Sign in with
Your question

1000-1500 gaming build

Last response: in Systems
July 24, 2012 11:57:32 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: By the weekend

Budget Range: 1000-1500 (the lower the better)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, HTPC, some school work, minor photo editing

Are you buying a monitor: No

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg

Parts Preferences: Intel

Overclocking: In the future

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200

Additional Comments: I dont plan on overclocking this out of the box. I will only overclock later on when the computer needs more power.

Whats important to me: I want the computer to be quiet, and able to handle all current games on ultra settings. I want a case with great cooling options, like the rosewill thor v2, haf 932 advanced, etc. I also am shooting for reliability, I dont want to have to worry about things breaking because they had poor QC. If I can save money and get a lower priced build in my budget that would be awesome!

SSD- I like the idea of an ssd but I would not be placing my OS on it, I would only use it for booting games. I dont need my system to boot up as quickly as possible.

More about : 1000 1500 gaming build

a b B Homebuilt system
July 27, 2012 3:35:46 AM

First of all, I think it's a definite mistake to buy an SSD and use it for games and not the OS. The SSD as boot drive will increase the speed of your whole system, not just booting. If you don't want to do that, you could get a small one (say 30GB) and use it as a large cache for an HDD. That'd still be a better choice than just loading games on it, especially since the gaming improvement will be totally negligible.

Here's a system that will be great for games for several years to come. It has the GTX 670 and room to SLI another one in the future. Total cost is $1170, including Windows 7. It does not have an SSD. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/d6vs

Here's a system that's slightly higher end. Basically I took the first system and added an aftermarket CPU cooler, an SSD, and a semi-modular version of that same PSU. Total cost is $1320 and this system will be very fast. Drop an extra $50 or $100 to get a more stylish case if you want. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/d6wv
m
l
!