hxcheyo

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cpb0
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cpb0/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cpb0/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 612 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($47.49 @ CompUSA)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($115.73 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($45.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($134.95 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($48.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Antec 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($88.74 @ Mwave)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS424-98 DVD/CD Writer ($23.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1095.86
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-07-25 01:59 EDT-0400)

OK so i just put this sucker together and it won't POST.

3 of 3 fans spin up, rear and front case fans + the fan in the hyper 612. POWER ON light is lit on the motherboard. Optical drive will eject and retract...but no POST (as in the monitor does nothing, doesn't display squat). RAM is fine because the motherboard comes with a MEMOK light that stays on if my RAM is rubbish, and it didn't stay on, just flashed and went away. Front panel power on light is lit.

It's plugged in to a computer monitor via VGA.

Did i put too much thermal grease? Did my graphics card short out (doesn't make sense cuz my cpu has integrated graphics)? I didn't tighten the motherboard screws that hard so i couldn't have messed up the motherboard, especially considering everything's powering on....

First build btw

help???

hxcheyo

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
Also, my computer is supposed to beep if there's a problem and i heard nothing. I found a little wire w a cylinder at the end labeled "speaker." I'm assuming this was where the desktop outputs sounds considering there's no other way it could. I stuck it into the spdif 4pins-in-a-row slot in the motherboard with the cylinder just chillin in free space. Assuming the sound comes out of the cylinder.

hxcheyo

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
UPDATE: i had the speaker plugged into the wrong slot, i put it where it belongs and i get 1 short beep on startup.

According to my mobo, this means no keyboard is detected. I'm using a usb keyboard and usb mouse, do i need one of those old keyboards with that weird plug?

are you using the usb ports in the back?(not in the front with the case)

also do not use any usb 3.0 ports until you have windows installed

hxcheyo

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
Not sure which i was using, to be frank i don't know the difference between USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 slots. However, i do know where they are. I'll try it again using only the 2.0 slots (2 of em, i'll stick keyboard and mouse in there).

As an aside, i tried pushing buttons on the keyboard and i had stuff light up on my front panel even though the keyboard technically wasn't recognized...

Will get back to you shortly

hxcheyo

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
OK here's what i did:

plugged in usb keyboard and usb mouse into the 2 USB 2.0 slots i have sitting beneath the PS/2 slot on the back of the computer (connects directly into motherboard). No VGA connected. Turned computer on, got 1 short beep, which is odd because the no VGA beep code should be 1 long beep followed by 3 short ones according to my manual.

Tried it again with VGA plugged in (VGA works cuz monitor says cable is plugged in but no signal) and i STILL got 1 beep and nothing on the screen.

thoughts?

hxcheyo

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
Faulty motherboard even though everything's lighting up and fans are spinning? I bought it off a shelf in microcenter, thought this would be safer than having it shipped to me where it could get damaged in transit.

for now, do not attempt to turn on the computer with the gpu inside, temporarily use the motherboards igp to go through the bios and get the computer working first

of course this means disconnecting the gpu entirely, and pluging vga cable to motherboard

hxcheyo

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
This is actually the second monitor i've tried but i'll try another. How do i default to onboard video? (the cpu is ivy bridge and should supposedly have pretty good integrated graphics). Do i just remove the graphics card?

first thing i would suggest in the bios is set the usb to legacy drivers and the storage type from IDE to ACHI if you can find it.

hxcheyo

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
Thanks!!! Should i be concerned about that beep?

Storage defaults to AHCI, says so in the motherboard manual. Does that mean i should shut it off, stick the SSD back in, and turn it back on again? I won't have windows 7 till tomorrow, so i have to set boot priority to optical drive or something like that right? which means the optical drive has to go back in...

yes set the boot to optical drive, change it back when windows is installed

hxcheyo

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
ok cool. I think i know which the SATA power cables are, i have a bunch of them in series. Got 1 connected to SSD and 1 to optical drive.

About the legacy thing, i found an option that said "enable uefi and legacy", "disable uefi", or "disable legacy." by default the enable both was selected. What does that do?

Hope my gpu isn't effed up, will reply tomorrow once i got windows 7 loaded and the gpu driver installed from the disk it came with.

the uefi system was created for compatibility issues so you can change settings without use of an operating system of some sort. Legacy is just a more universal driver that allows things like keyboards and mice to work with basic functions till a driver has replaced it in a way. I had someone use legacy drivers at one point and helped them install windows, i only asked it again incase something happened.