Solved

Advice on cooling for my build

Plan to use this rig for both gaming and photo/video-editing. The case comes with a 140mm rear exhaust and 200mm top exhaust. I plan on oc and cf, but not in the near-future. Id like to know if I need more cooling for this config... if yes.. pls specify.

Case: Antec Eleven Hundred Black Super Mid Tower Computer Case
PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W
Motherboard: BIOSTAR TZ77XE3
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K
VideoCard: GIGABYTE HD 7850 2GB
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1600
SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about advice cooling build
  1. You could buy the 2 x 120 mm fans for the front, and a 120 mm for the side panel to cool down the GPU. You'll have a positive air pressure decreasing the dust and improving cooling.

The good thing is that if you want to CF, you can put another 120 mm and both cards should be cooled properly.

I forgot the 2 internal 120 mm fans (In the Hard Drive Cage), Instead of the 120 mm in the side panel (If you don't like how it looks or the dust problem) you can put it in the HDD cage to blow air directly to the GPU (May be some clearance problems with the video card)
  2. jrayx said:
    You could buy the 2 x 120 mm fans for the front, and a 120 mm for the side panel to cool down the GPU. You'll have a positive air pressure decreasing the dust and improving cooling.

The good thing is that if you want to CF, you can put another 120 mm and both cards should be cooled properly.

I forgot the 2 internal 120 mm fans (In the Hard Drive Cage), Instead of the 120 mm in the side panel (If you don't like how it looks or the dust problem) you can put it in the HDD cage to blow air directly to the GPU (May be some clearance problems with the video card)

My qn is more like "How much cooling is required for this particular build ?? " Do I really need a fan on every available slot in the tower as you've mentioned ? About the dust issue.. are you saying that having intake fans that blow directly into the board will generally alleviate this problem.
  3. install intake fans on the front , I wouldnd bother with the window fans as testing has shown that with a proper front to rear air flow side panel fans add little or nothing to cooling performance also those dont have filters so you'd be cleaning out dustbunnie's constantly . That being said as long as the intake fans are up to snuff ie. good cfm . you should have no problems with moderate oc's provided your cpu cooler ( not listed ) is up to the job .. good luck with your build :)
  4. Best answer
    You don't necessarily need more, more can be better though when you start overclocking.

The behind the mobo fan is interesting, and maybe worth installing. The fans in the window aren't really worth it, as rufus said. And as jrayx said, the front intake fans help as well.

And yes, having more intake than exhaust will generally reduce dust. A having more intake than exhaust will pull in air from specific locations (in front of the intake fans), and push air out of the exhaust and any cracks in the case. If you have more exhaust than intake, the excess exhaust will cause air (and dust) to get sucked in through all the cracks in the case instead.
  5. Thanks .. that helps !
    Sorry .. i forgot to mention about the cpu cooler.. Im going with the stock intel cooler for now. Some posts here said its sufficient as long as i dont oc.
    One final qn .. I bought the cooler-master 4 in 1 pack(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103052).. cos it cost only $10 and Im broke after dropping a grand on the rest.
    I find that the connecting wires are too short (15cm maybe).. how do I use these as intake fans ? I dont find any 3-pin sockets in the front..
  6. Your best bet is a 3pin to MOLEX adapter I think, that's kinda a weird setup for a 4pack (I would expect them to include the molex adapters or something, seems like 4 fans that would only work in a rear exhaust port)

The stock CPU fan is fine for stock clocks, Hyper212 evo or Noctua Nh-d14 when u oc.
  7. awesome.. now to go find a 4pin-to-3pin adapter.. thx !
  8. Best answer selected by mapsver.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components Product