Sign in with
Your question

Need serious help.... Regarding trading setup...

Last response: in Systems
July 25, 2012 5:01:03 AM

Guys, need some kind advice here, please only comment if you have tried it before. Saw some quite nice guys here who have tried out the machines, so your input is greatly appreciated.

I intend to run the follow

2 internet browser that is full flash based. Can be quite memory intensive as it is all real time graph and feeds.

2 real time live news feed(there is live audio feed in them too)

1 live streaming video(news video)

1 outlook express

1 browser for my own leisure..

I am connecting 4 monitors to this setup, here is the rig i was thinking.

i-3570K(i will OC it to 3.7 to 3.8ghz)
Mainboard = any input? I was thinking Asus Z77 V or V pro
Asus or MSI 7850(so i can connect 4 monitors using Eyefinity)
2X8GB 1600(or u think should i use 1866Ghz?) Might upgrade to 32GB so i was thinking 2X8GB would be better for future upgrades.
Seasonic X Gold 660W
Cooler i will use Noctua D14(Or u think CM Hyper 212 Evo is good enough?)

Rest is not so impt so i wont state it....

Please have your kind inputs, looking to buy by tonight..

More about : trading setup

July 25, 2012 5:28:24 AM

since you're doing desktop buisness stuff.

You better include at least a 128gb SSD in your build so everything is "snappy", and then a 2nd data drive.
If you don't want to hassle with 2 drives, take a look at the new hybrid drive offerings.

No matter what browser you pick, it's going to use cache and disk space, so even that is affected by storage I/O.

Memory. IF 2x8 is the same price as 4x4 just get the 2x8. 1600 is enough. There is miniscule benefit to the faster ram, so don't pay a premium for it (in that you can spend that money somewhere else for more benefit).

Browser I would recommend whatever the site that you are using recommends/support. So check on the specific site and use the browser that that site recommends. There really are only a few choices Chrome/IE/Firefox.

The EVO is enough. If you are only going to go up a few hundred megahertz, you don't even need a 3570k. The cheaper non-k cpus overclock 4bins, so even the lowly 3450 which goes to 3.5Ghz +4bins=3.9Ghz with the presto of changing multiplier to 39. That saves you $60.

Then again, if you seriously are a financial trader, why are you concerning yourself with small bones like saving $60 here and there. You should just be getting an i7 top of the line build. $100 here and there should be like barely the 1days interest float on your margin account. If this is for crucial business, mis timing 1 trade wipes out whatever savings you are doing by not getting the fastest equipment.
Also, time is money, and you should just outsource your build to a custom builder so you can maximize your time.

But anyhoo, off my soapbox rest is fine. hope some of my comments helped
m
l
July 25, 2012 5:33:51 AM

Thanks buddy for your kind input! It really help me alot.

Anyway just few pointers i wanted to ask.

I don't mind going I7 actually thats why i was asking for some inputs, and i was reading somewhere that processor is NOT really important when i run just browers, is that true??

And I can't have the system lagging, so you mind i5-3570K clocking it at 4.2 to 4.3ghz is good? Well i would need help overclocking that though =P Although i knwo asus has the software that it overclocks by itself... And ya i have a SSD...

Can i have you input on that?
m
l
Related resources
July 25, 2012 5:33:56 AM

Hey,
if you plan on getting more then 16GB RAM you will need Windows 7 Pro 64bit or Ultimate 64bit. Home Premium supports up to 16GB Max.

As for the pc,
CPU = I'd upgrade to the 3770k. Programs can make use of the hyper threading .
Mainboard = Asus Z77 V will be fine, pro just provides 2 extra sata ports and a few features you might not use e.g. wifi.
Graphics card = Asus 7850 DC2 would be nice, very good cooler to keep it cool and quiet. Just make sure you get the correct cables to run 4 screens.
RAM = try to go for single pairs, tend to be faster i.e 16GB = 2x 8GB not 4x 4GB. 1600 vs 1866 not a real difference
PSU = Seasonic is good
Cooler = D14 IS MASSIVE, make sure your case is big enough. Also VERY quiet, I don't even hear mine when running at 4.6GHz and my case is on my desk next to me.
SSD = Add and SSD, Intel 520 or Corsair Force GT
m
l
July 25, 2012 5:36:45 AM

Thanks guys for all your kind input.

Is there any other motherboard you would recommend? More or less i am set on rams, now i am just thinking of CPU and motherboard... Maybe the cooler too? I would probably overclock it to 4.1 to 4.2ghz using asus software... Cause i think it will help in the system performance right???

What is you guys input on a 2133Ghz ram then? Overkill? Or even 2400Ghz?

I don't really know if i need so high end stuff for what i am doing.. I don't wait to overspend.
m
l
July 25, 2012 5:36:51 AM

desmondjavetan said:

And I can't have the system lagging, so you mind i5-3570K clocking it at 4.2 to 4.3ghz is good? Well i would need help overclocking that though =P Although i knwo asus has the software that it overclocks by itself...

Yep, stay with ASUS, their AI Suite software does all the tinkering with a click of a button, just need the right equipment e.g. K processor, good cpu cooler decent RAM
m
l
July 25, 2012 5:41:22 AM

desmondjavetan said:
Thanks guys for all your kind input.

Is there any other motherboard you would recommend? More or less i am set on rams, now i am just thinking of CPU and motherboard... Maybe the cooler too? I would probably overclock it to 4.1 to 4.2ghz using asus software... Cause i think it will help in the system performance right???

What is you guys input on a 2133Ghz ram then? Overkill? Or even 2400Ghz?

I don't really know if i need so high end stuff for what i am doing.. I don't wait to overspend.

OC depends on your cooler. Cooler CPU = higher OC. OC will make your pc faster, but only up to a certain point where it can become unstable. If you want a high OC motherboard you would look at something like the ASUS Maximus boards that will provide much higher OC and should provide a more stable platform when OC

RAM, 1600/1866 will be fine, 2133+ is probably overkill.
m
l
July 25, 2012 5:42:09 AM

Actually to be frank guys.

I WAS thinking of spending on a
i7-3930K
Asus P9X79 Deluxe
2X8GB 2400Ghz Ram.
MSI Power Edition 7970.

Extreme overkill for what i need?
m
l
July 25, 2012 5:44:08 AM

zander1983 said:
OC depends on your cooler. Cooler CPU = higher OC. OC will make your pc faster, but only up to a certain point where it can become unstable. If you want a high OC motherboard you would look at something like the ASUS Maximus boards that will provide much higher OC and should provide a more stable platform when OC

RAM, 1600/1866 will be fine, 2133+ is probably overkill.

I think i will go for 1600Ghz then.. How about for CPU/Mobo?

I really have no idea which ones are good for my use. As in i do not want a overkill machine that i dont make use of. But i thought Maximus board is for gaming?
m
l
July 25, 2012 5:45:24 AM

desmondjavetan said:
Actually to be frank guys.

I WAS thinking of spending on a
i7-3930K
Asus P9X79 Deluxe
2X8GB 2400Ghz Ram.
MSI Power Edition 7970.

Extreme overkill for what i need?

lol, that pc will be faster then a 3570 / 3770 build, but not by much.

IMHO I would settle with a 3770k and OC it, but if you can afford the 3930k then by all means go for it :) 
m
l
July 25, 2012 5:45:53 AM

you sort of said 2 contradictory things.
on one hand you say processor is not important
but on the other hand you are worried about system lagging.

Nobody can tell the actual workload and cpu power you are going to need, but you will have to guess.

If it is vital you get it right the first time, and you want to take ALL uncertainty out of the equation, then just pony up for the fastest processor you can afford.

The overclocking these days are extremely easy even with the locked processor for a mild overclock.

If you want to use the software, all you need to do is drag the setting for "multiplier" higher.
In bios, you just navigate to the field and type in the higher number.

I happen to have an Asus Z77 V and a 3540s.
So yes, Asus V also has 1-button overclock, and when i run that decided to set my mulitplier from 35 to 37 (3.7ghz) and increase my clock from 100->103 (so total of 3811). Maybe that's good enough for you if you want the software to do it for you.

This is a non-k processor so it allows +4. So instead just drag the slidey bar to the maximum of 39 and I'm at 3.9Ghz.
I decided to reduce the clock back down to 100 so I don't need to worry about stressing out the RAM. Didn't need to touch anything else, cause I don't need to squeeze every last bit out.

That's pretty easy, yah?
Speedstep is active, so when comptuer is idle, it goes down to 16 (1.6ghz) and everything stays cool and quiet.

With the unlocked, you can go up to +63. Somewhere in there your computer will get unstable. But mild overclock to add just a few "bins" should be easy as just changing the multiplier number, and don't need to fiddle with anything else
m
l
July 25, 2012 5:49:10 AM

the z77+any i5 or higher is going to be fine.

The more you try to fine tune, the more you are just going to get frustrated.

Mobo+cpu isn't going to matter so much for you. It is more important for people with huge computational tasks like rendering.

For the purposes you described, I suspect the choice in video card is going to be more important. If you want to spend more, go overkill in that area to ensure it can keep up with 4displays.

Heck, buggy flash development/plug-in implementation is probably going to be a bigger issue for you then choosing the above.
m
l
July 25, 2012 5:52:02 AM

raytseng said:

Mobo+cpu isn't going to matter so much for you. It is more important for people with huge computational tasks like rendering.

For the purposes you described, I suspect the choice in video card is going to be more important. If you want to spend more, go overkill in that area to ensure it can keep up with 4displays.

Thanks buddy your input really knock senses into me lol. Now which Z77 would you guys think would be ideal? Z77 V, or the Maximus series?
m
l
July 25, 2012 5:53:02 AM

zander1983 said:
lol, that pc will be faster then a 3570 / 3770 build, but not by much.

IMHO I would settle with a 3770k and OC it, but if you can afford the 3930k then by all means go for it :) 

Thanks buddy ur input is really valuable to me. How about motherboard? Is Z77 V sufficient? Or u think should i go something like Z77 Sabertooth or Maximus V Extreme, Formula or Gene?
m
l
July 25, 2012 5:53:25 AM

raytseng said:

Heck, buggy flash development/plug-in implementation is probably going to be a bigger issue for you then choosing the above.

+1

You will need to put some serious horsepower in to run the 4 screens at high res, so 7870, 7950, 7970 would be fine.
m
l
July 25, 2012 5:56:42 AM

Any asus z77 is going to be fine. If you aren't going to use the extra features, you don't need them. You would probably be OK with even the lower level Asus z77 items.

The reason why i got the z77-v (no suffix) is because i want a quiet build and it has advanced customizable software fan controls that I use.
Also, it has built-in wifi which I don't use now, but is somewhat handy.
So for these 2 features I paid extra for it.

The other stuff, is only for the serious hardcore overclockers and you don't need those features. You would be better served just using that money to spend on either a more powerful cpu (and not futz with overclocking) or video card (if it is for gaming). Only if you've maxed that stuff out, then perhaps you need those fancy boards to squeeze out even more.
m
l
July 25, 2012 5:58:10 AM

zander1983 said:
+1

You will need to put some serious horsepower in to run the 4 screens at high res, so 7870, 7950, 7970 would be fine.

What is ur take on Asus DCUii 7850 TOP ?
m
l
July 25, 2012 6:00:36 AM

i disagree to some effect.
You'll need a serious horsepower to run 4monitors worth of GAMES.

But for 4 monitors worth of browsers, you won't need the state of the art (but maybe you will want to play a game or two maybe on 1 monitor).

That being said, I don't have 4monitors; the most I've played around with is 2, and a 8year old video card did fine with that. I wouldn't suspect 4 would require the razor's edge newest card.

So...I think the 7850 should be fine. Just make sure it has the right setup of connectors that make sense for your monitors
m
l
July 25, 2012 6:01:01 AM

desmondjavetan said:
Thanks buddy ur input is really valuable to me. How about motherboard? Is Z77 V sufficient? Or u think should i go something like Z77 Sabertooth or Maximus V Extreme, Formula or Gene?

Z77 V = perfectly fine board
Sabertooth = 5yr warranty (personal choice)
Maximus = best for OC

Heck, the Z77 WS would actually be the best option.
m
l
July 25, 2012 6:04:35 AM

Now sorry for being a pain in the ass. Would 660W PSU be sufficient? I run my PC for long hours. Or should i go for Corsair ATX750W?
m
l
July 25, 2012 6:07:36 AM

seasonic 660w will be sufficient, especially since seasonic is noted to be "accurate" with their ratings

Really you only need much more to feed hungry dual video card setups.
m
l
July 25, 2012 6:12:31 AM

okay last 2 questions regarding my setup before i post my final build...

Mobo like Z77 V and Z77 VLK the difference is just features like the fan controls(which i highly doubt i need it, i am not going for extreme OC, cause i only using asus software to OC) and the wifi? There is no other difference like better or more stable ?

SMART DIGI+ - Get a Blazing Performance Boost and CPU Wattage Cut in Half!(This function is Z77 V is quite cool.. does it really work?)
Network iControl - Real-time Network Bandwidth Control(I like this too since what i do its important for our network speed.. For V LK)

All V77 boards are able to use the asus software to OC right?

For CPU Cooler, Is CM Hyper Evo sufficient ? Or should i go Noctua D14?
m
l
July 25, 2012 6:20:50 AM

no, i don't think you will see any differences in normal use if you don't use the extra functions.

The fancontrols I actually use to make my computer quieter more than louder during use. Right now, my data HDD is the loudest thing in my build.

EVO is sufficient if you are not going for extreme overclocks. It is not puny, it is a pretty robust and for good reason it is a top seller. It is also very quiet at regular low speeds

I read around that you can easily handle 4.1/4.2 at sustained 100% loads on the EVO.
D14 it is reported you can push then to 4.5 or so and keep up with that at 100%.

again remember with intel speedstep, even if you OC, when your comptuer is idle it'll go down to 1.6. When you are playing a game for hours is where you need sustained cooling to keep up with the hours of 100% load
m
l
July 25, 2012 6:26:23 AM

Final built after all experts helping me:

i7-3770K
Asus Z77 V LK
Asus DCUii 7850 TOP
2X8GB RipjawX 1600Ghz
Corsair GT 120GB SSD
Seagate 1TB HDD
Sony x24 DVD RW
Seasonic X Gold 660W
CM Hyper 212 Evo

How does that look?
m
l
July 25, 2012 6:30:06 AM

About the various other asus functions

1) smart digi- this is more important for big companies with racks of computers where you are worried about the electricity bill which is actually an issue for big companies.
For a singlehome use, If you're using the computer, you might as well spare the extra few watts. If you want to save on power, you could do it easier by turning off your computer, or just switch your light bulbs to something more energy efficient. Heck remember you are running 4 monitors lol.

2) network icontrol. This app does work to allow you to give different applications network priority. So like if you have some unimportant downloads you can set that to have lower priority to make sure your game network traffic gets served first and you can play your game without lag.
However, again, I'm a single user. So I would rather just stop/pause the downloads and play my game. You should also note that if you run this app, it requires a few % cpu to run in the background. So for that reason i uninstalled it

There are some cool other network features such as being a second router, pre-setup to be media server and sharing, and ability to use your android or iphone as mouse/keyboard over wifi, but i don't use those either. Again, if you install these asus apps, they seem to take a couple % cpu to run in the background also.
m
l
July 25, 2012 6:35:27 AM

desmondjavetan said:
Final built after all experts helping me:

i7-3770K
Asus Z77 V LK
Asus DCUii 7850 TOP
2X8GB RipjawX 1600Ghz
Corsair GT 120GB SSD
Seagate 1TB HDD
Sony x24 DVD RW
Seasonic X Gold 660W
CM Hyper 212 Evo

How does that look?

congrats on your build. looks good
Some people would say go for a different ssd, most people here are partial either to crucial m4 128 or samsung 830 series.

Also, i think for not much more you can get 2tb hdd . Since it is for data, you do not need a fast HDD for data.

Finally, this is your own preference but if you're already spending so much you can optionally upgrade your disk drive to be a bluray reader or blu-ray burner even.

You didn't mention a case, but that is personal preference and not my area of expertise. But there are a lot of cool case functions. Not must-haves but some people enjoy them
m
l
July 25, 2012 6:40:10 AM

raytseng said:
congrats on your build. looks good
Some people would say go for a different ssd, most people here are partial either to crucial m4 128 or samsung 830 series.

Also, i think for not much more you can get 2tb hdd . Since it is for data, you do not need a fast HDD for data.

Finally, this is your own preference but if you're already spending so much you can optionally upgrade your disk drive to be a bluray reader or blu-ray burner even.

You didn't mention a case, but that is personal preference and not my area of expertise. But there are a lot of cool case functions. Not must-haves but some people enjoy them

Was thinking of either Corsair 600T for its fan control, or CM 932, or CM 912. =D

Thanks guys, did it with all your help. Now i regretted selling my previous built which is amazing similar to this. I sold it 2nd hand at a 25% loss. OMG. Only difference is that it is a V board with a i7-3770 CPU...
m
l
July 25, 2012 6:42:11 AM

Yes, congrats on the build!

I know I said Corsair SSD, but the Intel 520 series SSDs are probably the best on the market atm, slightly more expensive but you get the 5yr warranty

[EDIT] With cases, the more fans you see the louder the case tends to be.
m
l
July 25, 2012 6:50:30 AM

Now i have a serious problem. Seems like only Powercolor 7850 Edition supports 2X DVI and 2X Mini Display port...

Any inputs on that GPU? Or u think i can just grab a DVI > HDMI convertor and use asus dcii 7850?
m
l
July 25, 2012 7:00:11 AM

desmondjavetan said:
Now i have a serious problem. Seems like only Powercolor 7850 Edition supports 2X DVI and 2X Mini Display port...

Any inputs on that GPU? Or u think i can just grab a DVI > HDMI convertor and use asus dcii 7850?

The ASUS DC2 has the better cooler (and better card IMO). Just get a HDMI to DVI adapter and you'll be fine, something like this http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_...
m
l
July 25, 2012 7:15:12 AM

desmondjavetan said:
Thanks i think i need the adapter to from dvi > hdmi.. anyway, do u think i need a i7? or u think i5-3570K with OC will do fine?

For a gaming rig I would go 3570k. Workstation I would go 3770k, only $100 more, but as Raytsend said in the 2nd post

"then again, if you seriously are a financial trader, why are you concerning yourself with small bones like saving $60 here and there. You should just be getting an i7 top of the line build. $100 here and there should be like barely the 1days interest float on your margin account. If this is for crucial business, mis timing 1 trade wipes out whatever savings you are doing by not getting the fastest equipment.
Also, time is money, and you should just outsource your build to a custom builder so you can maximize your time."
m
l
July 25, 2012 7:41:08 AM

Thanks. Have decided to go with 3770K. Getting my system built up =)
m
l
July 25, 2012 7:55:51 AM

Congrats (again) :p 
m
l
July 25, 2012 7:58:53 AM

zander1983 said:
Congrats (again) :p 

thanks to u guys
m
l