Future Nikon DSLR Cameras

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 20, 2005 8:16:35 PM

If the released D200 specs are correct:

!2 Meg at 3fps for 10 RAW
6 Meg at 5fps for 18 RAW Crop Mode
52 ms shutter lag
11 area AF with 9 cross type sensors (same as D2X)
6.2x4.8x3.4 inches (same as F6)
810 gram magnesium body

Then this is definitely a very responsive semi-pro camera.
Which could be a couple of thousand USD.

The D70s was obviously a stop-gap model, so . . .

Nikon could release a new D80 DSLR at next
February's PMA with a !2 Meg imager for 1000 USD.
On second thoughts they might delay the launch until
Photokina 2006 - much bigger show - more impact.

As everybody is saying - its the size of the imager
that costs the money. Not the pixel density.

A year later Nikon could launch the 12 Meg D60 for 500
USD.

Now tell me I am wrong . . .

Some thoughts on a wet cool day that seems like autumn.

Deryck
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 8:16:36 PM

>I did not mention Canon.
>This what I said:
>If the released D200 specs are correct:

Ah, but you expected the 'my car is better than your car' person to not
talk about their brand of car and denigrate your brand of car?!?!?!
How silly of you...this newgroup is filled with the pervasively
juvenile attitude about 'my brand' and 'your brand'.

I do not think the D70 is 'stop gap' as you put it, any more than
Canon's 350XT is 'stop gap'. They both have their place at the
slightly-higher-cost entry level DSLR, as 'bigger brothers' to the D50
and 300XT.

If the D200 specs are as you put it, I think it is in the 'semipro'
market space currently filled with Canon's 20D; and the D2X tries to
compete in the same pro space as the 1Ds MkII. The fact that a D200
has 12Mpixel capability merely puts it one leap ahead of the 20D, and
you can expect Canon to respond with a 12Mpixel (or higher) model to
fill the semipro space.

(I'm not a Nikon shooter, and I refuse to get into the 'our brand is
better than your brand' nonsense.)
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 8:16:36 PM

> =bob= writes ...
>
>If 5D and 1D Mk II n spec leak are true ...

Do you have a link to the 1D Mk II n "spec leak"? I missed that one :)
August 20, 2005 8:16:37 PM

"wilt" <wiltw@aol.com> wrote in message
> >I did not mention Canon.
>>This what I said:
>>If the released D200 specs are correct:
>
> Ah, but you expected the 'my car is better than your car' person to not
> talk about their brand of car and denigrate your brand of car?!?!?!
> How silly of you...this newgroup is filled with the pervasively
> juvenile attitude about 'my brand' and 'your brand'.
>
> I do not think the D70 is 'stop gap' as you put it, any more than
> Canon's 350XT is 'stop gap'. They both have their place at the
> slightly-higher-cost entry level DSLR, as 'bigger brothers' to the D50
> and 300XT.
>
> If the D200 specs are as you put it, I think it is in the 'semipro'
> market space currently filled with Canon's 20D; and the D2X tries to
> compete in the same pro space as the 1Ds MkII. The fact that a D200
> has 12Mpixel capability merely puts it one leap ahead of the 20D, and
> you can expect Canon to respond with a 12Mpixel (or higher) model to
> fill the semipro space.
>
> (I'm not a Nikon shooter, and I refuse to get into the 'our brand is
> better than your brand' nonsense.)

Yes. Not necessary, although with Nikon and Canon clearly doing battle,
it's going to come up.
The Canon 5D is clearly aimed at this D200 (assuming both spec sheets are
real, and I think they are).
Nikon continues its interesting idea of offering the option of faster fps
using the center portion of the imager. I think this is a rather nifty
option to have.

I'm a Canon user, but Nikon manages to offer compelling choices. It does
seem that Canon manages to get the jump on Nikon time and again, but we'll
see what plays out.
The bottom line for me is that I'm really glad Canon and Nikon have each
other to keep up with!
-Otherwise, progress would be slow, and prices would be high.
:)
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 11:36:56 PM

> Gregor writes ...
>
>I just don't see any advantage in CMOS when having to give up a decent
>flash sync

I don't see the relationship between CMOS and slow flash sync times
(maybe it's a Nikon thing?) ... my most used dSLR (CMOS sensor) has
1/250 th sec flash sync in normal mode and with high-speed sync mode
(reduced flash power) will sync up to 1/8,000 th sec. I can live with
that ...
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 11:43:56 PM

The message <1124556258.012579.16070@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>
from "wilt" <wiltw@aol.com> contains these words:

> >I did not mention Canon.
> >This what I said:
> >If the released D200 specs are correct:

> Ah, but you expected the 'my car is better than your car' person to not
> talk about their brand of car and denigrate your brand of car?!?!?!
> How silly of you...this newgroup is filled with the pervasively
> juvenile attitude about 'my brand' and 'your brand'.

> I do not think the D70 is 'stop gap' as you put it, any more than
> Canon's 350XT is 'stop gap'. They both have their place at the
> slightly-higher-cost entry level DSLR, as 'bigger brothers' to the D50
> and 300XT.

You are quite right. I have phrased things very badly. The D70 has, quite
rightly, been a huge success. When the D80 is released I think the imager
will be 12 meg and the occasion could be Photokina Sept 2006.

> If the D200 specs are as you put it, I think it is in the 'semipro'
> market space currently filled with Canon's 20D; and the D2X tries to
> compete in the same pro space as the 1Ds MkII. The fact that a D200
> has 12Mpixel capability merely puts it one leap ahead of the 20D, and
> you can expect Canon to respond with a 12Mpixel (or higher) model to
> fill the semipro space.

The AF system in the D200 is from the D2X which places the camera in a
different league to the 20D. The 20D replacement will have to have the
AF system from the 1Dmk2 camera to remain competitive with the D200.

> (I'm not a Nikon shooter, and I refuse to get into the 'our brand is
> better than your brand' nonsense.)

I own both Nikon and Canon DSLR cameras. But my Nikon system is vast
and my Canon lightweight. I prefer the ethics of Nikon who are an
engineering led company who provide what they think you actually need.
Canon is a marketing led company.

Deryck
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 12:11:32 AM

Does the D200 come with a real MLU? I mean not this delayed mirror pre-lock
feature of the D100 but the real thing that is supported on the D2H and D2X.
If not, the D200 would already displease me rather significantly since it
"obviously" comes with a CMOS sensor and hence destroys all hope for fast
flash sync. - I still believe that these specs are wrong. But perhaps, one
should never underestimate the stupidity of some large company's marketing
department ;-)

Gregor

"deryck lant" <deryck@deryck.com> wrote in message
> If the released D200 specs are correct:
>
> !2 Meg at 3fps for 10 RAW
> 6 Meg at 5fps for 18 RAW Crop Mode
> 52 ms shutter lag
> 11 area AF with 9 cross type sensors (same as D2X)
> 6.2x4.8x3.4 inches (same as F6)
> 810 gram magnesium body
>
> Then this is definitely a very responsive semi-pro camera.
> Which could be a couple of thousand USD.
>
> The D70s was obviously a stop-gap model, so . . .
>
> Nikon could release a new D80 DSLR at next
> February's PMA with a !2 Meg imager for 1000 USD.
> On second thoughts they might delay the launch until
> Photokina 2006 - much bigger show - more impact.
>
> As everybody is saying - its the size of the imager
> that costs the money. Not the pixel density.
>
> A year later Nikon could launch the 12 Meg D60 for 500
> USD.
>
> Now tell me I am wrong . . .
>
> Some thoughts on a wet cool day that seems like autumn.
>
> Deryck
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 12:46:32 AM

In article <U7MNe.3072$3F6.1270@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,
gregor_o@NOSPAMyahoo.com says...
> If not, the D200 would already displease me rather significantly since it
> "obviously" comes with a CMOS sensor and hence destroys all hope for fast
> flash sync.

You can get perfectly good flash sync speeds using an external
speedlight and a CMOS sensor.

Considering how useless the onboard flash is on many cameras, I don't
think you should be knocking the lower noise characteristics of a CMOS
sensor for the limited novelty of having a high sync speed for the
already limited onboard flash.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
Anonymous

The message <U7MNe.3072$3F6.1270@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>
from "GTO" <gregor_o@NOSPAMyahoo.com> contains these words:

> Does the D200 come with a real MLU? I mean not this delayed mirror pre-lock
> feature of the D100 but the real thing that is supported on the D2H
> and D2X.
> If not, the D200 would already displease me rather significantly since it
> "obviously" comes with a CMOS sensor and hence destroys all hope for fast
> flash sync. - I still believe that these specs are wrong. But perhaps, one
> should never underestimate the stupidity of some large company's marketing
> department ;-)

The full spec was not leaked so I am not sure about MLU. I sure hope it
is included.

> Gregor

> "deryck lant" <deryck@deryck.com> wrote in message
> > If the released D200 specs are correct:
> >
> > !2 Meg at 3fps for 10 RAW
> > 6 Meg at 5fps for 18 RAW Crop Mode
> > 52 ms shutter lag
> > 11 area AF with 9 cross type sensors (same as D2X)
> > 6.2x4.8x3.4 inches (same as F6)
> > 810 gram magnesium body
> >
> > Then this is definitely a very responsive semi-pro camera.
> > Which could be a couple of thousand USD.
> >
> > The D70s was obviously a stop-gap model, so . . .
> >
> > Nikon could release a new D80 DSLR at next
> > February's PMA with a !2 Meg imager for 1000 USD.
> > On second thoughts they might delay the launch until
> > Photokina 2006 - much bigger show - more impact.
> >
> > As everybody is saying - its the size of the imager
> > that costs the money. Not the pixel density.
> >
> > A year later Nikon could launch the 12 Meg D60 for 500
> > USD.
> >
> > Now tell me I am wrong . . .
> >
> > Some thoughts on a wet cool day that seems like autumn.
> >
> > Deryck
August 21, 2005 2:04:11 AM

"deryck lant" <deryck@deryck.com> skrev i meddelandet
> The message <1124556258.012579.16070@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>
> from "wilt" <wiltw@aol.com> contains these words:

> Canon is a marketing led company.
>
> Deryck

Just a correction, or maybe an addition.

"Could that be why it runs the most productive R&D effort in the world?"

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/2.10/canon.html

"In the electronic & electrical sector Canon is exceptional with a
patent-to-R&D ratio of 15.4 compared to a sector average of 7.0."
(http://www.innovation.gov.uk/projects/rd_scoreboard/ana...)

13 years running, Top 10 Corporations Receiving U.S. Patents (2004)

All that from a marketing led company.

Regards
Roger
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 2:29:30 AM

deryck lant wrote:
> The message <U7MNe.3072$3F6.1270@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>
> from "GTO" <gregor_o@NOSPAMyahoo.com> contains these words:
>

>>Does the D200 come with a real MLU? I mean not this delayed mirror pre-lock
>>feature of the D100 but the real thing that is supported on the D2H
>>and D2X.
>>If not, the D200 would already displease me rather significantly since it
>>"obviously" comes with a CMOS sensor and hence destroys all hope for fast
>>flash sync. - I still believe that these specs are wrong. But perhaps, one
>>should never underestimate the stupidity of some large company's marketing
>>department ;-)
>

> The full spec was not leaked so I am not sure about MLU. I sure hope it
> is included.

Then you need to readjust because the mainstream cameras will use CMOS.
This includes Sony, Canon and Kodak/IBM. Sony wants to put CMOS in use
in small digicams too but just not feasible.
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 3:15:43 AM

In article <1124568387.850879.241890@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
wilt <wiltw@aol.com> wrote:
>At the same time, I do not think Nikon is quite as 'engineering'
>oriented as you might believe, or they would have adopted a new lens
>mount for the technical advantages that more room on the mount can
>offer.

And we have the silly lens mount nonsense again. Please tell me, which
lenses do you (or any friends/colleagues/whatever) own that cannot be made
with a Nikon mount?

August 21, 2005 3:51:52 AM

Who is talking about "onboard" flash? - I use my D70 with my SB-800 at 1/250
to 1/500 flash sync rather frequently. I use it as fill-in flash during day
light and for close-up work. It works great and is VERY useful.

Gregor

PS: I try to avoid using toy flashes when ever possible. The D70's built-in
flash is junk. Nikon may just skip it next time they design a new model.

"Brian Baird" <no@no.thank.u> wrote in message
> In article <U7MNe.3072$3F6.1270@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,
> gregor_o@NOSPAMyahoo.com says...
>> If not, the D200 would already displease me rather significantly since it
>> "obviously" comes with a CMOS sensor and hence destroys all hope for fast
>> flash sync.
>
> You can get perfectly good flash sync speeds using an external
> speedlight and a CMOS sensor.
>
> Considering how useless the onboard flash is on many cameras, I don't
> think you should be knocking the lower noise characteristics of a CMOS
> sensor for the limited novelty of having a high sync speed for the
> already limited onboard flash.
> --
> http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 3:53:01 AM

"l e o" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
> deryck lant wrote:
>> The message <U7MNe.3072$3F6.1270@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>
>> from "GTO" <gregor_o@NOSPAMyahoo.com> contains these words:
>>

>>>Does the D200 come with a real MLU? I mean not this delayed mirror
>>>pre-lock feature of the D100 but the real thing that is supported on the
>>>D2H
>>>and D2X. If not, the D200 would already displease me rather significantly
>>>since it "obviously" comes with a CMOS sensor and hence destroys all hope
>>>for fast flash sync. - I still believe that these specs are wrong. But
>>>perhaps, one should never underestimate the stupidity of some large
>>>company's marketing department ;-)
>>

>> The full spec was not leaked so I am not sure about MLU. I sure hope it
>> is included.
>
> Then you need to readjust because the mainstream cameras will use CMOS.
> This includes Sony, Canon and Kodak/IBM. Sony wants to put CMOS in use in
> small digicams too but just not feasible.
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 5:36:55 AM

The problem is ... Canon has all of that ... yesterday :p

If 5D and 1D Mk II n spec leak are true, Nikon is blown away further from
the camera race.

=bob=

"deryck lant" <deryck@deryck.com> wrote in message
> If the released D200 specs are correct:
> A year later Nikon could launch the 12 Meg D60 for 500
> USD.
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 5:36:56 AM

The message <43074e11$0$21036$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>
from "[BnH]" <b18[at]ii[dot]net> contains these words:

> The problem is ... Canon has all of that ... yesterday :p

> If 5D and 1D Mk II n spec leak are true, Nikon is blown away further from
> the camera race.

> =bob=

> "deryck lant" <deryck@deryck.com> wrote in message
> > If the released D200 specs are correct:
> > A year later Nikon could launch the 12 Meg D60 for 500
> > USD.

I did not mention Canon.

This what I said:

[...]

August 21, 2005 7:45:19 AM

Bill Hilton wrote:
>>Gregor writes ...
>>
>>I just don't see any advantage in CMOS when having to give up a decent
>>flash sync
>

> I don't see the relationship between CMOS and slow flash sync times
> (maybe it's a Nikon thing?) ... my most used dSLR (CMOS sensor) has
> 1/250 th sec flash sync in normal mode and with high-speed sync mode
> (reduced flash power) will sync up to 1/8,000 th sec. I can live with
> that ...

CCD has the electronic shutter trick. It might come to CMOS someday.
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 7:45:20 AM

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 03:45:19 GMT, l e o <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:

>Bill Hilton wrote:
>>>Gregor writes ...
>>>
>>>I just don't see any advantage in CMOS when having to give up a decent
>>>flash sync
>>

>> I don't see the relationship between CMOS and slow flash sync times
>> (maybe it's a Nikon thing?) ... my most used dSLR (CMOS sensor) has
>> 1/250 th sec flash sync in normal mode and with high-speed sync mode
>> (reduced flash power) will sync up to 1/8,000 th sec. I can live with
>> that ...
>

>CCD has the electronic shutter trick. It might come to CMOS someday.

What is this?

Kodak
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 7:57:59 AM

In article <smPNe.3339$Z87.2597@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
gregor_o@NOSPAMyahoo.com says...
> Who is talking about "onboard" flash? - I use my D70 with my SB-800 at 1/250
> to 1/500 flash sync rather frequently. I use it as fill-in flash during day
> light and for close-up work. It works great and is VERY useful.
>
> Gregor

The thing is, if you're using an external speedlight, ANY DSLR (CMOS or
CCD) will give you higher sync rates using reduced flash power.

The only reason the CCD on the D70 & D70s is of interest is that it
allows the ONBOARD flash to sync at 1/500th.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
Anonymous

In article <jNSNe.9260$WD.8373@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
someone@somewhere.net says...
> CCD has the electronic shutter trick. It might come to CMOS someday.

Certainly CMOS has the ability, whether or not this ability conflicts
with the processes that make noise attenuation possible on the chip is
another matter.

--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
Anonymous

You are noit wrong, but somehow the 'stuff' Nikon bringing out seems already
availiable in the other camp , Canon.
I myself is a Nikon user with 3 bodies and a dozen ED and prime glass.
I really hope D200 or Dxxx as my contact told me spec better be really good
and not using 6mpx sensor again
[altho I don't know how many ppl print poster size snaps everyday]

Nikon progresses with the mindset of releasing cameras that last [in price
pov]
as when I see Canon prices, wow ... they are something.
If you draw a curve for the Canon and Nikon DSLR prices, you will see a
steep price drop on each and every unit of Canon DSLR [except their flagship
cam]
20D can be bought for around 60% off now used and that really amazes me.

=bob=

> The message <43074e11$0$21036$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>
> from "[BnH]" <b18[at]ii[dot]net> contains these words:
>
>> The problem is ... Canon has all of that ... yesterday :p
>
>> If 5D and 1D Mk II n spec leak are true, Nikon is blown away further from
>> the camera race.
>
>> =bob=
>
> Now tell me I am wrong . . .
>
> Some thoughts on a wet cool day that seems like autumn.
>
> Deryck

Anonymous
August 21, 2005 1:41:41 PM

On 20-Aug-05 21:15, Brian Baird wrote:
> In article <jNSNe.9260$WD.8373@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
> someone@somewhere.net says...
>
>>CCD has the electronic shutter trick. It might come to CMOS someday.
>

> Certainly CMOS has the ability, whether or not this ability conflicts
> with the processes that make noise attenuation possible on the chip is
> another matter.

Well, than maybe you would eplain this how a CMOS sensor would
support electronic shutter... Patent it, get your few billions.

Thomas
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 11:55:59 PM

In article <iN-dnZ2dnZ2Vn0mHnZ2dnRIzld6dnZ2dRVn-yZ2dnZ0@comcast.com>,
henrymot@coco.net says...
> > Certainly CMOS has the ability, whether or not this ability conflicts
> > with the processes that make noise attenuation possible on the chip is
> > another matter.
>
> Well, than maybe you would eplain this how a CMOS sensor would
> support electronic shutter... Patent it, get your few billions.

They already have electronic shutters for the CMOS sensors being
developed for use in cell phone cameras.

Could I explain how it works? Probably not.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
Anonymous

ThomasH <henrymot@coco.net> writes:

> On 20-Aug-05 21:15, Brian Baird wrote:
>> In article <jNSNe.9260$WD.8373@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
>> someone@somewhere.net says...

>>>CCD has the electronic shutter trick. It might come to CMOS someday.
>> Certainly CMOS has the ability, whether or not this ability
>> conflicts with the processes that make noise attenuation possible
>> on the chip is another matter.

> Well, than maybe you would eplain this how a CMOS sensor would
> support electronic shutter... Patent it, get your few billions.

Be a bit hard to patent, RCA did it in the 60s. ::thinks about US
patent system...:: Well, maybe not. Called a Flash Gate CCD, but
a bit pricey as it only works with back illuminated CCDs. It MAY
be doable with DDCCDs though.

--
Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
+61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 03:22:27 +0800, prep wrote:

> ThomasH <henrymot@coco.net> writes:
>
>> On 20-Aug-05 21:15, Brian Baird wrote:
>>> In article <jNSNe.9260$WD.8373@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
>>> someone@somewhere.net says...

>>> Certainly CMOS has the ability, whether or not this ability
>>> conflicts with the processes that make noise attenuation possible
>>> on the chip is another matter.
>
>> Well, than maybe you would eplain this how a CMOS sensor would
>> support electronic shutter... Patent it, get your few billions.
>
> Be a bit hard to patent, RCA did it in the 60s. ::thinks about US
> patent system...:: Well, maybe not. Called a Flash Gate CCD, but
> a bit pricey as it only works with back illuminated CCDs. It MAY
> be doable with DDCCDs though.
A Scots firm (sorry can't recall the name) made an slr that never went
into main production that had an lcd shutter and the mirror was a fixed
pelicule type. This shutter is the only truly electonic one that I have
seen described and it was patented.

--
Neil
Delete delete to reply by email