Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Possible to replace a Pentium Dual Core with a Core 2 Quad?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
December 6, 2012 2:18:11 AM

Hey, Mike2012 here. Is it possible for me to upgrade from a Pentium Dual Core @ 3.2ghz to a Core 2 Quad on the same mobo? I was just wondering.

Also, if it is possible, would I see that big of an increase in gaming performance or no?
a c 223 à CPUs
December 6, 2012 2:29:59 AM

What mobo do you have?
What quad core would you like?

And no mostly you won't see much improvement. In games like battlefield 3 multi-player a little bit of improvement. But not much... Its not worht the price of old 775socket quads...
m
0
l
December 6, 2012 6:51:35 AM

From what I thought, the core 2 quad (Q6600 and above) were much better than the pentium dual core for gaming. If you can find a G0 stepping Q6600 overclock it to 3.2~3.6ghz and you'll be good for most games.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 223 à CPUs
December 6, 2012 6:56:03 AM

koreanzombie said:
From what I thought, the core 2 quad (Q6600 and above) were much better than the pentium dual core for gaming. If you can find a G0 stepping Q6600 overclock it to 3.2~3.6ghz and you'll be good for most games.


Actually the E6750 for example was BETTER for gaming than the Q6600...
m
0
l
December 6, 2012 7:24:13 AM

The Core 2 Quad and Pentium Dual Core fit into the same socket, which is the LGA 775.

It all depends whether your motherboard supports your new quad core cpu, you can check the cpu support list of your board by checking up the part no. on Google.

Any quad core will significantly outperform a dual core in all aspects
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 6, 2012 11:00:18 AM

Hi

I am not sure you can say a quad core will always out perform a dual core if both CPU's of the same generation and the dual core runs at much faster clock rate (GHz)
Unless you have applications which can use all 4 cores.

A Pentium D is a earlier generation than Core2 Duo & Core2Quad

If you can find a cheap secondhand core2duo or core2Quad of similar speed to old CPU and which is supported by the motherboard it will improve performance but a new one will be difficult to find and not worth the bother

regard

Mike Barnes
m
0
l
December 9, 2012 4:56:18 PM

MrTechnoShock said:
The Core 2 Quad and Pentium Dual Core fit into the same socket, which is the LGA 775.

It all depends whether your motherboard supports your new quad core cpu, you can check the cpu support list of your board by checking up the part no. on Google.

Any quad core will significantly outperform a dual core in all aspects

Well I looked in CPU-Z and here's my mobo information....

Chipset: Intel P45/P43/G45/G43
Model: 018DXY
Southbridge: 82801JR

I'm basically looking to upgrade, so that I won't be bottlenecked in console ports, which tend to favor Quad-core cpu's or games that just need more than 2 cores.
m
0
l
a c 79 à CPUs
December 9, 2012 11:40:55 PM

mike2012 said:
Well I looked in CPU-Z and here's my mobo information....

Chipset: Intel P45/P43/G45/G43
Model: 018DXY
Southbridge: 82801JR

I'm basically looking to upgrade, so that I won't be bottlenecked in console ports, which tend to favor Quad-core cpu's or games that just need more than 2 cores.


CPU-Z Doesn't give you a motherboard vendor and model ?
m
0
l
December 13, 2012 11:59:30 AM

cmi86 said:
CPU-Z Doesn't give you a motherboard vendor and model ?

Well the model should be 018DXY.

It also says something like "LPCIO ITE IT8720".

It also gives some information about my BIOS model...

Brand: Dell inc.
Version: A06
Date: 12/01/2010

But yeah, I was looking at getting either a used Q6600@2.4ghz for like $90 or to save up a little more and get a used QX6700@2.6ghz for about $130. Both from Amazon.

Now another thing, I won't have to update my bios or anything to make the new Quad-core CPU work will I?

And lastly will a Core 2 Quad CPU + an HD 7750 run on 300w?
m
0
l
a c 79 à CPUs
December 14, 2012 9:29:16 PM

Ur gonna have to crack the case open and get the actual numbers off of the board because none of that helps. The fact that it's an OEM board significantly reduces your chances of compatibility withe different CPU's
m
0
l
December 16, 2012 9:28:59 PM

cmi86 said:
Ur gonna have to crack the case open and get the actual numbers off of the board because none of that helps. The fact that it's an OEM board significantly reduces your chances of compatibility withe different CPU's

Alright well I looked at the I/O controller on the board and it said this....
Quote:
Intel
AF82801JIR
L1165B22
SLB85

So would a Q6600 or Q6700 work on that board?
m
0
l
December 17, 2012 1:18:17 AM

mike2012 said:
Hey, Mike2012 here. Is it possible for me to upgrade from a Pentium Dual Core @ 3.2ghz to a Core 2 Quad on the same mobo? I was just wondering.

Also, if it is possible, would I see that big of an increase in gaming performance or no?

if your motherboard supports core2quad then try buying a used one for half the price and sell ur dual core processor
m
0
l
a c 79 à CPUs
December 20, 2012 12:07:43 AM

Those are the wrong numbers the ones you are looking for should be somewhere around the memory slots printed in large print.
m
0
l
!