Sign in with
Your question
Solved

6950 - 4 Monitor Set Up

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 2, 2012 12:49:46 AM

Hey, I'm really having trouble setting up 4 monitors for my 6950. http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681... this is the card that I have. I have 3 monitors which I want to run in eyefinity and a 4th monitor (tv) that I want to run on the side for other stuff.

I may have accidentally bought some wrong cables so I was hoping someone could help me, this is what I have:

4 DVI - DVI cables.
3 HDMI cables.
1 DVI to Minidisplay port cable.
1 HDMI to Display port cable.
1 Display port to Mini display port cable.

Yes I have a lot of cables and can't figure out what I should do to get it working.

What I have tried is running the TV hdmi cable to the display port to the mini display port and that runs fine. Then I can connect 1 monitor by dvi to dvi and the other monitor with the dvi to mini display port. I can't get my third (4th) monitor to work. It seems that when I plug it in all the displays stop working. What should I do, please help.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: maybe this will help, but I've read that I need to use 2 active display port cables to run 4 monitors, is this really the case?

More about : 6950 monitor set

a b C Monitor
June 2, 2012 1:34:06 AM

koromo said:
Hey, I'm really having trouble setting up 4 monitors for my 6950. http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681... this is the card that I have. I have 3 monitors which I want to run in eyefinity and a 4th monitor (tv) that I want to run on the side for other stuff.

I may have accidentally bought some wrong cables so I was hoping someone could help me, this is what I have:

4 DVI - DVI cables.
3 HDMI cables.
1 DVI to Minidisplay port cable.
1 HDMI to Display port cable.
1 Display port to Mini display port cable.

Yes I have a lot of cables and can't figure out what I should do to get it working.

What I have tried is running the TV hdmi cable to the display port to the mini display port and that runs fine. Then I can connect 1 monitor by dvi to dvi and the other monitor with the dvi to mini display port. I can't get my third (4th) monitor to work. It seems that when I plug it in all the displays stop working. What should I do, please help.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: maybe this will help, but I've read that I need to use 2 active display port cables to run 4 monitors, is this really the case?

Not on a sapphire flex. Because the sapphire flex is special, you can run 4 monitors via 2xDVI+1xHDMI+1xminiDP. I have exactly the same graphics card & I have tried this set-up before where 3 screens is for gaming via Eyefinity & the 4th screen act as control center. I have problem with framerates dropping to I do away with it but that was in older catalyst. I will try it again in the 12.6 and see.

With regards to connection, you can do this:
Monitor 1 via DVI using straight DVI cable
Monitor 2 via DVI using straight DVI cable.
Monitor 3 via DVI using the miniDP to DVI cable
TV via HDMI via the HDMI port using straight HDMI cable.

m
l
June 2, 2012 1:41:44 AM

randomkid said:
Not on a sapphire flex. Because the sapphire flex is special, you can run 4 monitors via 2xDVI+1xHDMI+1xminiDP. I have exactly the same graphics card & I have tried this set-up before where 3 screens is for gaming via Eyefinity & the 4th screen act as control center. I have problem with framerates dropping to I do away with it but that was in older catalyst. I will try it again in the 12.6 and see.

With regards to connection, you can do this:
Monitor 1 via DVI using straight DVI cable
Monitor 2 via DVI using straight DVI cable.
Monitor 3 via DVI using the miniDP to DVI cable
TV via HDMI via the HDMI port using straight HDMI cable.

Thanks a lot for the response. What I have now is:
Monitor 1 via DVI use straight DVI.
Monitor 2 via DVI using miniDP to DVI.
TV via HDMI va the HDMI port.

When I plug in Monitor 3 via using the DVI cable all monitors go black, what's going on?

Edit: Once again if it helps, these are the 3 monitors I have: http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=2...
m
l
Related resources
a b C Monitor
June 2, 2012 2:43:02 AM

Try to mix the cabling around.
Monitor 1 via DVI use straight DVI.
Monitor 2 via DVI using miniDP to DVI.
Monitor 3 via HDMI

See what happens. If these work, then add the TV via the DVI->VGA adaptor (if the TV have PC input).

For your info. I updated to 12.6 & it was very smooth update. Glad AMD finally did better. But somehow, I can not add TV as 4th display like before. I came from 12.4 and I am sure I am able to do it. I will try & check this again & let you know. But it should not stop you from trying the above because our configs are not the same.
m
l
June 2, 2012 2:49:07 AM

If I ignore the TV, I can the three monitors working by:

1 through miniDP to DVI
1 through DVI to DVI
1 through HDMI to HDMI

There appears to be a problem when I connect a monitor DVI to DVI when it's the TOP DVI port on the card. I tried setting up 2 ways:

Monitor 1 DVI to DVI (bottom port)
Monitor 2 DVI to miniDP
Monitor 3 DVI to DVI (top port) <- this monitor will stay black

Monitor 1 DVI to DVI (top port) <- this monitor will stay black
Monitor 2 DVI to miniDP
Monitor 3 DVI to DVI (bottom port)

But I know that the top port works because I have in the past used that port to dual screen (before today).'

Quote:
See what happens. If these work, then add the TV via the DVI->VGA adaptor (if the TV have PC input).

I don't have a DVI -> VGA adapter. The problem with my TV is that it MUST use an HDMI cable, and from what I've gathered so far, the card can only receive 1 HDMI input? So this means that I have to use 2x DVI, 1 miniDP and 1 HDMI I guess. So the problem lies in why does the top DVI port not work?

STRANGE UPDATE: I have all 3 monitors working with 2x HDMI 1x miniDP. I have the TV plugged in via the HDMI and it is recognized but when I try to extend it I get: A desktop or display must be disabled.

When I put the 3 monitors in eyefinity and try to extend the TV, I get a problem saying: This operation is not supported based on current display configuration.
m
l
a b C Monitor
June 2, 2012 3:04:19 AM

The Sapphire Flex should have the DVI->VGA adapter in the box. Check if it's there & it gives you something else to test.

What Catalyst version are you in?
m
l
June 2, 2012 3:05:55 AM

I'm on Catalyst version 12.3
m
l
a b C Monitor
June 2, 2012 3:13:59 AM

What about the DVI-> VGA adaptor? Are you able to find it in the sapphire flex box?
m
l
June 2, 2012 3:22:50 AM

Unfortunately it doesn't appear that I got a DVI -> VGA. My box came with a DVI to HDMI and miniDP to display adapter. Should I try updating catalyst to 12.4?
m
l
a b C Monitor
June 2, 2012 3:24:44 AM

koromo said:
I'm on Catalyst version 12.3

As an after thought. I realized that I started having problems with > 3 monitors connected to Flex only lately perhaps starting on the 12.x versions. If its not much trouble for you, try using the versions in the CD that came with.

koromo said:
Unfortunately it doesn't appear that I got a DVI -> VGA. My box came with a DVI to HDMI and miniDP to display adapter.

Strange. Here is the picture of the included accessories.

koromo said:
Should I try updating catalyst to 12.4?

No No No No... :) 
m
l
June 2, 2012 3:27:30 AM

I can't use the CD because my DVD drive is broken! :( 
m
l

Best solution

a b C Monitor
June 2, 2012 3:29:48 AM

The sapphire flex only supports 3 monitors without an active adapter. a passive display port to DVI/HDMI cable will NOT work. You MUST use an active adapter.

" the SAPPHIRE HD 6950 FleX supports three DVI monitors in AMD Eyefinity mode and deliver a true SLS (Single Large Surface) work area without the need for costly DisplayPort monitors or Active adapters. The first two monitors are connected to the two DVI ports and the third to an HDMI to DVI cable (supplied) with no extra hardware required. Up to five simultaneous, independent monitors can be connected if you choose to include the use of DisplayPort monitor or active adapter"

www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102929
June 2, 2012 3:34:04 AM

OK so I do have the miniDP to display adapter that came with the card, will this make one of them active display?

EDIT: To be clear, I don't understand what it is that I need? Is the cable that came with my 6950 an active adapter? I have the 3 monitors connected 2x DVI 1x DVI -> miniDP. I just tried connecting the TV HDMI to HDMI -> Active display -> MiniDP and it's the same problem as if I just plugged the HDMI cable directly into the HDMI port (cannot do this with current configuration etc).
m
l
a b C Monitor
June 2, 2012 3:42:25 AM

koromo said:
OK so I do have the miniDP to display adapter that came with the card, will this make one of them active display?

Nope that's just a plug adapter. its still just display port.

You want an active mini displayport to dvi-d single link adapter. they are about 30 bucks

http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-don...
m
l
June 2, 2012 3:46:39 AM

unksol said:
Nope that's just a plug adapter. its still just display port.

You want an active mini displayport to dvi-d single link adapter. they are about 30 bucks

http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-don...

Ohhh I see. Thanks, this clears up quite a bit.

I'm curious as to how randomkid was able to use 4 displays with a similar setup though? I was under the impression that he was using a setup similar to what I was trying (no active display).
m
l
a b C Monitor
June 2, 2012 3:47:36 AM

unksol said:
The sapphire flex only supports 3 monitors without an active adapter. a passive display port to DVI/HDMI cable will NOT work. You MUST use an active adapter.

" the SAPPHIRE HD 6950 FleX supports three DVI monitors in AMD Eyefinity mode and deliver a true SLS (Single Large Surface) work area without the need for costly DisplayPort monitors or Active adapters. The first two monitors are connected to the two DVI ports and the third to an HDMI to DVI cable (supplied) with no extra hardware required. Up to five simultaneous, independent monitors can be connected if you choose to include the use of DisplayPort monitor or active adapter"

www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102929

Good catch, unksol. I missed that possibility that OP uses miniDP to DVI cable which is passive.
m
l
June 2, 2012 3:54:03 AM

Ah I see. I wasn't entirely aware of what was going on with the passive/active adapters.

So with what I have now, if I buy 1 active display port -> DVI for 1 of my monitors, I will be able to run the 4 display setup? (will do 2x DVI, 1x active miniDP -> DVI, 1x HDMI)

You guys helped me out a lot with understanding how this works, thanks so much.
m
l
a b C Monitor
June 2, 2012 4:10:04 AM

koromo said:
Ah I see. I wasn't entirely aware of what was going on with the passive/active adapters.

So with what I have now, if I buy 1 active display port -> DVI for 1 of my monitors, I will be able to run the 4 display setup? (will do 2x DVI, 1x active miniDP -> DVI, 1x HDMI)

You guys helped me out a lot with understanding how this works, thanks so much.

Yes. You should be able to with the active minidisplay port to DVI adaptor.
m
l
June 11, 2012 2:14:07 AM

Best answer selected by koromo.
m
l
!