Computer wont recognize new graphics card

hobojo007

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
Hi all, I recently bought a new graphics card (Nvidia geforce gtx560 ti 448 core) and a new power supply (600w). For some reason my computer wont recognize the new gpu. I am 100% positive it is getting enough power, so that's not an issue. I also don't think it's doa either, because the fans still spin up.

I installed the psu/gpu in an acer aspire am3470-eb30p. I tried disabling the onboard gpu in windows 7, but it didn't help. I also entered the bios and made a few changes, which didn't help either. There is an option that says something about the integrated graphics enable/disable, but it will not allow me to get to that.

Any help is appreciated :)

l0v3rboi

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
Have you updated the BIOS at all? If the BIOS is older, it may not be recognizing the newer GPU and hence the problem.

Also, just because the fans are spinning doesn't mean its not DOA. Fans will spin as long as it receives power but the actual GPU may be dead. It does not seem to be though as you have mentioned going in to BIOS and changing things (assuming that you attached the monitor to the GPU).

I had a problem like this on a dell. First go into device manager and make sure the computer sees a card is there. If it does then good if not then you have bigger problems, dead card of slot.

If it sees the card go back to the desktop, right click and go in to screen resolution. Should show a blueish screen and one thats greyed out. click the greyed out one and tell it to extend desktop, once thats done and option should open up just under that to make it your primary display. hit ok unplug the cable from the onboard and plug it into the videocard.

hobojo007

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
joluk44:
is it black screening from the start?
Yes, it doesn't display anything when I plug the monitor into the card. I have to plug it into the motherboard to see anything.

aaronc8319:
Kinda a dumb thing to say but have you downloaded the latest driver and installed it?
I've tried to install the drivers for it, both online and with the cd, but I am unable to because it says it cannot detect the graphics card.

l0v3rboi:
Have you updated the BIOS at all? If the BIOS is older, it may not be recognizing the newer GPU and hence the problem.

Also, just because the fans are spinning doesn't mean its not DOA. Fans will spin as long as it receives power but the actual GPU may be dead. It does not seem to be though as you have mentioned going in to BIOS and changing things (assuming that you attached the monitor to the GPU).
No, actually. I'll try to update the bios. Where can you do that? Do I just do it at acer's website?

faalin:
I had a problem like this on a dell. First go into device manager and make sure the computer sees a card is there. If it does then good if not then you have bigger problems, dead card of slot.
When I go into device manager, the card is not there. My computer does not recognize it at all.

I was thinking that maybe my motherboard is bad, and the pci-e x16 slot is dead. Do you think dust in it could be an issue? I'll pick up some compressed air today and try cleaning it out. I sure hope that the card isn't dead. Maybe my motherboard just doesn't support a video card (Which I must say would be a dick move by acer)

l0v3rboi

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012

Ok so I'm just going to list the things I got from reading your post.
1) GPU fans are spinning but no video output.
2) MoBo video output works
3) Flashed the BIOS but did not work
4) Not recognized in BIOS or Device manager

There's only 2 things I can think of at this moment. One, the controller of the PCI Express slot is dead, which you already thought about. Or, two, the GPU is dead. Here are things I would suggest you do:

- If the GPU has 2 or more output ports, try using those and see if there is video.
- Try attaching the GPU to a different system (if you have access to one even if it is not yours) and see if it will output there.
- If you have another discrete GPU that you know works, try attaching it to your system and see if it will output video.

That should eliminate majority of the other options and would be safe to assume that the GPU is DOA.

hobojo007

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
Alright, I have some good news and some bad news.

The good: I got the card working last night. I sprayed the pci-e slot with some compressed air to get any dust out and it worked.

The Bad: The card stopped working today. I think the card may be coming out of the slot. My case doesn't have any screws to hold it in, just the bracket style thing, and it doesn't seem very tight. I think I may have to buy a new case :(

DomDunes

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012
I would return the card asap. Not sure where you purchased it from but Newegg is really good about returns, especially defects. If you call up and ask for a shipping label on your DEFECTIVE item (you must have the RMA already filled out) they will give you a free return shipping label without a hassle. You could also fill out an RMA directly with the company which is usually very reliable too, although you must pay for shipping.

joluk44

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2012

he said he got it working now and is having trouble getting it to keep running because of motherboard/case issues

you may not have pushed the graphics card in fully and so it may be connecting loosely. are you sure that its locked into place? it should be tight enough in your pci slot that you could *theoretically* (dont actually try it haha) turn it upside down and not have it fall out of the pci slot

i ran my 8800 ultra without any screws holding it in place for years, im sure its not drastic enough to cause it to keep failing. if it is still able to move and you are sure that you have it installed in the pci slot correctly, im sure your local hardware store will have some screws that will fit? i improvised my screws from a 1989 corolla stereo when i ran out haha

hobojo007

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012

Haha I like the custom screws:). I actually had to make the case custom because the pci slots didn't line up with the case slots, so I had to cut out some metal :) I don't think that's causing the problem though.

For now the card seems to be working good, hopefully it stays that way. I've been getting great fps in my games.