Hi,

When I click a download link in EI I used to get a dialogue asking if I want
to open or save the file and since I never open and always save I decided to
uncheck the "Ask me this every time" box thinking that it would now always
save... WRONG... the default is to open so now the file goes to some hard to
find temp location and is opened in WinZip etc so I now have to right click
the link and select "Save target as".

Q: I would prefer to just change the default handling to SAVE the file, but
if this isn't possible, how do I get the "open or Save" dialogue back?

Cheers

Andy

Andy,

Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
Double-click Folder Options.
Click the File Types tab.
Scroll down to and click the .zip extension.
Click Advanced.
Verify that Confirm open after download is selected.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Andrew Bailey" <andy.j.bailey@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> When I click a download link in EI I used to get a dialogue asking if I
> want to open or save the file and since I never open and always save I
> decided to uncheck the "Ask me this every time" box thinking that it would
> now always save... WRONG... the default is to open so now the file goes to
> some hard to find temp location and is opened in WinZip etc so I now have
> to right click the link and select "Save target as".
>
> Q: I would prefer to just change the default handling to SAVE the file,
> but if this isn't possible, how do I get the "open or Save" dialogue back?
>
> Cheers
>
> Andy

Hi Ramesh,

"Confirm open after download" is checked. Remember, this happens with all
downloads... .exe, .zip, .rar, .mov etc etc... it's a windows dialogue
thang.

Andy

> Andy,
>
> Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
> Double-click Folder Options.
> Click the File Types tab.
> Scroll down to and click the .zip extension.
> Click Advanced.
> Verify that Confirm open after download is selected.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org

Problem Solved...

START > Control Panel > Internet Options > Security > Custom Level >
Automatic prompting for file downloads < Enable

Andy

kelly

Thanks for the feedback and update, Andy.

--
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)