Computer wont POST with HD 5770 inserted

Jasex

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
Hi everyone.

I recently got back my computer from a friends house, however it wasn't my friend who brought it back and it ended up coming back in a trunk.

But, everything works. All the fans, the RAM, both hard drives, CPU, onboard graphics, etc. Except for my aftermarket HD 5770.

I used the GFX card for the longest time without any problems, so I know that my ASUS mATX mainboard is compatible with it.

What happens, though, when I try to boot with the card in the PCI slot, the computer will power on, the fans will run(including the card's, so I don't believe it is outright broken), however there's no beeps, no signal, no POST/BIOS, nothing. I hear the fan on the card winding up and down periodically, but nothing radical.

I've tried booting with the IGP(DVI), going into the BIOS and changing some of the Chipset settings and trying to disable the onboard/set priority to the external card. No good, though.

I think I've narrowed it down to a possible problem with the P4 connector from my Cooler Master 500W PSU. Even if the card is seated in the only PCI slot, locked, and connected to the monitor, it WILL boot to the POST screen if the P4 connector isn't connected(this does though make the fan on the card go ape-s***).

When the P4 is in, it doesnt. Fans just do their spinning thing and beeps are no where to be heard.

Like I said, since the fan is running on the 5770 I'm not thinking the card is physically damaged, but I can't get anything to boot when its setup. Also, would the drivers on the OS have anything to do with it not booting? I just want to know what you guys think of this/what I need to do to resolve this.

Thanks!

Jasex

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

Alright, I will. thanks.