with which board, and if they are actually meant for gaming in the first place. A lot of the good, newer ones like the i7 seem like they are priced to where only Bill Gates could afford them, but that also brings up an interesting topic as well. I'm not sure if I want to get a top of the line processor anyway, seeing that there will probably be an even faster one in a few months.

I suppose my ultimate question is how do you tell if a processor and board will work together, and how do you tell if a certain brain is good for gaming or not? My current setup was bought brand new back in 2008, and it has ran like a champ for 4 years now. It still runs great, but you can just tell that with the new games, the graphics are starting to surpass the older hardware. Sometimes games still sputter and take a frame rate dump, even with this video card that is just a few months old. It's an nvidia 550 ti with 2 gigs of ram. I'm pretty sure that can run all of the latest games.

Anyway, thanks for any help you all could provide.

socialfox

Distinguished
Well typically all the CPUs I see online such as newegg cover the Socket Type in the Details section. Take this for example:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

The details section claims the socket type for this processor is LGA 1155.
LGA 1155 compatible is what you want for your motherboard. In addition once you choose the motherboard just visit the support page and it will state a CPU support list which states all the CPUs it supports and the bios revision it needs.

payturr

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
How to tell if a CPU + a board work together - get the the socket name (an LGA1155 processor goes into socket LGA1155 on a board) and check if the BIOS of the board supports that processor (the board site will say "Supports Intel Core i3, i5, and i7!"). There are many brands, its really up to research to find out what are good ones. From my searches, ASUS, Corsair, MSI, Gigabyte - all very good brands. If you want to get an affordable processor and board, I know the Intel Core i5 3450 is good and there's an MSI Z77 LGA1155 motherboard for around 100$ (in America).

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

jaffa? JAFFA CAKES?
CAKES?
JAFFA CAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JAFFA CAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JAFFA CAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JAFFA CAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JAFFA CAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JAFFA CAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JAFFA CAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JAFFA CAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JAFFA CAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JAFFA CAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JAFFA CAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

socialfox

Distinguished

Hahaha :lol:
When you going to make another thread like that AMD vs Intel thread a while back? I feel like going on a trolling rampage...

socialfox

Distinguished

Uncle Leeroy wants to say something to you:
gl3f32.jpg