Sign in with
Your question

Hd 6870 overheat

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 1, 2012 10:32:19 PM

hello. i brought the PowerColor PCS+ Radeon HD 6870 (http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Graphics+Card...!+?productId=50101&rqcType=q#rqc) today for my advent cbe centurion 1401(http://www.trustedreviews.com/Advent-CBE1401-Centurion-...).
i took the gigabit hd5750 out and installed the hd6870. after that i went to play some skyrim, but after about 1 mins the game crashes, i checked the msi afterburner log, it shows the card raised from 45 degree to 73+. i also runned furmarks after, the card temperature gone up to 73+ in 20 seconds. Also i already changed the orginal 450w psu to a coolermaster 750w bronze.
Why is my graphic card overheated in a just 2 mins? is it my computer or the card itself?

More about : 6870 overheat

June 1, 2012 11:29:04 PM

73 isn't quite overheating. I'd only be worried if it's passing 85 or 90. It will probably auto-shutdown at about 100. Does it ever reach 85? If so, how long?
Related resources
June 2, 2012 1:43:26 AM

Why do you run your graphics card so hot? To shorten the life of the card! Laws of physics apply to computers also. Go to CCC and turn up the fan speed. Also Coolermaster is not known for good power supplies, alot of noise and ripple issues. I have never had my video card run over 48C and that is after hours of Crysis 2 on ultra settings and that is just an ASUS HD6850 V.2 , Power supply is an Antec earthwatts 650 no problems with this unit. Also I run a Corsair TX750 in another system no power issue with this one either. Just run your cooling fan a bit faster on the GPU and make sure the two PCIe power connectors are making good connections.
June 2, 2012 10:01:24 AM

jryan388 said:
73 isn't quite overheating. I'd only be worried if it's passing 85 or 90. It will probably auto-shutdown at about 100. Does it ever reach 85? If so, how long?

But once the card temperature pass 73, artifacts start showing and the game crashes shortly after.
June 2, 2012 10:05:08 AM

You can use CCC to auto adjust the fan as the card heats up. You can enable graphics overdrive and it will set the sliders automatically to how the manufacturer clocked the card. I use it for my 6870. Works fine and dandy.
June 2, 2012 10:25:16 AM

fantastik250 said:
You can use CCC to auto adjust the fan as the card heats up. You can enable graphics overdrive and it will set the sliders automatically to how the manufacturer clocked the card. I use it for my 6870. Works fine and dandy.

even if i put the fan speed up to 100% it only slows down the overheating, sometimes it shows artifact before game or furmark crashs.
June 2, 2012 8:31:57 PM

you don't have to enable manual fan control, the program will do it for you. But, it seems like it's overheating a bit too much. Is it getting enough ventilation or air flow in the computer case?
June 2, 2012 9:12:13 PM

fantastik250 said:
you don't have to enable manual fan control, the program will do it for you. But, it seems like it's overheating a bit too much. Is it getting enough ventilation or air flow in the computer case?

i tried opening the case, but again it just slowed down the overheating by a few a minutes.
June 2, 2012 9:15:46 PM

Do you have multiple video files open? or web browsers with video's such as youtube up? while playing a game? Or editing programs open? It's better to keep one windows open such as the video game only open. Or keeping one video file open if you have this much heat going on.
June 2, 2012 9:35:54 PM

If artifacts start showing up at 73C then it means the card is faulty. I would return it ASAP. It shouldn't artifact at any temperature, all it might do is shut down at 100C to prevent damage.
!