Graphics card output problem!

I have a sapphire radeon HD 5670 1 GB GDDR5 edition, and i have dual monitors, but i wanted some good sound so i went out and bought a home theater in a box, but it only allows me to either use two monitors, or a monitor and the surround sound. But the graphics card supports eyefinity and i have a display port to HDMI adapter hooked up to it, so is there a way i can enable everything? Thanks in advance
6 answers Last reply
More about graphics card output problem
  1. Quote:
    ...but it only allows me to either use two monitors, or a monitor and the surround sound.

By "it" are you referring to the 5670, or the home theater in a box?

three outputs require an active adapter from the display port. Just a simple cable with displayport in and HDMI out won't work.
  2. blade061188 said:
    Quote:
    ...but it only allows me to either use two monitors, or a monitor and the surround sound.

By "it" are you referring to the 5670, or the home theater in a box?

three outputs require an active adapter from the display port. Just a simple cable with displayport in and HDMI out won't work.

I was referring to the 5670, and what do you mean an active adapter?
  3. If you look at item descriptions when you look at adapters, you can see some that are "active" and some that aren't.

the active adapters have additional parts in them that convert the signal. The GPU can only output two monitors without an active adapter.

If you look at product reviews, people will say whether it works for Eyefinity or not.

Cheapest active adapters are around $30
    http://www.amazon.com/Accell-B087B-005B-DisplayPort-Single-Link-Certified/dp/B004071ZX0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
  4. blade061188 said:
    If you look at item descriptions when you look at adapters, you can see some that are "active" and some that aren't.

the active adapters have additional parts in them that convert the signal. The GPU can only output two monitors without an active adapter.

If you look at product reviews, people will say whether it works for Eyefinity or not.

Cheapest active adapters are around $30
    http://www.amazon.com/Accell-B087B-005B-DisplayPort-Single-Link-Certified/dp/B004071ZX0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Okay cool, thank you very much, could i just get a DVI to HDMI and use my motherboard for the sound?
  5. I'm confused, why are you hooking up you're GPU to the receiver for sound? you should be hooking the sound card up to it...

you don't need display port for dual montitors.
  6. unksol said:
    I'm confused, why are you hooking up you're GPU to the receiver for sound? you should be hooking the sound card up to it...

you don't need display port for dual montitors.

I dont have a sound card, i have the built in one with 3 ports, and the only way i can hook up surround to it is through an HDMI which is on my graphics card, i will probably have to buy a sound card with TOSLINK on it or something i guess
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics