Sign in with
Your question

Good PC specs but slow PC? Help!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 1, 2012 8:43:10 PM

Hi, I'm not very good with putting together computers, so a few months back my friend put together a list of computer parts he used for himself. I got opinions from a few others aswell on the list, everyone saying it was good. People still say it is, but I can barely play WoW on low settings with average FPS. All the reviews on my products say everything is fine, need help finding what the problem is! Please!

Processor: AMD A6-3500 2.1GHz (2.4GHz Max Turbo) Socket FM1 65W Triple-Core Desktop APU
RAM: 8GB
Video Card: ASUS Radeon HD 6670 EAH6670/DIS/1GD5 Video Card
PSU: OCZ Fatal1ty 550W Modular Gaming Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom
Mobo: ASRock A75M Micro ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
Hard drive: 500GB

Maybe something isn't compatible? Any advice is good advice :)  ; I don't really know, please help!

Sincerely,
Zane

More about : good specs slow

June 1, 2012 8:52:49 PM

Did you crossfire the 6670 with the APU? Because without that enabled, you would be getting crap speeds.
June 1, 2012 8:53:29 PM

Honest to god, I have no idea what that means, so I highly doubt I did. Do you know how to do that or where I can?
Related resources
June 1, 2012 8:56:42 PM

All I know is it's a profile you need to enable in Catalyst Control Center. Never run a multi-card setup myself, so I can't provide any more info. Sorry.
June 1, 2012 9:26:25 PM

willard, you cannot crossfire HD 6670 with an APU.

@the OP:
Are you using any addons? Try disabling them and see if it helps the performance. Your CPU isn't very strong and addons just love to suck CPU power.

Also, what resolution are you playing at? Did it use to run WoW fine or was it bad from the beginning?
June 1, 2012 10:11:40 PM

Is that a hybrid crossfire configuration, or does it actually use both APU and GPU at the same time to increase power beyond the single discrete card?
June 2, 2012 3:39:54 AM

bystander said:
Is that a hybrid crossfire configuration, or does it actually use both APU and GPU at the same time to increase power beyond the single discrete card?

It will use the APU for light tasks and kick into crossfire mode when gaming. The results are pretty impressive, and extremely affordable. I'm a big fan of the setup for low end rigs when you want good gaming performance.

Works especially well in laptops, saves power when web browsing, but modern games are totally playable. AMD might be getting trounced in the high end space, but Intel's got nothing on them in the low end.
Anonymous
June 3, 2012 4:58:04 AM

You should check out things like your virtual memory & try defragging your hard drive...ok for get about the hardware because i doubt it's faulty...Or try change OS to 32 bit so as you know 8gb RAM will be reduced as well...
June 3, 2012 5:04:37 AM

Quote:
Or try change OS to 32 bit so as you know 8gb RAM will be reduced as well...

Why would you tell somebody to switch from 64 bit to 32 bit? That's awful advice.
June 3, 2012 6:04:33 AM

+1^ lol, yea I would agree.
Anonymous
June 3, 2012 11:49:40 AM

If you want to solve such an issue it's worth a shot...but i really thought of say to reinstall 64 bit version but i just doubt it would solve the issue..
June 3, 2012 11:57:04 AM

Quote:
If you want to solve such an issue it's worth a shot...but i really thought of say to reinstall 64 bit version but i just doubt it would solve the issue..

32 bit system solving it and 64 not makes no sense at all.
Anonymous
June 3, 2012 12:11:30 PM

Sunius said:
32 bit system solving it and 64 not makes no sense at all.

64 bit sometimes does not configure drivers properly so it does make sense...
June 3, 2012 12:34:48 PM

Quote:
64 bit sometimes does not configure drivers properly so it does make sense...

That may have been the truth 10 years ago, but not anymore. 64 Bit systems are a norm, and all the drivers are made with both 32 bit and 64 bit systems in mind.
Anonymous
June 3, 2012 12:39:17 PM

it still happens as a computer science engineer it still happens to me today......or maybe you right... so what is the rpm of the 500gb hard drive?
Anonymous
June 3, 2012 12:51:42 PM

you are right! but what if, what I'm is true?
June 3, 2012 2:37:10 PM

Quote:
it still happens as a computer science engineer it still happens to me today......or maybe you right... so what is the rpm of the 500gb hard drive?

Lol, computer science engineer? Yeah, sure. No way did you just make that up.

I am a software engineer, and I work for a Fortune 500 company designing software for the Department of Defense. Your advice is crap. Also, you're the first person I've ever heard say "computer science engineer." You're engineering computer sciences, is that it?

Give it up. You gave bad advice. Take your lumps and move on, trying to save face is just going to make you look dumb.
January 5, 2013 10:42:03 PM

I would be interested in knowing what the specs are on your 500GB hard drive, as well as the version of SATA controller in your motherboard. (I.E. SATA I, II, or III)

A critical considering in building a gaming system is the hard drive that will be used. Mechanical drives tend to produce slower transfer rates than solid state drives, which can cause a major bottleneck. As although your processor, ram, and graphics cards may be able to handle the load, the data still has to be read from and be written to your hard drive. A poor performing drive cancels out any possible benefit of your other devices. For the best performance, I recommend a high quality SSD drive, such as; the Corsair Force GT. I recommend selecting a drive with more than enough space to hold the primary operating system, applications, and games you wish to use. Then you can use your existing 500GB for data storage purposes.
!