Restore Image Preview as Default Action?

April 14, 2005 9:20:03 PM

Somehow the default action for images in my desktop context menu was changed
to Open. The Preview option is still there, it's just not the default. How
can I make Preview the default action?

I tried editing the registry key
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image\ShellEx\
ContextMenuHandlers\ShellImagePreview but that only had the effect of
removing or restoring the Preview option from the context menu; it didn't
have any effect on which action is the default.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 10:20:11 AM

Hi Steve,

If you've used the open-with option for that file-type and chosen "Windows
Picture and Fax Viewer" permanently, "open" action becomes the default. Open
Folder Options applet, and switch to File Types tab. Select the file type
(example.. .JPG) from the list, and then click "Restore". Click OK to close
the dialog.

Or, edit the registry and delete the "ProgID" and "Application" values in
this key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.jpg
(Assuming for .jpg files)

Then, type this in Start-Run if needed:

regsvr32 /i shimgvw.dll

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Steve J." <Steve J.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Somehow the default action for images in my desktop context menu was
> changed
> to Open. The Preview option is still there, it's just not the default. How
> can I make Preview the default action?
>
> I tried editing the registry key
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image\ShellEx\
> ContextMenuHandlers\ShellImagePreview but that only had the effect of
> removing or restoring the Preview option from the context menu; it didn't
> have any effect on which action is the default.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 10:38:52 AM

>> chosen "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" permanently

Any other application / third-party viewer.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

!