Will 5 year old corsair VX550 push a OC 3570K system with GTX 660ti

Adroid

Distinguished
Those of you who were kind enough to attempt responding to my first post, Tom's forum tools didn't work properly for me. I expect operator error, please excuse.... Anyway on to my post:

Running a Q6600 system that has been running strong overclocked to 3.0ghz for at least 5 years without a hiccup. My buy stuff finger is getting itchy.

Current build:
Q6600 @ 3.0ghz
Gigabyte low end mobo
4 GB corsair ram
Vista 64 bit ultimate
Corsair VX 550 PSU
GTX 260
Zalman CPU solid copper cooler with 120mm fan, about the size of a soccer ball
Antec 900
WD Caviar Black 1TB

New build:
Antec 900 stays
WD Caviar Black 1TB stays
Corsair VX 550 PSU stays (if it will push the new system) =x
3570K - will probably overclock
Gigabye probably the Z77 UD3P, since the cost is near identical to the D3H atm
GTX 660 ti or possibly radeon 7850 or similar
16 GB patriot XMP w/e 9-9-9-24
Windows 7/8 (would rather have 7 but 8 is quite tempting for 40$)

If I wasn't lazy, simple math may prove the Q6600 draws more power than the 3570K system. Simple math may also mislead me.

On a tight budget, seems like the corsair is sill running rock solid... Is there a program I should test the PSU with?

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
The corsair VX series was a very high quality unit for its price back in the day. Much higher quality than that of the current Corsair budget CX lines and probably just as good as Seasonic S12II and its derivatives / equivalents in the $50-70 range. It'll do ur build, no problem at all.

But still, its 5 years old so keep an eye open for killer PSU deals and an have an open mind. :]

Adroid

Distinguished
Hrmm thanks for your feedback. I noticed it has at MTBF of 100,000 hours of use.. That is 11.4 years of non stop? How do they even calculate that :D

Ok so a couple last words and one last question.

I kept my GTX 260 for now, I'm thinking of upgrading the GPU and PSU when the next gen cards roll out.

In the interim... What are my chances of damaging a system component while running this old PSU? I went with a Gigabyte Z77X DS3 (which needless to say I am VERY excited about ;)

Adroid

Distinguished
Actually lemme give my full build specs because I made a few small adjustments
3570K (will O/C after burn in, will probably do it after new PSU and new GPU. Current GTX 260 will be bottleneck anyway no need to O/C)
Cooler master 212 EVO
GA-Z77X-D3H
8 GB Patriot Viper 3 pc3 17000 2133mhz
Win 8 Pro
GTX 260 (will OC)
WD Caviar Black 1TB
Liteon whatever new SATA DVD drive
Antec 900 (old one I'm reusing)

Adroid

Distinguished

I have been looking for deals, and this one made me flip out

SeaSonic SS-660XP 660W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply
$104.99

I woulda bought it in a flash but it was gonna cost me 25$ since a live in Hawaii :(

Guess ill keep waiting for a free shipping deal